Hewlett Packard / support for a printer installation hp officejet pro 8720

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 by   User
Cliffwood, New Jersey
I contacted the HP web site as prompted by the printer and once arrived I started an online chat - the agent was unable to wirelessly connect my printer and he asked me to hold on while he sent the chat session to a more experienced agent - that 2nd agent proceeded to tell me that my brand new computer had been hacked by the Topiq malware and that they were not able to connect my printer because of this malware and they needed to transfer to a level 6 Microsoft technician - once connected to this level 6 Microsoft technician he demanded $400 to purchase security software - I tried to explain that I had purchased security software from Geek Squad plus I have a network firewall through my cable tv and internet provider - this agent with an Indian accent proceeded to become annoyed with me and told me that my cable tv company and the geek squad would not be able to help me and I needed to purchase his software right then - when I asked for a ticket # or a customer number and a phone # so I could discuss this situation with my husband he refused and began insisting that I make the payment right away and I hung up and contacted Geek Squad who assured me that my computer had not been breached and there was no malware on my computer and my firewall was up and running and all virus definitions were of the most current - he ran 2 scans and everything was working perfectly and he then was able to connect to my printer wirelessly and he was able to install the printer successfully.

I can't believe that HP would recommend support for their product that allows agents to try to rip off their customers by making up stories about fake malware - there is enough of real malware going around without this make believe stories - how can HP be affiliated with thieves? I will not purchase HP Products every again based on this experience and I will tell everyone I know to be wary of HP Support agents because they lie and try to steal money from you - this agent was trying to convince me to cancel my credit cards and to alert my bank that my computer had been hacked and it was all a lie to try to steal a few hundred dollars from me which is very upsetting considering I had just purchased an HP all in one computer with a 27 inch screen plus this 8720 all in one office jet pro printer - I will never purchase another HP product again based on this experience, I thank God I investigated before I became a victim of this fraud.

HP should be more careful what companies they allow to use their name - this is really a disgrace. Shame on HP.

Angela M. Thomas - Cliffwood NJ
Complaint comments Comments (1)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

A  18th of Jan, 2018 by  User  Agree Disagree 0 Votes
you got the scam of not our fault but pay us and we will fix it wink wink
issue is with the hp software I would guess, I have had many issues with hp printers in the past
there help/support is absurd

Pl Please check text spelling before submitting a comment
Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree

Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company Logo Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company
Customer Care Service