Gate 1 Travel / Awful experience

I wanted to give my wife a surprise birthday gift---a trip to Buenos Aires. I booked with gate1 two months earlier, paid for the trip and they told me that I was locked at that price. The day of my wife's surprise party she was happy when I gave her the news that we were going to Buenos Aires, a place she have been wanting to go. We were scheduled to leave 10 days after the party. 5 days prior to the departure I get a phone call from gate 1 saying that the flight departing Texas via Mexicana was canceled and that they can get me on a different airline carrier American but I had to pay an addition $600. I told them that I booked two months ago at that price and that was not my fault that Mexicana canceled. They said then if I didn't go then i would loose the money I already had. Even it was their mistake they didn't want to refund my money. To make a long story short after several phone calls back in forth they finally give me the money and never apologize. This is the worst travel company. I use the internet to book my trips and never had problems until I used Gate 1. I don't RECOMMEND this travel company. If you want to avoid head right before your trip. DON'T BOOK WITH GATE 1.

Va

Comments

• Ar
      29th of Jan, 2009

our group travel to egypt last year and the only thing i don't like is that they put the ittirenaries for a certain places to visit but we never got to that place so i ask this to the tour operator but they said nothing to see there.so why they include this if nothing to see.?

• Jr
      30th of Mar, 2010

Worst company ever. Once they get your money they are completely unwilling to work with you at all. My wife had a medical issue and could not leave on our travel date (would not have mattered anyway as a bit storm on the east coast of the U.S. would have left us stranded in airport hell somewhere along the way anyway). I asked to change dates to later date. Gate 1 only really pretended like they cared after I went around them and rebooked (for no fees) with the airline and contacted all of the hotels and had them agree to rebook with no charges either (only catch was Gat 1 had to contact them). I tried to contact Gate 1 for two weeks before hand. Two days before we left, having heard no confirmation from Gate 1 I booked different hotels. Day before we left Gate 1 left a message on my home phone that they needed me to call them back in a matter of hours to confirm that they had made changes. I am on the west coast and didn't get the message until after I got home from work which was after their east coast offices closed.

They basically just string you along hoping to screw you over in the end. While on the trip I checked out the hotels Gate 1 booked for us. I booked nicer hotels in better locations for cheaper at venere.com

• Ka
      6th of May, 2010

I am totally disgusted with my experience with Gate 1. I had similar situation like you. We paid $4580 for our two people trip to Egpyt, but my mother got into an accident which left her in a coma. We are trying to get a refund from them, but it has been a nightmare. If you know any solution to get refund back, please let me know.

• Al
      2nd of May, 2012

I went on a tour to Israel on March 7. Gate 1 never informed me about united airline policy that they charge 200 dollars fee if a suitcase weighs over 50 pounds. I was charged 400 dollars for the round trip. I was told by the tour guide that VAT office at Ben Gurion airport will reimburse me for taxes if i spend more than a 100 dollars on items. On March 16 i went to VAT office and asked to put reimbursement on my American Express card. Till this day (a month and a half later) I never received my money back $752.00.
    Gate 1 refused to help me with the issue (customer service rep named Christina first told me to wait for a month and write again but when i called she firmly told me that she can't help.
    In a fury I wrote the Prime minister Benjamin Netaniyahoo, Knesset, Ben Gurion airport, Israeli Embassy in New York, president Obama, State department and even Bill O'Reily on Fox channel news. So far nobody responds and my issue is being ignored.
    I wonder if other tourists lost money too or it's just me...

• Ca
      14th of Nov, 2013

Some people should never travel.

13th of Dec, 2015

I lost 3, 000 dollars to gate 1 for bogus cancellation policy please go to REI instead!

• Re
      29th of Feb, 2016

Due to bad weather our family's flights were cancelled and rebooked to London. On our way home there was a problem with our rebooking - we called Gate 1 and they were of no help at all nor have they checked to see if we ever got home from the airport in Amsterdam! Our vacation was wonderful until this- couldn't recommend using them to anyone! Getting stranded is scary and it was their job to help work it out!

• Rm
      15th of Oct, 2016

I wish I had read this before I wasted my money with this AWFUL company!
    Please read my review as well

BUYER BEWARE!!!

I don't know about the other people posting these reviews but a "Great Trip" is the farthest thing from the experience we had with Gate 1 Travel.

We also knew that we were getting an amazing deal to fly to Italy for 8 days but it was the WORST experience of our lives!!! Every aspect of our trip that was associated with Gate 1 Travel was absolutely AWFUL!!! This was supposed to be a dream vacation for my son, who has wanted to see Italy since he was 6 and is now almost 17. We purchased out trip in early March and traveled in mid Sept. The flight was fine but upon arrival to Milan where we picked up our rental car we started realizing that Gate 1 had done a "Bait and Switch" for just about every aspect of the trip starting with the rental car and getting worse from there. The rental car was supposed to be a "Fiat or similar" although we ended up with some brand I have never heard or, a wagon of sorts that rumbled and sounded like it was going to die on us every time we drove! The Hotels were the WORST hotels we had EVER stayed and at, and I have stayed in hostels in 3rd world countries like Guatemala that look like the Hilton compared to the San Marco. Literally the WORST hotel ever! The minute I saw our room I was creeped out and went to the front desk to show them the pictures we had seen on Gate 1 and complained that our room was NOTHING like pictured, the hotel was NOTHING like pictured! They said sorry but they were full, not offering accommodations at their sister resort a block away or anything, even though I had booked my trip 6 months earlier! I then went to our room and contacted Gate 1, letting them know how bad our room was. Their response was basically "sorry we book packages and there is nothing we can do for you"! That has been their response, if I get one, every time I have contacted them about this AWFUL trip. We stayed 2 nights to try and make it better and make sure we were not overacting, asking for a few extra pillows to help make the bed a bit more comfortable. When we woke on the 2nd morning after barely sleeping because the bed was so uncomfortable and dirty, my son and I were completely covered in bug bites!!! We got up, showered and left the hotel to go stay elsewhere.

The entire trip associated with Gate 1 was literally the worst experience of mine and my son's life and I am not exaggerating. He had so badly wanted to see Italy and experience everything the country has to offer but thanks to Gate 1 and the worst experience EVER, we will never return to Italy and I will NEVER deal with this company again.

If you are even considering booking with them, I would NOT!!!

I have traveled all over the world and you can definitely find better ways to travel on your own than through this awful company or you too could end up miserable in a foreign country with absolutely no help from the company who was super helpful when it was time to pay then is absent when you have questions or need help.

DO NOT BOOK WITH GATE 1 and feel free to contact me if you have questions as there is so much more that was bad and that the company failed to provide.

Good Luck