Guardsman / Warranty

Company will do anything and everything to not fulfill warranty proection. Worst money I ever spent. Do not buy!
They make you submit all kinds of paper work and after a few phone calls where I had to repeatedly describe the incident, I used the word 'scratch' to describe a tear that did not fully go through the sofa fabric, they said 'they do not cover tears'. I could almost hear the 'aha' as they waited for a word or description that they do not cover.
Sold by LaZBoy (actually encouraged) as full coverage if you rip, tear. burn, poke...but is completely false.
I thought I was being proactive reporting the tear before it became a bigger problem, but now, if it does open up, it will be classified as 'wear' and is not covered.

De

Comments

• Do
      3rd of Jul, 2008

GUARDSMAN FAILURE TO HONOR WARRANTY ON UNTREATED LEATHER FURNITURE FROM FINGER FURNITURE . I HAVE MADE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO GET SERVICE, HAVE EVEN GONE TO THE STORE ITSELF. MY NEXT STEP IS GOING TO BE SMALL CLAIMS.

• Pa
      1st of Jul, 2009

I hate this company also! They will try not to honor the warranty by making you do tons of paperwork, and then deny the claim because of the wording used to describe the mark on the furniture.I decided to appeal their decision.That meant more phone calls, paperwork and then photos in order for them to finally honor the claim. Then get this! They send this ignorant jerk out to fix it with a crayon! Now it looks even worst then before! At this point, I just gave up and now have a throw blanket strategically placed over the spot!!!

• Ig
      20th of Jul, 2009

I purchased the Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan for close to $400 to warranty the lawn furniture. I thought I was buying peace of mind. I called on a tear in the welding along the leg of a chair. It states in the warranty that I am protected if the " chair weld breaks apart". After days and days of waiting and paperwork back and forth, I received a form letter that said that MY chair weld break was not covered because it was a manufacturer defect. I asked how did they determine that it was a manufacturer defect because basically anything that could happen to my lawn furniture could possibly be qualified as a manufacturer defect...if they try hard enough.
    The service rep just kept repeating the warranty rules, never answered my direct questions, would not give me the CEO's name or adress and eventually just hung up the phone.
    I would NEVER RECOMMEND GUARDSMAN TO ANYONE!!!

• Ms
      14th of Sep, 2009

I am currently going through the same problems as the people above.

• Th
      21st of Dec, 2009
    Guardsman - unfair
    Guardsman
    Grand rapids

This company has operations in all 50 states. They are the worst warrantry compaany in the world. They dont honor thier commitment-contract they try to denie all claims and I work for them.

• Fa
      2nd of Feb, 2011

I too have been cheated by Guardsman. I bought the insurance at the urging of the saleslady at Haverty's in San Angelo Texas. 14 months later, my recliner refused to recline and made a grinding noise. I sent and re-sent the forms, Four times I sent them the complicated paperwork, and each time they claimed not to have received it. Finally, I sent it again, this time registered, certified mail. Two weeks later, after hearing nothing from them, I called. At first they claimed never to have received the paperwork, but when confronted with my signed receipt from their mailroom, the suddenly "found" it. Then, they refused my claim because they said I hadn't sent the paperwork in soon enough! What a bunch of cheats! Do they routinely just throw away all the claims in hopes of just wearing us down?

• Mh
      20th of Jul, 2011

I AM SO PISSED, I FEEL I GOT RIPPED OFF. HOW CAN WE FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT?

• Ve
      31st of Oct, 2011

i was just denied a claim because i did not report it within 5 days of the occurrence. When i told them that i was not aware they said that they couldn't do anything. Never again Guardsman. Sucks

• Lk
      7th of Dec, 2011

I was sold Guardsman via ScS, when we were offered it we were told that we could have the the suites cleaned no more than twice a year for the next 5 years which was totally acceptable, if we had a stain they would also clean both suites, which again was totally acceptable. We have had several problems with the sofa's so we we went into ScS to get there advice, they advised us that we had to call Guardsman, We called Guardsman and explained the situation who said that the information provided by ScS was not correct as the policy does not cover the suite to be cleaned unless there is a stain, if we were told this we would not have bought the policy as there are companies out there that would clean the suites for a lot less than the policy that cost me £240. The problem that we had with the sofa's is fading along with Cushion collapsing ScS said that as it was over the year store guarantee it was down to guardsman, called guardsman and they said it was the stores problem. The store has yet to call us after a week of promising to call and we have yet to hear from Guardsman - DO NOT BUY GUARDSMAN

• Pe
      14th of Dec, 2011

I bought a sectional from Galleria in Oklahoma City (don't even get me started on them) they talked me into the guardsmen protection plan and I thought great I have kids that will spill stuff and may cause damage to my furniture so I bought it. Well I started a claim in September to have the sagging cushions taken care of and the spilled stuff from my kids. They sent me some spray stuff that didn't work at all so I called back and complained and after weeks of sending paperwork finally got it approved to have my furniture cleaned by a "professional". Well this idiot came out 2 weeks later and used a CARPET CLEANER on my chenelle sectional and ruined my furniture! My husband didn't know and he was told that he had to stay 2 feet from the representative at all times and that he preferred to not be talked to. He also left our sectional SOAKED in cleaner and was damp for over a week. I had to submit a complaint form and pictures and was never called back. I've had to call them everytime. Well after a month of waiting they advised me that I can either keep the ruined couch and take $300 or take a store credit for the purchase priceminus delivery or taxes. So for me to have my $1000 + sectional replaced with no out of pocket on my end I have to take a lower priced piece of furniture. I want them to at least cover the taxes and delivery as well as the purchase price. Still fighting so we shall see. Don't buy their product they are horrible and if I ever treated my customers like that I would be fired.

• Ih
      3rd of Feb, 2012

Report Guardsman to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) to protect us consumers.
    I reported a claim after 20 days. Prior to that i already called Ashley Furniture where i bought the furniture, they told me to call Guardsman and have the policy number ready. I do not have the poicy, so we tried to look for it first. It was during the holidays on December so we were busy. When we finally had time to look for the policy we called Guardsman and they gave us a form to fill out then we sent to them via mail in a P.O. Box.. And when tried to follow they said it was not honored and they sent me a letter saying so. When i asked them why? they said it should have been reported to them 5 days from time it was damaged. I said it was the holidays and we did not have our policy number at that time which Ashley said to have it handy.
    Reporting a warranty should not be treated as an emergency wherein you have to call in immediately. And if the warranty is 5 years, the warrnaty provider should honor any claim as long as it is still in the 5 year period. Now if it is an insurance policy maybe, but I have an experience with the insurance that even after the incident was reported after 7 days they still honored my claim, I love Liberty Mutual.
    Guardsman should really have its license to operate revoked or company be closed.
    Report Guardsman to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) to protect us consumers. We will be heard, come join us if you had any issues with Guardsman © 2012 Valspar Corporation.

• Us
      9th of Mar, 2012

I will NEVER buy this protection again. They claim my repair falls under "normal wear and tear." I'm forwarding this to LaZboy and letting them know wthat this protection stinks. There was a time when LaZBoy stood behind their products. My chair is just over 2, and literally "balding". Lazy boy wants $332 to repair the damage, and Guardsman says it's not covered. I haven't heard about a scam this bad since preserving your wedding dress. Comfy chairs, but not holding up. They will be my last LaZBoys after years of buying nothing but this product.

• Da
      4th of Jun, 2012

Fraudulent company! Bought a 5 year warranty and they would not cover a broken relining mechanism because I did not report it 5 days after it broke. Ridiculous...a 5 year warranty is a 5 year warranty. Fraud! Fraud! Fraud!

19th of Jul, 2012

Terrible company and horrible people answering the phone. This Linda person actually hung up when I was still trying to talk some sense into her, but I guess they weren't hired to serve customers, but to squirm out of their responsibilities. After going through all the paperwork and having to hold for over 20 minutes each time on the phone, they say shrunk mattress pad was not covered under the 10-yr mattress protection plan when the plan clearly states that mattress pad will be replaced up to 3 times.

• Bo
      25th of Jul, 2012

I want to thank everyone here for their comments. I am purchasing a piece of furniture from a local store in Maryland ("Gavigans"), and they gave me an option to purchase the "Elite" protection plan from Guardsman. You all just saved me $60! Thanks again!

• Ra
      25th of Sep, 2012

My wife and I bought a new sofa from Haverty's in Lewisville, Texas back in summer of 2010. On September 12th, 2012 while turning the back cushions, something my wife and I do on a weekly basis, I found two tears. I called Guardsman by the next morning on the advice of Haverty's, mailed the paper work in way before the ten days. Just got a denial from Guradsman that read "Damages caused by defects in material or workmanship are not covered..." These are obvious tears caused by someone or something that we discovered within a week of the occurrence, no way a defect. Guradsman is a rip off, no better than the mafia and a protection racket - but customers get zero protection. DO NOT BUY their plans nor products.

• Th
      7th of Dec, 2012

We purchased two recliner couches from JEROMES in September 2011 and paid an extra $200 for the oops warranty with GUARDSMAN. Our couch material is ripping and padding coming out and we have two broken springs. GUARDSMAN says it's not covered on warranty and JEROMES won't cover it because it is over one year. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM JEROMES OR PAY FOR A GUARDSMAN WARRANTY AGAIN. Please be warned this will happen to you if you bu this.

• Gu
      14th of Jan, 2014

WARRANTY SCAM
    Guardsman
    PO Box 88010
    Grand Rapids MI 49518-0010

Complaint Description:
    They denied claim because they say paper work was not submitted n a timely fashion. So they say they have no obligation to stand up to their warranty. Purchased Guardsman warranty from Garden White furniture on on 5/19/09. The framework n the chairs i purchased on 5/19/2009 began to break and crack. I called Gardner White and the said to contact Guardsman Service Center.I contacted service center on 9/23/13 in which they promptly sent me a email to file claim. The email text body said you have two methods to complete form, electronically or by mail. The sugget in bold to complete electronically for fastest service. I completed and retuned form to there exact specification on 10/28/13 to exact specification. I heard nothing from them so i emails on 10/25/13 and never recieved return respone. I called and spoke to representive and he informed me that a hard copy has to be mailed and submitted with electronic claim.The representitive then sent me email a new set of forms on 12/23/13. I completed the the forms on 12/25/13 and mailed to the Guardsman address in Grand Rapids michigan. I recieved an email on 1/14/14 stating that they recieved my claim. I recieved a call today from Montgonery stating that they would not be honoring warrenty becasue it was not submitted in a timely fashion. When i asked to talk to a supervisor i talked to Denise who also said clains were not submitted in a timely fashion and they would not honor their warranty. I said i had saved all emails documenting communication. She told me that did not matter becasue they did not have any record of them. No i am stuck with a warreanty i paid for and a company that wont honor it. As a result i have 6 chairs that have broken frame work and are not usable

• St
      23rd of Jan, 2014

GUARDSMAN IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN SPEND YOUR MONEY ON !!! FOR ALL REQUEST i MADE THEY HAVE TOLD ME WE DO NOT COVER THAT.i BOUGHT A qUEEN BED FROM ASHLEY AND THE WOOD BROKE ..SO IF YOU DONT COVER THAT THEN WHAt should you cover ..this company not worth even taken for free--

• Pi
      4th of Sep, 2014

I wish I had read all of these reviews prior to purchasing their warranty plan. I purchased the plan for all of my new furniture, which I was told covered everything and was the "Gold" standard and they cover EVERYTHING, and don't deny any claims. I purchased the plan from Sears in Toronto Canada. After submitting all of the documentation, and follow up calls from them to ask hundreds of questions, they told me that the claim was denied because if I read the fine print then PARALLEL seam rips are excluded. What a waste of time and money.