Hotwire.com / avoid hotwire.com!

Hotwire.com
www.hotwire.com

Beware when booking hotels through Hotwire.com. In their "T&C" it stated that there "may" be additional fees. Even though hotwire knows there "will" be additional fees, they will not disclose that information to you.

I made a hotel reservation in downtown New Orleans, LA. I thought I received an incredible rate for a 4.5 STAR hotel. I will not mention the hotel name, this is not their fault. Only after booking the reservation the consumer can find out the brand name of the hotel. Once I checked the hotel's website I found out about the additional parking fee, almost 50% of the daily room rate, which hotwire was aware of and refuses to disclose to the consumer. I contacted Hotwire Customer Services and was rudely told that Hotwire does not offer refunds. There is no reason that can be given, that will qualify for a refund from Hotwire. I then asked for a supervisor and she refused to refund my reservation also. After discussing the situation, she refused again. She then asked if I had any additional questions, so I asked a gain for a refund. She explained to me that this issue has already been discussed and asked if I had any other questions, so I asked for a refund again. She began to get rude and refused to discuss the matter any further. She kept referring to the "Terms and Conditions" of the website.

I suggest that nobody ever use a company that will not refund a purchase.

Hotwire.com is run in a manner that they do not care if you are a return customer because they got your money this time. Sooner or later they will run out of disgruntled customers and have to close their doors. I hope this can assist some would-be consumers to avoid Hotwire.com.

Va

Comments

5th of Oct, 2007

Hotwire cannot know which hotels charge which fees for what. Many hotels charge a fee for parking and parking is considered an "incidental" therefore it is seperate from the Hotwire room and tax. You would have had to pay this additonal parking fee even if you booked this hotel room directly with the hotel and not Hotwire. What proof do you have that they did know of the fees? You just sound like a person who doesn't read the terms of use and buy anyway.

• Ji
      14th of Nov, 2007

If you want WORST service in travel solutions online try: Anyfares.com

2nd of Jan, 2008

Bought some tickets to Mexico, found rates really good with Anyfares.com http://www.anyfares.com Hotwire isn't that bad though but they do have a lot of complaints online, no question. I use Orbitz sometimes too and compare with Anyfares with Kayak as well. Searching is important, lot of sites because big sites.

• Ky
      16th of Jan, 2008

Hotwire has no way of knowing (or at least of indicating before you purchase) what hotels will charge parking fees. They do inform you before you book that it is a possibility. That information is in the terms of use, which you seem to only have read casually. With regards to the supervisor, wouldn't you get indignant if somebody tried to bully you into the response they wanted by asking the same question over and over?

• Mi
      17th of Jan, 2008

It seems like hotwire.com would be ideal if the area was booking up fast and you needed a space quickly. I was looking at the their website and just by looking at a specific weekly rate I knew what hotel it was. Personally, I think doing the booking on your own time and asking questions is your best choice. I would never go with a .com service that's not willing to refund your money after doing whatever they could to accommodate you. I was also surprised to see that they weren't able to specify the type of room you'd be getting or whether or not it's smoking or nonsmoking, but that you'd get a room.

9th of Apr, 2008

I booked 2 flights and got a super deal from Vayama.com and Anyfares.com. Vayama.com got me a great rate to Europe and Anyfares.com got me the best deal to Mexico. I shopped and couldn't find a cheaper price. Both gave me instant etickets and ticket protector insurance included without extra fees. So I don't know how these companies could be any worse when they treated me fine.

13th of Apr, 2008

I found Hotwire to offer the best price on rental cars, I saved with them and flights to Boston from California. They aren't that bad and Vayama.com and Anyfares.com were cheap on flights to China. They were neck and neck on the price that Orbitz was a lot higher. I wouldn't leave Hotwire off the wagon if you want a cheap price, just insure your ticket with the right insurance if you choose to get out of it.

8th of May, 2008

Anyfares.com works fine for me.

17th of May, 2008

I didn't have any issue with Anyfares except for one small issue and that was my insurance work but I emailed them and they took care of it so I was please either way.

17th of Jun, 2008

I booked a flight on Hotwire and Anyfares, both were fine both reserved the tickets I wanted for the price I was looking for, can't say anything bad about them, they helped me.

• To
      4th of Oct, 2008

I've used hotwire to book for a 3-star hotel and I got really dissapointed. hotwire listed their 3-star is comparable with double tree etc.., it turned down the so called hotel I booked was a motel upgrade.
    The room area is only about 12x12 ft only enough for a single small size bed with television. The internet is horrible it took me almost 45 minutes to log in since the signal is not working strong.
    The worst thing is after I contact hotwire for my feedback they kept insisting that their rating is correct. The bottom line is : I paid for the price of the hotel 3-star but stay in a less than average motel.

• Br
      29th of Jun, 2009

I agree there are limited number of fees and with any system now a days, they should be able to list common fees that will be charged by the hotel. Every hotel around me has free parking and mine is pay for parking

• Ka
      27th of Sep, 2010

I don't know what the criteria is for Hotwire in judging how many stars a hotel rates. Went online and thought I was getting a 4 star hotel and ended up with "The Westin Bonaventure" in downtown Los Angeles. In some ways the hotel is a 4 star (outward appearance, lovely lobby area, nice pool, glass elevators, great view from higher floor rooms), but the small rooms, dismal carpeting, annoying putrid smells in rooms and elevators and bad lighting in hallways don't rate as 4 star. I don't think the "you get what you pay for" applies here. I thought that Hotwire was supposed to advertise good deals. A 4 star according to them was supposed to be along the lines of the Omni (which I've heard nothing but raves about). As I see other reviews I'm seeing this hotel is actually a 3 to 3.5 star. Hotwire needs to get their star ratings correct. Don't say a 3 to 3.5 star hotel is rated as a 4 star. Plus the Westin was pet friendly. I lOVE dogs and am the proud owner of my beloved dog, however, you just don't drop a client in a pet friendly hotel without inquiring. Just because I LOVE dogs, doesn't mean everyone does. It's worth a mention especially since my husband and I experienced an unhappy dog that was left in a room on our floor, unattended and whining for over an hour at night.

Hotwire really needs to send someone out and I'm talking about a surprise visit to check out the hotels that they have contracts with to get accurate star ratings.