GE Money Bank / Horrible customer service and downright dishonesty

1 UT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-396-8254

In August of 2005 my husband and I purchased a 2005 ATV through American Honda AKA GE Money Bank. The original loan was for $7500.00 (give or take a few dollars). By July of 2006 we officially owed MORE than the actual loan amount!! On June 2007 we started hunting around to find a Credit Union to refinance with, I called GEMB on June 20, 2007 to get a payoff amount. We found a CU we liked so on July 9. 2007 while on my way down to get the paperwork filled out and signed, I called GEMB AGAIN to get a current payoff. I spoke to a girl, who hardly spoke english. Before I'd even hung up with her, I was in the new financial institution and as she told me the payoff, I wrote it down and handed it directly to the person at the CU. The young lady that I spoke to at GEMB didn't bother to note in the system that I had called, so there is now no verification that I did!!!

In December 2007 I received my FIRST notice from GEMB stating that I owed them $239 because my payoff was $85.00 short and all the additional was FEES. WHAT?!!! I called and yelled and yelled and yelled and finally who I THOUGHT was a supervisor got on the line and told me that if I pay $144.00 that we would just settle the account and it would be at a zero balance. I then told him that I not only wanted the account zero'd out and closed I wanted my credit fixed for the 90 day late that showed I had when I had not been notified until JUST THEN. He said okay! I made him recap what he was going to do: 1. Zero out the account, 2. Clear up the 3 past due months on my credit. In April the hubby and I went looking for a truck loan. Our credit was pulled and 'Lo! There is that 90 day late STILL AND it shows we still owe them money. I called, and called and called and was never able to get an answer. We disputed it online through Experian and Transunion, to no avail. So today, June 20 (imagine that, exactly 1 year later) and asked to speak to collections. I got a gentleman who told me his name twice but I couldn't understand it to write it down. He said he'd zero out the account and when I asked him about the credit, he put me on hold for 15 minutes and then disconnected me. I called back, went through 25 minutes of entering and re-entering my account number and finally got ANOTHER non-english speaking agent who was rude as could be. I asked to speak to his supervisor and after 10 minutes on hold was transfered to Cheryll, an account manager, who didn't even KNOW the agent whom I had originally spoken to. I had RERUN over EVERYTHING I had already said only to be told "Too bad, you settled the account". I was NOT told by the agent what that even meant!! She also said "We're not fixing your credit, you should have paid on time." I am FURIOUS!!! I called back a third time and when I finally got another non-english speaking agent I said "I want the number to your corporate offices, the president of the company or whoever is higher up than your supervisors or collections supervisors." He wouldn't provide me a number until I gave him my account number. He then gave me the number for consumer installments WHO ARE CLOSED!!! OMG!! Stay as far away from this mess as you can! If you're going to buy something on credit, DO NOT DO IT THROUGH GEMB!!! They are AWFULAWFULAWFUL to deal with and they screw you over!!

I have filed a complaint with BBB.

Comments

• Ca
      9th of Aug, 2008

OH MY GOD! When I read your letter I thought it was mine because my husband and I went through almost exactly the same mess with GE ripe off Bank.
    I also want to write the corporate office and complain about the rudest treatment I have ever received. Good Luck and let me know your outcome and I will let you know mine! Sincerely...

• La
      31st of Oct, 2008

It is a violation of Federal lending laws to give you a payoff amount and tack on more fees

YOU MUST FILE FORMAL COMPLAINTS WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION AND OFFICE OF THRIFT SUPERVISIO

• Dn
      2nd of Sep, 2009

The office of thrift supervision is the only people who will get involved. Trying to get even with GE Money is near impossible. The lawyers want $5000.00 up front and $300.00 per hour. Who can afford it?