Home Warranty / Horrible Service

1 United States

I have had First American Warranties on both of my homes for some time. While some of the service has been acceptable, my most recent encounter with this company has caused me to close my accounts. I will never do business with them again. While they are the cheapest of the Home Warranties on the market, you get what you pay for. The microwave in my rental was broken and I called First American to send a repairman. They confirmed a date and window of time. I made arrangements to list the property for sale and scheduled an open house based upon the date and time of the service call. The service was to be through Sears Home Service, another horrible company. Sears never showed up and I found out later that Sears had cancelled my appointment without letting me know. When I called First American and asked for someone to come within 24 hours, they refused and told me to go find my own repair person. They did offer to reimburse me for the charge, but the whole reason I have home warranties is so that I don't have to find my own repair person or pay a large out of pocket expense. Ultimately I just purchased and installed a new microwave because it was easier than going through the hoops that First American was making me jump through. I asked First American to reimburse me for the cost of the microwave minus what a service call would have cost me and they refused. It's not the money that I lost that upsets me, because it was minimal, microwaves are cheap. But it was the horrible customer service, the lack of assistance, and the lack of ownership that drove me away from this company. They clearly do not care about their customers, are standoffish, lack follow through and professionalism. My recommendation is to NEVER use First American. I have filed a complaint with the BBB as well. I urge you to not choose this company if you are in need of a Home Warranty.

Ca