[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / fraudulently forced into paying for 'super relax' cover

1 Mallorca, Spain Review updated:

Contact No. [protected] - Rental from 5th July to 19th July.

Upon picking the keys up at the rental desk in Mallorca Airport, a discussion was had regarding insurance.

I explained to the assistant who was serving me that I had a 'Damage Excess' policy which had been specifically bought prior to traveling to Spain.

I was told by the assistant 'the insurance policy you have will not work with Goldcar rentals'.
The assistant then proceeded to use scare tactics and listed several charges that would be applicable if the car was returned with a scratch or stone chip etc etc. (anything from €600 and up from memory).

I initially objected to paying any further money and reminded the assistant I already had a separate damage excess policy.

Again, I was told the policy I had would not work with Goldcar and in fact they also said it would not even work in Spain.

Clearly, I was left feeling a little nervous and already fraught having had very little sleep in the previous 24 hours due to travel.

At the time, my understanding of what was being discussed was a deposit payment (to be refunded after returning the rental).

BUT in fact what they have proceeded to do is charge me for a 'Super Relax' insurance policy at £349, 49.

The only thing that alerted me to this was checking my Credit card statement.

Having now had chance to review the rental documents it is clear to me that this additional cost I have been charged was fraudulent in the respect that at no point I was offered to pay the standard £1100 excess deposit.

I was lied to and given false information from the outset.

Having tried to contact Goldcar from their website appears to be impossible on email which is very frustrating.

I will be continuing to seek support on this matter and will demand a full refund of the additional cost they took from me.

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Jul 17, 2017

Dear Jeremy Burn,

Thanks for your comment.

We're trying to improve our services and the opinion of clients is essential to do so.

Please note that you have to know that our policy contemplates the requirement to leave a deposit in order to pick the car and start using our services. However, we always offer additional cover (Super Relax Cover), because it already includes an excess and it exempts you of this requirement. If customers have third party coverage, they can request a refund from them in case of damages, but our additional coverage is always offered as an alternative to blocking a deposit on a credit card.

We understand that you booked a third party's coverage from home.
    However, I'd like to explain you how our coverage policy works. We always make the customer choose from two different options: you can purchase our additional coverage or you can leave a deposit in which you'll be liable of any damage made to the car, as our agent explained you at the counter. However, as you did not ask expressly to block a deposit on your cc, we had no option but to charge you our additional coverage.
    We are aware that third parties offer customers their own coverage, as in your case, but it should be explained that this coverage is only applied when a charge is debited from the deposit left by the customer to the rent-a-car company - this is how the third party's coverage policy works. As you didn’t leave deposit you’ll have to contact with your broker in order to ask them for a refund of this coverage you ended not using, because we're not aware of the conditions of the third party's coverage refund.
    Please note that our additional coverage is a non-refundable service, as you did accept it and consumed it already, we cannot do any refunds now.
    I hope this information helped you clear your concerns.

Kind regards.
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar Representative.

For further information, you can open a query to our Customer Services department here: https://www.goldcar.es/en/atencionCliente/ . That way, they’ll get in touch with you and manage this issue ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar Representative.

Je
Jul 14, 2017

Comments

• Ss
      6th of Aug, 2018

The same thing JUST happened to me-no explanation of deposit, just told that I had to pay this amount if I wanted the car. They are liars and do not properly explain any of these "policies" at the time of rental, they just tack it on and when you try to contact customer service you can't get through, that way they can say "oh you used it sorry it's not refundable." COMPLETELY unacceptable!

• Vl
      2nd of Nov, 2018

I was lied to. I don't read Spanish and after waiting in line for 45mins to pick up the car (already reserved and paid online), i was anxious to get my car. The lady over the counter told me I have to pay additional 158euros and i asked what it was. She said it's deposit and fully refundable. Now when i only got 75euros back i emailed and asked and they say they have charged for other things like super coverage and fuel protection. This is extortion and fraud.