Hughesnet / unethical sales

1 MD, United States

I contacted Hughes regarding reconnecting my service on Dec. 29. I own my equipment and did not have to purchase it new. The agent was told this. After agreeing to the service and giving my cell phone number and credit card, I found that I was to be charged for an equipment lease fee, which I already own, a new installation, and was signed up for a 24 month service contract with a $400 disconnect fee. I cancelled immediately. On January 7, I received two letters from a company stating that I had signed up for their Internet and Identity protection service for $19.95 per month by HughesNet. If I had not called to cancel that also, I would have been charged. I also received a telemarketer call from Marriot's on my cell phone on January 8 because HughesNet must have shared the number. My cell phone number is private, and this is the only company that I have given it to as I rarely use it and had to use it to call HughesNet when I ordered. This is highly unethical behavior. I want the harassment to stop immediately.

Bh