First Convenience Bank / overcharged

First Convenience Bank charged me 20 overdraft fees of $34.97 in the amount of $699.00 in one day.I had a deposit of $451 and another for $125 as well as two deposits of $20 a credit for $7.51 and a direct deposit for $203 and $11.70.

As stated above I had plenty funds in my account. I called the number on the the back of my debit card to check the balance of my account and the entire weekend up until Monday, February 23, 2009. Each time I called I had a positive balance and I checked to see if my transactions had gone through and the bank took the funds out for my transactions.

However, on Tuesday, February 24, 2009, I called to check the status of my account and I was in the negative $199.00. I went to the bank to get a print out and in between the time it took to get to the bank, it went to a negative $429 and by the end of the night the negative balance was $699.

The automated system listed each item that was paid and my remaining balance after the transactions and everything was fine. However, when I went to the bank it was a different story.

They told me that my account went into the negative and I was charged for every transaction after the negative balance. However, the paperwork reflected that my account was positive and it went into the negative when the charged the first insufficient charges and it went down hill from there. I told them I called and what I was told my balance was and it showed on the paper work, but they refused to fix my account.

After talking for a hour the representative at the bank called her district manager and she agreed to only refund $200. The branch manager walked in during our conversation and he told me he could only give me $100 and he couldn't go over what his district manager said.

After looking over my statement, it was discovered that the bank charged me four negative account balance of $2.49 per day prior to the over draft charges. My account wouldn't have gone into the negative if they wouldn't have charged me these fees as well as the other overdraft fees.

I was told when I two months after I opened my account that I only had a $100 in overdraft protection. However, today I was told that I have $700 in overdraft protection because my check is direct deposited into my account and it's $2000. I was told that because my direct deposits is so large I was allowed the max in overdraft protection. Prior to today, I had never heard any of this and the other fees because the lack of knowledge thereof.

The bank has taken all of my money that was deposited into my account from my job for my travel and for the credits to my account.

The sad part about the situation is I lost my job today and my last check will be posted to my account this week and First Convenience Bank has taken my money.

I don't know if I'll get any resolve about this situation, but I feel good knowing that someone will listen to me. I closed my savings account today, but I can't close my checking account because it's in the negative and my check won't post until February 28, 2009.

I just moved here from out of state and I need to go home this weekend, but I can't because the bank has taken all of my money. I also have to close my account out on Saturday. This is the worst experience of my life and why do I have to pay for a mistake on behalf of the bank.

The bank was holding up my purchases and direct deposits until it was at a negative, then posting an overdraft fee.

I asked them how could I have made all of those purchases and my account was in the negative. They couldn't explain that. I told them there's no way humanly positive I could swipe my card 20 times with a negative balance.

To my understanding, if your account is in the negative the card will decline the purchase.

Please help me or help the next person from becoming a victim. First Convenience say they cater to the customers, but if charging 20 overdraft fees in the total of $699, I don't want or need your service.

Je

Comments

• Wa
      3rd of Jul, 2007
    First Convenience Bank - Horrible Customer service practice!

I have a customer of this bank here in texas for almost 7 years. Back in january of this year i started to buy phone cards over the internet, i had no problem what so ever until i went on vacation out of the country in april, when i got back the bank started to charge currency exchange fees, it took 2 months to find out from the bank as to why it was charging me this fees. Sometimes it was as high as $60 of fees for a $15 tranaction.

When i called customer service i was just told if i didnt like it to go somewhere else. They refused to tansfer me to a manager when i asked. I was actually told the reason i was charged this fees were because the company of the phone cards had a spanish name. I was never told as to why for 4 months i was not charged this fees, why the fees were so high, i could of send money by western union and only had paid a couple of dollars. I had letters and emails from the company stating tht all transactions were done in american dollars here in the united states, but i could not find one person in the bank that was willing to call the company and verify that. When i wrote to complain, all i got from the bank a very sarcastic letter. I will never do business with this bank and if you can help it, stay away from this bank.

• Co
      16th of Mar, 2009

Your story is pretty much the same as mine. In total this so called bank is charging me $865. Whats so funny about my story is the tellers at this bank are rude right to your face. When I asked, how can a person overdraft so much? What was their response..."It is your responsibility to know what you spend, not ours." Not ours? But you have the nerve to charge the $35 fee without my knowledge? I'm in the same boat as you are. I never knew about the overdraft protection that is supposed to help you out. I asked "Where can I see this in writing?" What was their response..."The teller was supposed to tell you..." Well, the idiot didnt. So you guys are only getting richer. But obviously that isnt their issue. I personally have decided to let everyone know what a horrible place(place because it is obviously not a bank)this is.

• Mo
      20th of May, 2009

i love first convenience bank!!! all banks have overdraft charges if you manege your money right it wont happen to you the [tellers cant always be there to hold your hand when you spend your money} GROW UP!!! LEARN HOW TO manege YOUR MONEY!!! THEY HAVE GRAT customer SERVICEs!!! I GUESS IF YOU CANT Manege YOUR MONEY THEN LET YOUR MOMYS AND DADS do IT FOR YOU!!! get over it!!! you work hard for your money!! take care of it!!

• Gl
      23rd of May, 2009

I agree, every bank charges overdrafts when you over spend. The bank and teller are not to blame and keep track of your finances. It is your responsibility to know what your correct balance Is by keeping a register.

Learn from it!

• Kr
      24th of Aug, 2009

This is a ligitimate complaint against 1st Inconvenience bank. They are a second chance bank for anyone who is unable to open a bank account anywhere else. This bank takes advantage of desperate people in need of a checking account and use shady practices to steal their money. I dealt with them for a short period of time, but I was not in need of a "second chance" bank so I closed the account as soon as I realized that they were trying to steal my money. My mother also opened an account with them soon after I did, and left for the same reasons. Unfortunately, my sister was in need of a second chance bank account and opened an account with them. I tried to warn her, but she was in desparate need of a checking account. She is now fighting with them to prove the outrageous overdraft fees she is being charged. She was told that it would take 5 business days to get back to her with an answer. Her account is overdrawn, so there have been no recent transactions. Now here's where it gets ugly; they are charging $2.95 per day for every day the account is overdrawn. These people are crooks!!
    I worked in the return items department at a bank for 2 years, so I know how it should work. I know that if a cash deposit is made before the books are closed for that day (usually before 2 PM) then that transaction should reflect immediately. 1st INconvenience bank doesn't do that! The mistake they made with my account was thinking they could charge me an overdraft fee for a transaction posted the previous night due to a "PENDING" transaction that didn't appear until the next day! This is a very corrupt bank.

If you want to file a formal complaint try this site: http://www.federalreserveconsumerhelp.gov/complaintinfo.cfm?info=1

• Ya
      7th of Sep, 2009

This is a legitimate complaint. I have been with this bank for many years (trying to give them several chances) and keep getting screwed. And for the one who said (and cannot spell) that people get screwed for not knowing how to manage their money.. that is not true. My ledger is always balanced and I was able to get this "wonderful" bank to give me back money on several occasions because I kept my ledger balanced. I was a victim of unauthorized charges in June.. they charged me 139 dollars in overdraft charges but had to return it all because it wasn't my fault. Since a person was running up my card (and I still don't know how they got that number), my account started going over. I ended up getting a new card, and lo and behold AGAIN some unauthorized charges. I am still perplexed.. either someone in the bank has my new card number and is using it at match.com (the person in June also used it at match.com and americansingles.. hmm), hot topic and Macy's... or it's some internet hacker.

Either way, I am taking my money out tomorrow and going with a better bank.

• Ti
      10th of Mar, 2010

I bank at first convenience bank and love it, I personally like the fact that even if you are in need of a second chance bank, they don't treat you any different or charge you for having to have a second chance account. As far as overdraft if you keep a register correctly and monitor your account on a regular basis then you shouldn't see any. And I have done it myself and once I listened to the teller I understood what happened to make me go overdraft. I also have direct deposit so I get the $700.00 overdraft protection as well, I think your problem is you are confused on what that is like I was. It doesn't mean your protected from getting fees, but that your purchases will be paid so your mortgage check doesn't bounce if you forgot to write down a transaction and you don't have the funds to cover it, or so you don't get declined with a cart full of groceries that you need. the overdraft protection doesn't cost you anything unless you USE it. And as far as fraudulent charges on a card if you pay by phone that person making minimum wage has all of your information, if you give it to a waiter same thing, and shopping online through unsecured sites is also dangerous. Be cautious of putting the card number or your account number for that matter. You might try a new service 1stcb offers its called identity secure which monitors all that and much more for you if that is a persistent problem. But what worked the BEST for me was being polite while explaining my situation to the teller helping me, I understand the frustration that comes with problems on the account, but I'm sure that the teller that is waiting to help you did not personally do anything to your account. They are only a representative of the bank and from all my past customer service experience being genuinely nice and ask for them to explain what happened and how to help you resolve the situation and ask questions on how not to end up in the same spot, then they will most likely be understanding and do whatever they can to help you out with whatever they can. Which in my case was all but one fee which I was responsible for, the others were due to a hotel pre-authorization (there was a sign in the lobby I was just unaware they charged at check in and check out till they made sure I didn't cause any damage that needed to be charged to my card) Since I had never asked for a fee to be refunded before and was unclear that the hotel but an extra hold on my funds the teller waived all the unexpected fees as a bank courtesy, I'm 100% positive it was due to I wasn't making a scene I was attentive and knew that she wasn't personally accountable for MY account being overdrawn and I wanted to know how to avoid making that mistake again. She was very happy to explain and answer every question I had. I have a second account at chase bank as well and something similar happened with a gas purchase and I was told they only refund fees that are due to bank error, no exceptions. Positive thing and attitude produces positive results. Maybe next time try a different approach with the person that is capable of helping you, I have always been more willing to help someone that was calm and polite over someone lashing out and barking orders of what they want me to do for them especially when its a situation where the person in front of you has the CHOICE to try and help you, but by no means do they have to satisfy you as long as they are within regulations set by our government. Attitude makes all the difference, remember that the next time you approach a teller with the ability to help you at a bank that actually will refund fees as a courtesy to help you, make it a point to be courteous, it will give a much more pleasurable response and you might be surprised with the result. I have had nothing but great experiences with them since, and the teller that resolved my issue always greets me by name now and goes above and beyond to make sure all of my banking needs are met and even give me any new infromation on account choices or perks as they become available (While they were running the refer a friend promotion i made 119.00 just by telling my coworkers of my experience and satisfaction gave them her card and she did the rest while I enjoyed seeing a bank give me money for a change) Hope this might change your mind, just allow someone the chance to help you might see how prior instances may have been more pleasurable. Hope this helps someone realize that there are banks willing to help you they want you to be pleased with their services and can offer their customers a great banking experience I know I've never found elsewhere!!!