Fiat 500 Sport / repeated breakdowns and electrical problems

2015 Fiat 500 Sport Complaint

Purchased 08-10-14

Today's mileage: 39, 098

VIN: 3C3CFFBR4FT501011

Since I've owned this vehicle, I have had it towed 5 times.

My complaints are:

• We have replaced the left headlight 4 times, the right headlight 3 times,
• We have replaced the left and right tail lights 3 times each. I really don't believe I should pay $35 to replace headlights/tail lights since this seems to be an ongoing issue with this vehicle.
• At one point the console went completely black. I could not see my speed, didn't know how much gas I had, etc. (12-15-17) Replaced IPC Assembly.

• The next incident that happened was upon start up, the engine shook the whole car and when putting it in gear the car surged and stalled alternately. The dash console flashed all the lights that exist and one by one it said to check each of the items it reports on. The first time this happened it seemed to be a computer problem and was repaired. (11-22-16)

• That same issue happened a second time on 01-09-19. I had it towed to an authorized repair business. I was told they had to order an "auto shut down relay."

• Here's the killer. I have not had use of my car since 01-10-19 and they say the part is on backorder until February 22, 2019. Outrageous! In addition, I had to pay for the part which I feel is unfair.

• Also, the display dimmer never did boost the brightness in daylight and reduce the brightness in the dark. After repeated complaining about this non-function, the resolution was to disable the feature making it a manual setting.

• One more complaint. The trim on the outside of the car by the mirrors has rotted and needs to be replaced. The dealership wants to charge me for this which I don't believe I should have to pay.

I cannot believe I'm the only customer having these problems. Fiat's electrical system seems to be faulty and that should not be my problem.
By the way: Ii have the extended warrant from opal that expires 07-20-21 or at 85, 000miles. I'm told this is useless to me by the dealer and by the authorized repair shop.

• Updated by Greg Welliver, Jan 29, 2019

Auto correct changed Mopar to Opal. My warranty is with Mopar.

Gr