Hughesnet / download limit!

11717 Exploration Lane, Germantown, MD 20876Germantown, MD, United States Review updated:
4.65
Phone: 301-428-5500

I found out the hard way (running a very small business at home), that even with the professional plan, there is 425MB download limit per day on this service. THAT was never pointed out to me as part of "fair service usage". Once you hit that limit, your internet service "dies" for 24 hrs. There is no notice, no email, no warning, just degradation of service regardless. I phoned the support (scripted foreign nationals), and finally was transferred to Portland, OR, and then to a supervisor with the same script. They don't care, and there is nothing you can do about it. I have 5 months left on my contract... then goodbye HUGHESNET!!! I won't deal with a company that has no other options than to double your spending per month. I already bought everything, paid for installation and pay $60/month. This is ridiculous in a day/age when everything is "log on, on-line"... anyone with a solution, feel free to contact me. I don't have access to cable, or DSL where I live. Only way to reach HughesNet is really thru their corporate headquarters: Hughes Network Systems, LLC.

11717 Exploration Lane
Germantown, MD 20876 USA.

Comments

Ph
  22nd of Feb, 2008
I agree Hughesnet is a ripoff. Being a home user they said download speeds were around 500-700kb/sec, but in reality the actual transfer rate is around 100kb/sec, and can be as slow as 25kb/sec. When you go over your download limit they say your bandwidth is reduced, but you can still browse. My average browseing rate when over the limit is 0.8kb/sec. This "service" is also three time more expensive than dsl.
Ja
  28th of Feb, 2008
Hughes.net came out to install our internet service, which was supposed to be 69.99/month, and the equipment was free.That was the deal.
Then I got a bill for $488.00 + for the equipment !! I called God only knows how many times to them, to billing,which
is in a foreign country. They told me numerous times it would be resolved.
Then came the next bill, same thing. Keep in mind this is at a residence still under construction, and we aren't even
connected to their service yet.
THIS COMPANY IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD EVER !!!
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!
In
  1st of Apr, 2008
Yea Hughes.net tried to get me to sign up in Georgia with a $100 sign up fee & a $100 a mo. service fee. I already have direct tv so i didn't want another dish, I recommend anyone in GA not to sign up with HughesNet. It's a trap! Get AT&T for $35 a mo. or Verison(I think they all are liars!!! The speed is no different on any of them, it's your computer!!)
Hf
  16th of Jan, 2009
HughesNet may be the worst company I've ever dealt with (more accurately, the worst company whose executive officers are not yet indicted). Every contact from installation (a local franchise that surcharged us for mileage, claimed the installation was atypical--which it most certainly was not-- and added an unauthorized and unneeded booster) to technical support (some chap in India who calls himself Kevin and whose apparent role is to persuade customers that the problem is in the original hardware, which requires a service call) to customer care (a voicemail menu that either puts you into an automated billing queue or transfers you to Kevin) has been a nightmare. Unfortunately, out here in the mountains of New Mexico we can't get cable access, and the only satellite competitors do not permit customers to shut off service for part of the year, which is what keeps HughesNet in business in an area where most customers are vacation homeowners.

It may also be relevant that the credit card we used exclusively for HughesNet business had fraudulant charges posted with businesses in the Baltimore area.
  26th of Feb, 2009
There is a major flaw with the Fair Access Policy and HughesNet's documentation of this policy.

The policy states:

"What do you recommend I do during the Download Period?
We recommend that you automatically schedule your system updates during the Download Period. We also suggest the use of a download manager software application to assist in the scheduling of large file downloads."

What the major flaw is that Windows System updates do not work this way. They download at any time and only install the updates at the configured time. This can easily be validated by examining the System Event viewer on any Microsoft system.
Mo
  22nd of Jan, 2010
I have HughesNet in the country where DSL or another high speed internet option is unavailable. When I bought the service I was told that I would get 800K downloads and 128k uploads. This is true if I use the internet between 1AM and 7Am. In the afternoon and evening my download speed is about 30k. Dial-up internet gives you this speed and it is much cheaper. Also web response is faster. You don't have to wait forever for the website to respond and begin loading. You also don't get all of the DNS error messages and the others that ocurr so frequently when you try to use Hughesnet at peak times.
It is obvious that HughesNet has over subscribed their satellites and they cannot handle the demand. They are only interested in making money and not serving their customers.

If you have an option, get any other internet service, and you will have less cost and/or problems.

It pisses me off to see Hughesnet commercials on TV telling how great and how fast their service is. THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE!!!
Cl
  29th of Mar, 2010
You know my mother had hughesnet, and it was just a real big mess. I moved out to a rural area and had no choice but too get it for my business. I'm afraid now of always reaching the red. I can't send back video files i help in creating. Hell, pics are about 5MB and that takes so much of my daily percentage away. I don't even get to send my music files which i remaster for myself and my label CBG Entertainment, from which i have two albums out now. I am working on my third at the moment. but i can only send at night, and then i'm worried i'll go over my limit, so i only send for about four hours and then i have my pc cut off. Thanks, Clinton B. G.
To
  2nd of Apr, 2011
"belonged to "Arthur" but got sent to my address and was in my name"

So was the account in your name? or was it in Arthurs name? How could it be both?
To
  2nd of Apr, 2011
Clinton, there is no upload threshold...why are you limiting yourself on the uploading?
Bu
  29th of Jun, 2012
Data limits were never discussed when I signed up. I reached mine in 8 days. They wanted me to 'upgrade' at double the money. I cancelled immediately and now they are billing me for equipment they refuse to pick up. The same installer came and uninstalled the equipment, but said he couldn't take it with him. I am filing in small claims for $1.00 in actaull and $4999.00 in punitive damages for fraud.

Hughes Network Systems Logo Hughes Network Systems