Global Tele Link / take advantage of everyone!

1 Chesapeake, VA, United States Review updated:

Global tel link are crooks! Tthey take advantage of the families who have loved ones in jail and prison!!! Why is it that I can call across the nation and pay for only one call and talk as long as needed, yet to speak to my son 400 miles away I am charged 14.00 for a 20 minute call, and I must pay 50.00 + each month in advance??? This company and those prisons and jails that support their stealing should all be put in their own facilities!!! Crooks will answer to god one day and I pray that they go out of business and repent for their wicked actions before then!

Comments

• Tr
      8th of Aug, 2008

I have a loved one in prison. He thank god is being released next month. He is two hours away and I have to pay $10 per 15 min call. Last week I put $25 on the prepay account. While waiting to hear my account had been credited I was disconnected. I immediately called Global Telelink and was on hold for over a half hour, finally i gave up. The following day I check my bank account and my bank account had been deducted the $25, yet they never credited my account. I called Global Telelink again that morning. They told me to fax them a copy of my bank statement and they would return my call within five business days to let me know what they have decided. (mind you I had missed my fathers once a month call). They claimed my credit card was declined and did not have a record of taking the money but they already had my money. I faxed over the statement showing the deduction then tried contacting them to verify receipt...again waiting over 20 min with no one picking up. So that night I called again I was prompted to have a call back since they were so busy. I never got the call.
    Over priced, rip offs and ZERO customer service.

• Ph
      12th of Aug, 2008

The similar incident happened to me on August 2, 2008. My collect calls from my son are billed through At&t, NOT this RIP OFF company GTL. My son tried to call on 8/2/08 and the recorded message to accept or reject call told me my prepay acct had no funds available and I needed to add funds. I did. The same as you. ONLY they did this to me twice the same day. The 1st time I put $25 on my Visa card. My son later tried to call and the same thing again, although I DO NOT have a prepaid acct with GTL told me I needed to add funds to my acct. I put $25 more on my card. I have yet to talk to anyone about the incident and have faxed as well as emailed an attachment of my Pending Authorized Charges showing them that they, GTL, did indeed put charges on my credit card. They deny the charges stating their system shows the charges were declined. WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO? As you said, they have my money and have NO intentions of giving it back. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company after making so many attempts to settle this with them with out problems. I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY.

• Ke
      30th of Aug, 2008

At first I thought this was a great idea, a prepaid account so I could keep in touch with my husband. I couldn't even begin to tell you how wrong I was. My husband has only been able to call me once, and then suddenly, without warning, global telelink placed a block on the collect calls. After one call! Then I was told when I called to find out why that suddenly my initial payment wasn't enough, and in order to take the block off I would need to make an additional payment. Are you kidding me?! So they went through the trouble of setting up the account and allowed the call to come through just to turn around and say they want more money? The customer service staff is also extremely unproffessional. To be placed on hold for long periods of time, and then to be hung up on??? I would have to agree with the person above who wrote who are the criminals? I am extremely dissatisfied and dissappointed in the service I have received global telelink, and writing to your local congressman or govenor I think is definately a step in the right direction!

• Fr
      6th of Sep, 2008

I agree with you all because it seems like every time i turn around that there is always something wrong and then they have you on hold for a long time. One night they had me on hold for two hrs and then i hung up and called back and they were close. They should charge everybody the same amount because by the time your love ones get out you had done spent 100s of dollars. The charge me 7.00 for 15 minutes and if i talk to my husband for 1 minute they charge an extra two dollars which is wrong...they already giving us a fee to start with of 4.95. I hope they come upm with a better phone services for inmates. and to top it off some of the representatives are very rude.

• Me
      20th of Sep, 2008

Thank you all for letting everyone know about this company, I called them to start an account and got the message they would have to call me back, in the mean time, I have read all of your comments and WILL NOT be giving these people my credit card numbers! It is very difficult for my loved one not to be able to call me, but I certainly cannot afford the alternative! Thank you again! You saved me lots of time and money!

• Ne
      4th of Oct, 2008

Myboyfriend just went to a place where global tele will be handling their calls. When I called they told me that I had to fax in my telephone bill and circle my my address and stuff at that moment I became worried cause I have never had to do this with other companies. So I decided to research this company and when their page comes up they have this page full of complaints. Thanks to everyone who posted complaints I will not be dealing with this company at all I will just switch to Varizon. Again thanks a million and I pray that all yall problems get worked out.

• Je
      14th of Feb, 2009

I myself have had lots of problems with Global telelink. My fiance is in prison so I have no choice in the matter but to deal with it. I have been trying for two days now to put money on my account but they keep denying my debit card even though I know there is money on there and the bank says there is no reason for it to be denied. When I call to talk to a live person about the situation, the phone on there end is so staticy I cant even here a word that the automate person is saying. I wish I had another phone company option, because when I do call and get to speak to a live person they are so rude and seem unconcerned.

• Al
      24th of Mar, 2009

my husband is in jail and i just put $50 on the account. he has not been able to call me for a week and i dont know why. is it because global telelink is not allowing him to? when i call they put me on hold forever! is there any alternative??

• Th
      2nd of May, 2009

I have had my block off my phone for 3 days and globval link says that verizon has not taken it off. i waited 2 hours for a callback last night, They didnt call back and closed on me. How do they stay in business.

• Mu
      27th of Aug, 2009

I too have been trying to contact my husband, and this system prevents me from doing so. Every time he calls, I get the automated voice telling me my account was blocked and I need to make payment. I have only been able to talk to him ONCE for ONE MINUTE, and after that they blocked the calls...I try to pay using my debit card...they don't accept debit cards, so now I have no way to contact my husband. Nevermind the fact that he is completely innocent and his lawyer is taking advantage of him. This country and its products are a joke...They don't care about us.

• Wh
      24th of Jan, 2010

I too have a similiar situation with good old GTL!!! A block was put on our phone, out of the clear blue sky, not allowing my husband and I to enjoy our once a week 15 minute conversation. I'm staying with life long friends of my husband, and the phone bill, along with all other monthly costs have always been paid in full, and on time. As soon as I was made aware that a block had been applied, I told my friends, and they looked into it immediately. Their carrier has always been AT&T, and when they called they were told that they didn't know of any block, and that they were to call GTL. GTL then told them that there were some unpaid collect calls; and because of this, GTL had placed the block on their phone, and that it could never be lifted, and that the only thing that we could do is set up an over priced, rip off account with them. The unpaid calls GTL, claimed not paid, had been "written off " by AT&T. This occurred when the original person who had opened the account with AT&T, passed away in October 2009. The account was transferred over to 1 of his 2 sons, ( whom I'm staying with ) keeping the account with the same phone number, same address, and the same schedule of paying the monthly bill, every month, in full. I miss my husbands calls!!! I've heard sooooooo many negative things about GTL, WHY ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS??? What can be done?????

• Ju
      5th of Jun, 2010

I just put 25.00 dollars in the prepaid acct. I was on the phone a couple of mins. before the call was lost. When the person tried to call back, GTL stated that I needed to put 25.00 more dollars on the acct. How is this possible? And why can't we seem to do anything about it?