Hughesnet / hughes.net email is in the dark ages!

I had my email under Direcway for 4 years until somebody, without my consent and without amending my service contract, switched it to "Hughes.net." Now I cannot relay email, nor can I use another ISP to receive email. Under Direcway, I could use a local ISP which was on all of my stationary and internet accounts. This ISP had an excellent Spam and virus control which I could set the sensitivity and delete the spam myself. Now, I have no idea if there is any spam or virus control with Hughes.net because they have no settings for it. In my Eudora account which defaults to a "dominant" personality, Hughes.net will not allow the relay. In addition, they claim that some of my recipient's email addresses, one of which is my nephew, may have been forged and refuse to deliver the mail! I have tried to talk with techs from India, who even a Hindi couldn't understand, and he was hopeless. It is a mess and a breach of the original contract that I had with Direcway! I am prepared to set up a blog to fight these incompetents. If you want to help, pleas email me - although you may get a message that my address has been "forged."

Va
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Je
      14th of Nov, 2018
    Hughesnet - Internet and customer service
    Toledo
    Ohio
    hughesnet.com

These are the rudest customer service reps EVER!. They don't tell you, you are in a 2 YEAR CONTRACT. They provide horrible service all around. Do Not connect their service!!!

12th of Nov, 2018
    Dracut
    Massachusetts

eta fee no refund no English speaking reps is there nothing we can do

• Ge
      14th of Oct, 2018
    amarillo
    Texas

They guaranteed me a price of $59.00 a month with a two year contract, and on the 3rd month they went up to $80.00, and the service was so slow, i can't even use it!

• Ff
      5th of Sep, 2018
    Hughes Network Systems - Ripping me off
    Florence
    Oregon

My internet renews on the 14th of every month my husband used our computer for 1 hour and the went on vacation out of state no one was home our one computer off came back 3 days later and it's saying we have no internet left
    They won't let me speak to a manager
    Filing a credit card claim in the morning
    Jnana carroll case number 107618246t

• Pa
      3rd of Sep, 2018
    Hughes Network Systems - voice
    Hardy
    Arkansas

Why cant we get a local phone number. I have been informed we cannot even get an 847 area number, we have at least 7 prefixes in the area. This results in all calls coming in are long distance. We were assigned an 501 area number which is the area about !00 miles south. I f we cant get an area number why are we not informed of this upfront.

• Ki
      1st of Sep, 2018
    Hughes Net - hughes net satelite internet
    Rule, Texas
    Hughesnet.com

I have never had Hughes net service nor have I ever resided at the service address yet I am being billed and harassed with threatening credit consequences and measures by Hughesnet if I don't pay this $60 bill for last month of service????

28th of Aug, 2018
    Hughes Network Systems - internet

50 gigs in 3 hours gone really need a call asap we paid 450 for our equipment and for data to move that fast got to be a ripoff we had this problem for a while need someone to contact us asap or we will be going public with this 803-570-0421

• Ra
      16th of Aug, 2018
    Hughes Network Systems - Vsat
    udaipur
    India

Your tech support is drastically poor, one of the worst service I have ever seen...in my life I'll try to switch from your as many ways as possible. I have no good words about Hughes...

• El
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Hughes Network Systems - Installed dish on rental house without owners permission
    Sumter, South CarolinaSumter

House installed at 3350 Wilton sumter sc I do not want anything installed on my roof you need to ck tax records or something to verify that your customer owns home the renter called to have it removed but now I gave to repair roof my name is Ellis Daniel at 803-934-6025 home owner

• Ro
      31st of Jan, 2011

Now I dont feel that my nightmare was wrong. I have read everybody compliant about Hughesnet. Why are we letting them get away with this. Now understand I have never filed a suit before but in Hughesnet case we need to do something. They will continue to screw people of these United States of American . I wish somebody would file on there but with the fcc. There billing is out of this world and no they dont respond to letter that you write why because they dont have to They are Hughesnet. I have nine more month on there contract. if I have to do without inteent service so be it because i live on a rural area where Hughesnet find all there people like me. I am so upset. We need help!

14th of Dec, 2010

Cant stand Hughes net. They said it was Very fast. Next to comcast being a 10 Hughes net is a 1. Don't get it. I hear broadband is faster? Hughes net rep said Nasa uses it there so fast. Well I have had nothing but trouble. The internet rarely works at a decent speed. When it does it won't for 2 days in a row. It doesnt have a decent speed until late at night. during the day if the computer has been on to long forget it. My computer I took to my office and it ran perfect on verizon so its not my computer. It's the crappy provider.

23rd of Jul, 2010

I totally agree with everything. I made the mistake of switching to Hughesnet. Did not sign a contract. Have not been able to open up my email thru hughesnet. It shows I have 21 emails, but I can't read them. I called the company to say I was disappointed and want to cancel my service with them. They informed me that I had to stay with them for another 5 months or pay an additional $250 for early cancellation. This is a ripoff!!!

• St
      16th of Jun, 2010

SIR/MADAM,
    I M FROM INDIA(my email add: [protected]@yahoo.in), I GOT THE FOLLOWING MAIL, IS IT TRUE ?
    NOW DIPLOMAT DAVID REX IS IN INDIA(MUMBAY)
    HE CALL ME TO COLLECT THE PRIZE AND HE DEMAND 29.000 INR AS CUSTUME DUTY.
    HIS CELL PHONE NO. IS +919820395002

(I)Dear: e-Mail Winner,

The WINDOWS LIVE & MICROSOFT WINDOWS has set out and successfully
    organized a Sweepstakes marking the beginning of year anniversary. We
    rolled out over 10, 000.000.00 (10 million e-mails) to mark the 2010
    Anniversary Draws.Participants for the draws were randomly selected and
    drawn from a wide range of web hosts which we enjoy their BETA patronage
    attaching personalized email addresses to ticket numbe which subsequently won you (One Million Pounds
    Sterling)(£1, 000 000) as one of the 10 jackpot winners in this draw.

Please contact our fiduciary agent for claims with the contact below
    Agent.

Congratulation!!!

Sincerely,
    Rose Woods (Mrs.)

(2)DEAR WINNER

In this regard we want you to be aware that our Diplomat David Rex will leave United Kingdom this evening to Deliver your winning package(1million pounds sterlings) to you in person in INDIA. So you are advise to clear up your Winning package from the Custom Deprtment as soon as the Diplomat gets to INDIA.

Dr. David Rex the Diplomat will give you a call immediately he arrives INDIA and also notify you through email. We hope this be a better option for you. As soon as you clear up your winning package from our Diplomat, Kindly inform us for further correspondent and to update our records.

Also note that your details have been forwarded to our Diplomat Dr. David Rex, as soon as you receive his phone call you are to proceed further with him so that your won price money can be credited to your local bank account.

Name: Diplomat David Rex
    Arrival Date: June 14th 2010
    Note: Your won price will be arriving your country within 26 hours

Once again i say congratulations and do keep us informed of the present situaition.

Best Regards,
    Carl Robbison
    +447010039919
    PARCEL(A cheque from H.S.B.C. BANK issued in your name) DISPATCH FROM UNITED KINGDOM TO INDIA.

• 0 Votes

Hughesnet:

a) Lied about installation costs
    b) In writing they promis a refund--I was installed on 04/29/10, I requested service turn off on 05/04/10, the company received their equipment in good condition at the Maryland facility on 05/19/10
    Today when I was in an email chat with a woman in the Philipinnes (other than sales--there are not US call centers--understand, no US call centers) there is no refund to be found--start the process all over again.
    c) I was promised a rebate on the purchase of the equipment--turns out that the rebate company in ME is nothing more than a mailbox--no rebate--also no way to track the rebate--the mailbox was not even shwred enough to put in a fake website.
    d) Got outstanding cable (Roadrunner, through Time Warner)--when looking over the installation, the Time Warner guy was able to show the installation flaws that led to the dissatisfaction.
    e) perhaps if I had spoken with somebody in the US who had some ide of how to help me I would not have cancelled. But if this comapny will not invest in my ownm economy who needs the yellow togued skallywags

• Ig
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I absolutely agree - 1000%! I have literally spent 20 to 40 hours to 60 hours per week on the phone with them - until 4:00 a.m. I absolutely wish I was exaggerating. I have had problems during all hours, not just peak; and have been given every excuse in the book - and have been required to do the same things over and over, again (they're just troubleshooting, of course, but never can seem to fix any of their problems). This takes hours during for each phone call. Thank God, I am out of a contract, but don't know who to trust, at this point. Do not get into a contract with this one!!

• Ri
      1st of Dec, 2009

Hughes net sucks Iv'e also got g-mail which I totally depend on because hughes net is junk the better business bureau should make akk atemps at shutting them down and that hughes internet service is a big time rip off I did most of our installation because hughes sent out this over weight fibbled minded lazy ### to put up the dish and do the wiring what a joke this clown was totally pathitic and then they had the nerve to charge me $125.00 my contract is up the 22 of this month Dec 2009 and trust me their gone and I plan to use the dish for my 270 target practise (STAY CLEAR OF HUGHES)

• Np
      15th of Aug, 2009

We moved from Michigan where I had cable for tv and internet. ( I miss them so much ) It was directway when I moved to Ohio and may I add we are out in the country with cows and very few houses and this is only internet you can get. I have not been able to use there home page or get mail as it always says my name or password is not right so I call they get me in I change pass word ( which was right to start with ) the very next day is same, so I told them if you need to reach me I give them my yahoo address as never have trouble with name or pass word. I was never told about the fair access policy till one day nothing would open so called was told I had to many down loads so when he checks he tells me is from windows updates, antivirus and other scan from internet explorer so he says I tell you this please to set them to run from 2a.m till 6a.m...for this I got slow running computer for over 24 hours...I don't listen to music have lime wire and then last Friday I got it again. every time they get a new box it says is free...but cost use $125. and they bill you credit card before you get any thing. We pay our bill on credit card because for them to send us a bill in mail would cost another $5.00...do you all remember they said all you need is a clear sky to get internet they never said how much it will cost you and everytime they tell you you have a 2 year contract. trust me if there was another internet here I would been gone. plus when we first got it it cost us $700. and we had to wait and wait but they make sure they bill your credit card while you wait...in ohio there have people from W.V. to come here and many have truck trouble or sick...list is long! I think for almost $70. a month I should not have my speed cut off for 24 hours...what do I pay them for? I hate here service...when I have to call for help I get headache and blood pressure goes up as you can't understand them and I tell them right off I am NOT Bill gates so go slow...lol and they give you so many number to write down as case # in case you need to call again. Maybe together we can get this unfair policy back off and maybe before I die I can get in to my mail in hughes.net

• Hu
      24th of Jul, 2009

cant understand the damn pakys. and i even ask for someone who speaks clear english and they are no better!!! the FAP sucks ### cnat stand it.. im working off of FAP on right now.. at least once a week it does this... its a rip off.. DO NOT GET HUGHES NET!!! IT SUCKS BIG FAT BLACK ###!!!

• Li
      14th of Jul, 2009

signed up for hughes net and cancelled the same day after eating up megs. setting up computer. and being cut from internet. sent back equipment and received a e mail saying parts are back ordered? we replied twice that we had cancelled and can't get a paper response, only their assurance by voice that a refund will be generated once they get our $ from credit card. same old song and dance, they said they e mailed us a cancellation confirmation but didn't, said they can't send a second? we can't contact them by e at customer service because we don't have hughesnet e account, because we cancelled. no address e or USP to contact, no other way but phone across the oceans to get satisfaction...not to be had. called and wrote our credit card company and hope for help. get hughesnet and you are in for a disappointment and a lot of aggravation

• Pa
      2nd of Jul, 2009

I've been having a lot of problems with Hughesnet myself. We moved from the basic package to the professional package (and of course, costs more) and for about a week it seemed to be better. Now, months later our service is worse than dialup and no one at hughesnet seems to give a hoot. I tried to download a file tonight (45 megs) and it was going to take almost 3 hours, so I cancelled the download. I've not downloaded any files from online purchases for a couple of months now and do expect when I want to, to be able to execute this quickly and efficiently. Over the last 6 weeks I have had mega problems with my uploads to and when I do a speed test, often find an upload speed of anywhere from 0 (yes, 0) to 57 (unless I want to stay up until 2am in the morning when I can upload between 99 and 157). I am at my wits end. I rely on my internet service as an online instructor and an artist selling digital products. Unfortunately, living in the boonies I have very few options ... I am looking into Wild Blue that some use and are happy with (although they seem only to do general browsing) ... but it seems until I can up and move from this locale I am stuck paying over the odds for a service that is inferior to the dialup I had previously. When I enrolled in this service it was still DirecWay and I had absolutely no problems at all (it was awesome in fact). I think this is a case of "we need a critical mass" of people all willing to sign a petition and send it to the appropriate authority about this organization (the name escapes me but my son knows where to send it) ... Does anyone know if a petition has been initiated or a lawsuit against hughesnet?