GC Services / Harassing phone calls!

1 Knoxville, TN, United States Review updated:

GC Services constantly call me over a student loan that was dismissed because the school closed before I could complete the course. They call me every other day, making threats like they will ruin my business. They also have been calling my cousin trying to get to me! I will not stand for their ###!

I'm getting to where when they call, I don't answer the phone!

Comments

• Ai
      5th of Jul, 2007

A woman named Leslie and her supervisor, Felicia Topp, have been calling my phone twice a day, from 8am until 8pm in order to collect a bill I don't owe. They also had a neighbor hand deliver a note to my door (this neighbor I have never met) stating that a friend was in an emergency situation.

I asked them to stop, but they said it was legal for them to keep doing it.

These people are simply the most aggressive company I have ever had to deal with, but I definitely plan on fighting back!!!

• Ro
      24th of Jul, 2007

I went through a messy divorce and unfortunately I made the mistake of keeping a Home Depot card that had my ex-wife's name on it. The card has been charged up by her to fix her porch and not paid. GC Services called and I was in Florida visiting a relative that was in the hospital about to die. I told them that it was a bad time and asked that they call back. The guys last name is Smith. He continued to talk and was very rude. I explained the situation and asked him to call back again. He said that he would just consider the account a refusal to pay and told me that I had no business using someone else's money and not paying it back. I asked to speak to his manager and he informed me that he was the supervisor. After a brief and very nasty conversation, I hung up the phone.

GC Services called back and offered a deal. I once again tried to explain the problem and they said that I was the primary card holder and therefore responsible for the bill. Ok... I guess I could accept that but... He called me at work. I explained that I couldn't take personal calls at work. He continued to talk and once again was very rude. I tried once more nicely to tell him that I couldn't talk and he again told me that I shouldn't charge up bills that I cannot and will not pay back. I explained that according to the Fair Collections act that if I tell him that i cannot talk at work, that they have to remove the number and do not call again. He told me that since i am so aware of the law that I should also be aware that the law says that if I borrow money, I have to pay it back. I then proceeded to hang up the phone.

I have been getting bills from Home Depot and called them to ask if the money could be sent to them. It is a real mess and i will end up paying and trying to get the money from my ex.
    I cannot believe that this company actually collects money as rude and unlawful as they are.

• Na
      8th of Aug, 2007

You probably do owe a bill...

• Su
      8th of Sep, 2007

I have been receiving harassing calls from this GC Services for 6 months. They claim to be seeking an individual with the same name in connection with a student loan. The caller, a man who claims his name is Bo, asks me a series of questions which theoretically are to disqualify me as the person he is looking for and each time I answer (truthfully) that I was not born in the year he mentions, did not attend the college he mentions, do not have a social security number ending in the four digits he has mentioned, and do not have an outstanding student loan. He then becomes very angry and demands my social security number and birthdate, which I refuse to provide to protect my identity. I have received 4 calls this week, including one today. I have asked this company to stop calling me and have recently filed complaints with the Attorneys General in Illinois, Texas, and Ohio about this company. Maybe now they will stop with the threatening and frightening calls.

15th of Sep, 2007

Over the past six months I have been receiving calls from GC Services, asking for Angela or William Harrison; I have informed them that there is no Angela or William at this number. The calls continue, sometimes 4-5 times per day.

I have spoken to at least 3 "Supervisors" that tell me my number will be removed from their system. It has not.

24th of Sep, 2007

I was contacted by Mr brown threatening me with garnishing my wages. I have been paying on this debt for 3 years and now they are no longer accepting my payments. Mr brown has started harassing my HR department at work and also me with threats. I was given a deadline to pay the amount in full and I and my HR dept are still receiving threatening phone calls. Mr Brown has gone as far as to reveal my issues with a secretary at my work place. The woman told him she did not want to know about my personal issues but he proceeded to tell her. I still will pay my payments but he will not accept them. I believe after 3 years of steady payments I should be allowed to complete the payments without the harassing phone calls to me and my workplace.

• Su
      27th of Sep, 2007

I have a cell phone account with three lines on it. One line is being called 2 to 3 times a day. They ask for Justin. That phone is my phone and one of my phone lines. I initially called for the name of the company and the address to send a letter to cease and desist calling that number since it does not belong to the person they are calling. The man argued with me, accused me of things, including asking me if Justin was my boyfriend (sure would surprise my husband wouldn’t it?) and told me I was a liar. He told me that I was not allowed to send a letter nor was I to ask for an address. I had to call back to get the name of the company when someone answered and then Google it. How ridiculous is that? When I told him that he was as bad as talking to my 10 year old, he then started acting more like one and then asked why I was bringing my child into this several times to try and make me feel bad and rile me up more. The fact is he got nothing accomplished except angering me to the point where my maturity level went down to his. I offered to put my boss on the line since he is an attorney and he said that he didn’t want to talk to him because he wasn’t calling him. I advised that he was not looking for me or my friend either, and he refused to let me get my boss. That is only the a little of what happened on that phone call. He told me that the other person with the phone did not tell them to stop calling and I said that she did, which is how I got the phone number to contact them and he proceeded to tell me I was a liar. It is deplorable and disgusting. I have NEVER been treated and spoken to so disrespectfully in my life and it is not even MY debt. This is clear harassment! I finally sent them an e-mail from their site and copied the corporate office. I also went to the website for the FDCPA and filed a complaint.

10th of Oct, 2007
    GC Services - Harassing calls!

I received a call on October 8th, 2007 in the evening. They asked for my husband by name and when I asked who was calling she said Angelica. When I asked the nature of her call she said she was trying to contact a neighbor of ours. I said I would take her name and phone number and contact the neighbor. It turned out to be a harassing call from this company. I called today and talked to a Mr. Fleming. I mentioned Angelica's name and he put me through to her. I told her to remove my name and phone number from their calling list and that I was going to contact consumer affairs about their procedures to contact people etc. She stated she was going to remove me from her list but never asked for my number, name or anything. This company GC Services should be put out of business. This is illegal and they need to be reported to the authorities!!!

23rd of Oct, 2007
    GC Services - Harrassing phone calls

I received a phone call today about one of my neighbors. I asked the man on the phone who he was 3 times. Then he tells me he's wanting to get a hold of this neighbor. I told him I don't know anything about her as I had just returned to town after a death in the family. He said okay and then was very nice to offer condolences. I told him he should try to call her himself. He said thanks and hung up.

I see a lot of other people had an uglier experience with these folks though. I suggest you invest in an inexpensive tape recorder and record the conversations. I would even go so far as to say, "I'm recording this conversation to give to my attorney, so please speak clearly." (Might even work to get them to stop calling you all together.)

Legally they aren't allowed to call and harrass neighbors of people who owe money, whether it's legitimate or not. Know your rights! If you are still dealing with them after you've advised them you're recording it for your attorney, I suggest you really talk to an attorney about this. If enough people are having problems with them, a class action lawsuit can be filed.

I'm not offering legal advice here, just stating what I would do if it were me. Thankfully, one phone call is all I'm expecting, but you can bet I'll take my own advice if they ever call again!

2nd of Nov, 2007

I received numerous calls from GC Services, regarding a student loan that was paid. Not only will they not listen but I almost lost my job because they harassed the secretary. She had to come get me out of a meeting, we recorded to of their conversation and will be forwarded the info as soon as it can be retrieved. I've never been so angry in my life, which I think these people thrive on it. The agents were Damon Sharpley & Larry Griffin. Very unprofessional. The way the conduct business isn't going to make anyone pay them. They threaten me with wage garnishments, requested to talk to the President of our company. Something needs to be done!

6th of Nov, 2007

Wage garnishment is not a threat, if you owe money to the government, then the government is able to garnish your wages.

• Mi
      1st of Mar, 2008

I have been getting calls from this company. Whenever I ask who they are, they tell me they are collecting on a debt. I tell them my credit rating is 824 and I don't owe anyone, anything so I don't know why they are calling me. Today, they called me, woke me out of my nap and left their phone number on my answering maching. I called the number back. They wouldn't give me any information at first. They are actually calling this time and asking for a "Christie". I've had this same number since 1999 and there's never been a Christie living here. I finally got a response that they are calling from G C Services. I spoke with a lady named Lisa who is in the Carribean. They don't have a clue how to stop from calling me. I informed them that they'd better get a clue or I will file legal action against them. I can see the privacy of a person if they have the wrong number but they need to get the right number and leave mine alone. I'm on the Federal DO NOT CALL LIST.

• Sh
      24th of Apr, 2008

If you are 110% certain you do NOT owe the debt and have valid documentation to back it up, I would suggest sending GC Services a Cease & Desist Letter with a copy of the documented proof.

Mail it Certified Mail and Return Receipt Requested so you have proof you mailed it and proof they received it!

Mailing Address:
    GC Services
    6330 Gulfton
    Houston, Texas 77001

Good luck!

• Mg
      14th of May, 2008

They have called six times today. When I ask for the reference number on the account, they won't tell me.
    These guys are crooks.

• Sh
      10th of Jun, 2008
    GC Services - Harrassing phone calls
    GC Services
    Phone: 866-440-3358
    www.gcserv.com

These people have been calling us for months trying to get hold of a relative. We have told them repeatedly not to call us anymore, but it continues, and they are calling our children as well. They are rude, laugh when we tell them not to call us, and when I threatened to report them, told me to 'bring it on'. We have not done anything wrong, had nothing to do with this relatives debts, and want these calls to stop!

• Al
      17th of Jul, 2008

I just had the same experience with that company. I got a 2 line cell phone account, and 3 months later they started calling my wife's number asking for somebody we don't even know. This happened over the past 2 weeks. I had multiple talks with them where they said they were pulling the number off their record but they wouldn't. The last of these arguments happened an hour ago. After reading about your experience, I called the my phone company and we changed the number. Just ridiculous.

They are nasty people, trained on being obnoxious. You cannot reason with them because they have their mind set on that they are always talking to the person they are looking for. My advise is: if they are calling you because they have a number that once belonged to another person, just don't try to explain: They will keep on doing it; just change the number and save yourself a headache. My adrenaline at this point is comparable to the one Mike Tison had on the middle of his nastiest fight. I hope this is the end of this story.

Now, lets talk about the gas price, that will cheer us up... Oh wait, I forgot I don't owe an oil company, darn!

28th of Feb, 2009

I just recieved a call from this agency looking for a realitive i told them i don't know where thet are and have no forwarding number. the person kept asking questions and went as far to say he is a Sheriff and has information concernig this person...this is outrageous and i'm contacting our states attorney general.

• Tr
      20th of Jun, 2009

Why don't you people pay your bills and you won't receive calls from GC Services. I have heard every excuse in the book and the bottom line is that if GC Services is calling you about a debt you owe then your not a responsible person. You love to blame everyone but yourself. My how times have changed.

• Ka
      22nd of Jun, 2009

You are an ignorant person! I most certainly pay my bills! When you go to college there are MULTIPLE loans. I had undergrad and grad loans, of which I paid what I thought was ALL of them! I missed one somehow, and I had moved without forwarding my address, which was a personal issue, nothing to do with credit. When GC Services found me, they called my employer...the HR person...which if you don't know what that means it's the person who hires and fires, and demanded the number to my school! They continued to tell her about what a jerk I am and how I don't pay my bills and they better give her my number or they are going to garnish my wages! (HELLO??? WHAT HAPPENED TO PRIVACY???) Anyway, when I got the message, I immediately called them and worked out a payment arrangement! They charged me less if I let them have direct access to my account so they could take out my monthly payment! I gave them the information, and as far as I thought...everything was fine! I was making my payments...yes, you schmuck...MAKING MY PAYMENTS then GC SERVICES STOPPED TAKING THEM OUT OF MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT TELLING ME after almost a year of making payments!! THEY stopped taking the payments, didn't tell me, and then immediately filed for Wage Garnishment!!! Does this sound legal to you? THEN they verbally harassed me, made fun of me with snide comments, while I'm in tears TRYING to figure out how to make this right! I PAID $18, 000.00 on a $12, 000.00 loan and they say I still owe $5, 000.00!!! All I want to do is pay my loan!!! I want this to be taken care of...but they won't let me now and want to garnish my wages! I'm a single mother of three who has worked VERY HARD to make my payments! How dare you get on here and make blanket statements! I'm not blaming anyone for the fact that the bill was past due except for me...but the way this company works, is illegal and wrong!!!

• Gu
      15th of Sep, 2009

The best way to deal with these idiots is to not talk to them, not give them even a shred of information to use against you. They are not going to play fair. The more you cooperate with them, the more they will take advantage of you. Don't believe a word they say. They are liars, snakes in the grass. They prey on the innocent. They called me looking for a relative that lives in Arizona. I am stationed in NC and that relative has never been here or visited. They just saw "googled" the last name and figured that they could call and harrass me and that I would gather personal information on that person for them. They have called neighbors and asked them to go leave messages for people "HARRASSMENT". If you give them your social Security #, they will attach it to someone else's debt and try to collect the debt from you even if you don't know the person. My best advice is to not cooperate at all with these crooks and scammers. If you owe a debt then pay it to whoever you owe. Don't give anything to these people. It amazes me how they get away with their scam. I wish congress would secure our information. Anybody can find out any information on anyone on the internet. So much for privacy. Congress!!! pass some meaningful legislation for a change and outlaw the gathering of personal information for databases. You have sold out our right to privacy so someone can make a buck. Are we going to continue to stand for this? I don't know about you but it infuriates me. So much for anti terrorism. If you feel safe it is a false sense of security. The terrorist's have their own databases which are loaded with information on us gathered off the internet. The scam artists are the least of our worries. Gunnery Sergeant G USMC