Hewlett Packard / faulty motherboard

Dear HP,

You can keep the $100, 000+ of Hewlett Packard equipment I (and the companies I have purchased for) have spent with you over the last fifteen years. Though we’ve been together a long time, it has come time to part ways. I feel like I am ending a long romantic relationship. We’ve been through a lot together but I still have a lot of good buying years left.

You see, you’re just not the person I met fifteen years ago. Back then you were attentive and accommodating. When I had a problem you’d work with me, as a team, and we’d both be happy at the end. Now, however, it has really become all about you and I feel like as the years have progressed you have just taken one liberty after another with me and now this relationship has become all about what I can give; and what you can take from me.

There are a lot of youngsters out there who have expressed an interest in trying to make something meaningful together and truth be known, I’ve really started to listen to what they’re saying while my faith in you has just continued to dwindle. I find myself in a sad place as I know that tomorrow you will just go out and find someone else to fill the void while I will be trying hard not just to find somebody to take your place but someone who’s truly worth everything I have to give; something that will last a lifetime. Though it comes at some great personal pain to end this relationship to which I have become so accustomed, the promise of a new, happier life is with someone special is just too great an opportunity to pass up.

So this is farewell. I am looking forward to a life without data loss, cheap and faulty components, and your deaf ear and cold shoulder to cry on. I really do wish you the best in life and will always look back fondly on the good times we had early on in our relationship. All I hope is that at some point you will see that in the end…

It’s not me…it’s you.

Yours truly,

CW
[support case information removed for privacy] (backround below)

The past twelve months of my professional life have been characterized by continuous hardward failures, inadeduate support, and sub-standard products. It all began with a faulty RAID controller on a proliant server but in the end it is a $700 pavillion desktop that has me saying goodbye forever to Hewlett Packard.

In 15 years of being an IT buyer and a SERIOUS brand advocate for HP, I hve NEVER had this many problems with HP's products, support, and customer service. In twelve months I have experienced two major failures in my proliant servers, a bad hard drive in one laptop, the same issue in a netbook, and now a faulty SATA controller in a pavillion desktop. With each failure came the loss of priceless data and countless man hours worth of work.

For the first time in many years I had to call HP support today and I am appauled at what HP considers to be customer service these days. The inbound call center was located inIndiaand the support and escalation process with deplorable.

Now...I outsource to India as well and completely understand the economic benefit of $3/hr labor, however, are we really still learning that India and other countries are NOT the best place to centralize customer service operations?

My phone call began with Jeff (his assigned name I am sure) in regards to a disfunctional SATA controller installed on the Pegatron M2N78-LA montherboard. I was informed by Jeff that in order to disgnose (yes you read that right, DIAGNOSE!) the problem, I would have to pay $100 via credit card. I was less than enthusiastic about paying $100 to diagnose a what is obviously a hardware failure in the integrated SATA controller on the motherboard of this unit. Jeff informed me that my desktop computer was "Out of Warranty" and that he was unable to help without collecting th $100. I informed Jeff that I would not be forking over $100 so that he could tell me my SATA controller was bad. Jeff then basically told me I was SOL and without paying the fee, I wasn't going to make any progress with him. Jeff and I continued to go back and forth on the matter whilst he consistently reminded me "There is nothing free in this world" to which my response was "The computer wasnt free". After about 40 minutes of our back and forth banter about what I expect customer service to be and what HP is willing to provide "by policy", I asked to be escalated up in the process. Jeff informed me that his supervisor "Refused to speak to me" as it is against policy to do so under HP rules and guidelines. I fought Jeff for another twenty minutes about letting me speak to this Supervisor; who he named as "John" when Jeff figuratively threw up his hands and simply stopped responding to me. That's right, didn't hang up (because apparently that too is against HP policy) but instead, just let me talk to myself for ten minutes. At the end of those ten minutes Jeff's voice appears again and his only words are…

“Sir, I am transferring you to a supervisor now”.

I am placed on hold for just a moment and a new voice (self identified as Deeta) appears on the line. Deeta reiterates that because my computer is a few months out of warranty, I will have to provide the $100 necessary to diagnose my computer. I ask Deeta point blank…

“This computer is just over a year old and the on board SATA controller has gone bad. Is HP going to be willing to replace this component or am I going to be expected to pay for it?”.

Deeta’s response was this…

“If the on board SATA controller is bad, you will need to purchase a new motherboard at your own expense.”

So…For this $700 computer I need to pay $100 additional to have HP “Diagnose” the problem then another $300 for a new motherboard?

I don’t think so.