Grand Circle Travel / Cancelation Policy

I called Grand Circle Travel (GCT), to book a trip, late Friday night (approximately 10pm California time) Aug. 15, 2008 by telephone. The purpose of booking the trip by telephone was to ensure that I could integrate the requested trip with a complex itinerary that required the specific date of April 16, 2009. The sales agent was well aware of this need.

The specific requested trip was to Brussels & Belgium. The sales operator knew I had to co-ordinate this booking with another independently planned itinerary. In fact, although I requested a Brussels to Amsterdam itinerary, I was informed that Brussels to Amsterdam was full but I could travel the reverse direction (Amsterdam to Brussels) on the same date of April 16, 2009. I agreed and proceeded to book the trip. Following completion of the booking, I proceeded to investigate non-refundable airline reservations of a complex itinerary that would place me in Amsterdam in time to commence the April 16 trip. There were only 4 seats available for what would in today’s market would be considered a reasonable fare.

Prior to booking this non-refundable airline ticket, I wanted to confirm my GCT itinerary. Upon checking my GCT reservation at their website on Saturday August 16, I saw that they had my itinerary listed as Brussels to Amsterdam. At that point I attempted to contact customer service by both e-mail and telephone to determine which itinerary I actually had since I needed to make a decision regarding the airline ticket. When they were not available I decided to cancel the GCT trip.

I called to cancel Saturday Aug. 16, 2008 around 3PM PST. Although sales for Grand Circle Travel are apparently open practically 24/7, customer service, which one is required to call for any changes, was closed for the week-end at 3PM EST, so an e-mail was sent.

I called again on Monday morning Aug. 18, 2008 when customer service was available to confirm the cancellation. I was informed at that time, that GCT did not accept e-mail cancellations and that there would be a $600.00 cancellation fee. At the time of the booking, I was never informed by the sales agent of a $300 per person cancellation fee as he took my credit card number for a $191 deposit, knowing the complex itinerary issues.

I wish to file a formal complaint regarding Grand Circle Travel. I know this policy violates CA law relating to 72 hour "buyer's remorse". I want them to either change this policy or to prohibit them from doing business in CA.

Joel E White

Comments

Ga
  31st of Oct, 2008

Right on. The $300 cancellation fee is excessive and onerous, particularly for a trip

many months in the future. GCT caters to the elderly, some of whom are not wealthy

and can least afford such fees. GCT often does not make air reservations for months

after early bookings for its trips. So GCT is not out any money for such early cancellations

but still charges $300 for a cancellation.