First Choice Power / Overcharge and service

1 PO Box 659603Houston, UT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8664692464

We entered into a 2 year agreement and also arranged for them to be paid electronically by their debit. Our bills like others varied upon the season. The rate agreed was $0.142 /kWh. The agreement terminated in June 2008 and we received no reminder to ask if we wish to continue with a plan. As known, prices would not be the same as all energy costs have escalated. But we were expecting First Power to make some consideration and renew the contract with existing customers with some preference.
None of this happened, we received a bill electronically and in hard copy where the rate had jumped to $0.25 /kWH. In essence 50 percent increase. After contacting and discussing with "customer service" was informed we had been mailed a notice (Not received) but although we work with them electronically, nothing was posted on our account??

So we reviewed their new offers on line and if we are willing to accept their current packages then roughly the same $0.225 /kWh would be the annual rate. Investigated TXU and found $0.16/kWH available... "No brainer"

So switched... The next 2 bills from First Choice jumped to 0.253 /kWH??? They did not debit electronically and send us a $1, 005. bill without explanation. Ignore usage and seasonal differences I know the TXU bill will average $250.00 per month. First Choice(No pun intended) will charge at least $85.00/$100.0 more and remember they are only administrator providers Contacted First Power "Customer Service" who explains that I was missing a bill for July service period, how can I...Its an electronic account?? "I don't know, I can see you are set up for automatic billing."

If you want to know more on this rip off, post it on this site... My recommendation... USE the alternatives like TXU etc... be careful of the safety net you think you have with electronic billing and write down on your Outlook Calendar when contracts like these are terminating. As they knew they had terminated the contracted "Price Gouging" at it's most obvious.

Comments

• Po
      5th of Sep, 2008

My previous email shows First Choice Utah typo...Houston Texas. Apologies to all.

26th of Sep, 2008

I am in the houston area too. Same thing happend to me. I filed a complaint thru the Texas Energy Commision. I suggest you do the same. I am also checking on my legal rights thru the commision also.