Global Tel Link / Customer Service

1 PO Box 2827Mobile, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-388-7346

I was not surprised to see all the complaints about Global Tel Link but I was surprised to see that many people have stories much worse than mine. I have been dealing with the company for two years and it seems absurd that I have had to go through the horrible things they have put me through just so I can pay them outrageous amounts of money for this kind of treatment. It seems as though they don't care how much business they lose which leads me to believe that they have so much they can afford to lose it. They have us right where they want us. Begging for them to allow us the privilege of being their customer so that we may receive calls from our loved ones.
When I was searching for information about the company so that I could file a complaint I found advertisement for the service geared toward the correctional facilities. It seems that they are concerned with monitoring phone calls to collect evidence against inmates and also ways to make money for the facilities who allow their phones to be placed in those facilities. This must be why we have to pay such a high price to speak to our loved ones. So that not only Global Tel Link but also the correctional facilities can make money from the hard times of others. I'm sure if my loved one was making phones calls that divulged evidence that would be useful to the prosecuters my phone calls would never be blocked or cut short.

Be

Comments

• Me
      3rd of Jun, 2008

I was charged double on my card and instread of the customer service rep telling me it was a sytem error she blamed it on me and while I was telling what I thought happened and that it may be a system error she put me on hold while I was talking and never came back! That is horrible and I will take this to the better business bureau!!

• Ka
      30th of Jun, 2008

I have problems with Global Tel Link, my husband tried calling me and he is having problems. It keeps telling him that my phone number is invalid. I tried to speak with someone from customer services and she didn't even speak clear english. I explained to her that were having a communication problem and i need to speak to her supervisor and she refused. I will be calling the FCC and reporting Global Tel Link. They are horrible.

• Je
      8th of Jul, 2008

I plan to go to the better business bureau as well this does not make since what is going on with this global tel link its a disaster and someone has to do something about it. The sad thing is we have to go through them for everything in order to talk to our loved ones and even to put money on thier accounts. What has the prison and jail systems done, are they even aware of the fungus that they have affected the system with? And yes the reps do blaim you as the customer for every error that occurs that is when they finally do contact you back just to put you on hold and hang up on you.

• Dj
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I am having the same problems and have been for some time. My husband has been incarcerated since Jan 05 and I keep having connection problems and I'm being charged for calls that don't go through. I seem to see so many complaints and no compliments towards Global Tel* Link. I'm willing to be apart of a class action suit as well.

• La
      28th of Aug, 2008

I've been using this company for collect calls since they took over MCI, and I must say that the service that I've been receiveing is not commendable at all. From the day that I first opened the account I had difficulties. To open the account they wanted me to fax over a current phone bill, and allow 3-4 business days for processing. I waited, and called for an account status, and my fax was never recieved. After hours of talking to different representatives, I was informed that I was given the wrong fax number. So I had paid $6.00 to transmit this fax, and now my personal information was floating around somewhere. Nothing was done about the inconvenience that they incurred. I mean I could go on with the complaints of unsatisfactory service I've received with this company. Due to the fact that they are the only company that offers this service, they tend to ignore certain customer issues. As the consumer I can say that it is very unfair for us, to have to pay for a service that we are unhappy with, and not be able to put a stop to it.

2nd of Oct, 2008

I agree totally. I have been trying to get in touch with customer service and it is the worst service ever.

When my father contacted me this afternoon, the recording stated that I did not have enough funds meanwhile when he contacted me this morning I had $16.00 left. Now whe attempted to communicate with me this evening, he was able to get through.

I plan to complain to both the attorney general's office as well as my congressman about this co. I feel they overcharging taking advantage of the situation.

• Lf
      10th of Oct, 2008

I totally agree with you Latoya. They are ridiculously rude. They gave me the wrong information stating that you had to have a land line telephone (from the pole) in order to recieve inmate calls-no cell phone or digital phone service (vonage, etc). So I went out and had AT&T installed into my home. They would not approve the land line because the inmates name was on the bill. Come to find out that 3 months that some stupid customer service person gave me the wrong information. Globel tel does accept vonage, you just have to fax over the bill to register the line-which I still have not heard back from customer service. How can they be so rude and give out false info like this and get away with it? Now I have 3 telephone lines(digital, land, cell) and still am not getting any calls from my brother. Maybe it is just better to write, I know its cheaper and less frustrating!

• Rm
      15th of Nov, 2008

I am a telamarketer and if we would allow people to sit on the phone for as long as I do when I try to reach a LIVE person at global tel link. Well needless to say I wouldn't have to worry about takeing the collect calls from the jail because I would be with out a job and would not be able to pay for them. Global tel link is a very poorly run business. But if you make millions off those of us that relie on those collect calls why worry if you are just adding to someone pain. I currently have two step-sons and a bother in a correctional faciliality and would like to know why my Collect calls have been blocked and I am unable to take collect calls it all must now be prepaid. -Rmetz

15th of Nov, 2008

i hear you man iam a prof fundraiser in ct for a co in nj .if i was like these ### id be in jail

• Wi
      24th of Mar, 2009

I am being charged on my verizon phone bill for the exact paymenys i am on account with global tel link i need this matter taken care of immediatly .please respond sincerly william garlock 814-542-4770

14th of Apr, 2009

my phone line is blocked by global tel link, I can recieve calls from son nor can I get through to speak with
    global tel. why don, t someone do something about this rogue company? this is America, this i type of
    company is not alowded to operate in a free society! is it?

• Mr
      26th of Oct, 2009

Lana I am going through the same situation, they told me the same thing they don't accept vonage and I told them my friend has vonage and she gets calls through gtl. I went out and got a land line phone then they told me I had to fax my phone bill did that then someone else there told me that I can use vonage I faxed that and I am still waiting for my service to get started. Seems like they will never start it.

• Sl
      20th of Mar, 2010

It irates me that I am somebody who was born in this country, have worked since the age of 14, graduated high school and even taken some further education courses, am working full-time and a grateful wife and mother, pay bills on time, yet live month to month in this struggling economy and suddenly out of the blue receive a voice recording telling me that I have reached my limit on collect calls for a 30day period!
    Now I cannot receive a collect call from my brother, after having received collect calls uninterupted for more than 8yrs!
    Devastated upon hearing this recording just 3days ago, I immediately contacted my residential phone service to see if there was anything they could do to rectify the situation, but was advised that I must contact Global Tel Link directly as it was this company that blocked my calls. So I tried, only to receive yet another recording saying that they were experiencing an extremely high call volume and could not accept my call at that time, that I would have to try again later. What? Yes. So, I tried again, getting the same message for 3days continuously! Finally, this morning, I decided to start as early as I possibly could calling this number, 1(866)230-7761, and reached a different recording. This time I selected English as the language, and held for 45mins. until reaching a man named "John", who really couldn't help me and patched me over to "Tiffany", his supervisor, who really couldn't help me, either.
    I didn't want to complain in the first place, just have my phone unblocked so that I could receive a collect call from my brother.
    But John told me that I had received more than $50 in collect charges within a 30day period, the procedure was that a block be placed on my phone, and my only option now was to prepay. To understand this fully, you see, I am now being informed that I will receive a bill containing more than $50 in collect charges for this past month, and Global Tel Link wants me to prepay now, right now, in order to continue to receive collect calls from my brother. I don't have money to prepay. It's not in the budget. But if they would unblock my phone then I could continue paying my bills as I always do.
    After reading some complaints upon arriving to this webpage, I see that some have experienced no refunds for prepays not used. And I noticed somebody else being forced to prepay and be billed again on their regular phone bill! Now I am outraged as we, myself and my fellow Americans, are being bullied, taken advantage of, and blindsided by some company put in a place in which to do so by our own government!
    What should be done?