Fairfield Inn / I felt insulted and belittled!

I am a resident of the Beltsville/Calverton, Maryland 20705 for the past 22 years. I regularly would go over to the Ramada Inn which is located in the Calverton Shopping Center located off of Powdermill Road and Beltsville Drive.

For the past, I guess, almost 10 years now, I think, it has been changed to the Fairfield Inn. It is a nice place, and I often go there, talk with the employees I know, have coffee and watch t.v. in their lounging area. Sometimes, I get coffee or tea and take it out the door with me, when I am heading off to work or on my way home, which is usually a seven block walk. I am 54, and sometime I need a break off my legs before I go home, so when I get off the bus, I stop by the Fairfield Inn. I call it my second home. I help a lot of the desk clerks with information the guests may need about the area outside of the hotel such as stores or restaurants, or how to get to public transportation sites. I have even, twice, provided the hotel with a manual that I made up with information that they can readily use to help their guests with any information that they need. I provided maps, yellow and white page information about restaurants and stores, and directions to different locations. I did this because this is the type of person I am. No one else would have ever done this for the hotel, and that I know for sure. I am a very friendly individual and am not shy about talking to anyone. I try to be nice to people and I try not to cause trouble. Apparently now, as of January, 2007, I guess I hit the unwelcomed mat by an employee who works behind the front desks. I was off to work, and had my boss stop at the Fairfield Inn to get us some coffee before we headed out of the city. We usually do this whenever he came into Maryland and picked me up. The employees are forever changing at the Fairfield Inn, so I guess each time you deal with new staff members, you will have to accept new rules.

I don't know if the employee is a manager or not, but she approached me as I was leaving, and told me not to take anymore coffee from the hotel, that it is for their guests. I responded, nicely, ok, and left with my two cups of coffee in hand. It wasn't until I was in the car, that I started to feel bad about her approach. She is new to the Fairfield Inn, trying to gain brownie points and sticking her nose in positions that don't really concern her. They have management people for their front desk, their lounge/catering area, and cleaning areas. I know the manager of the lounge area and he has never stopped me from getting coffee before. I have never been approached in the past 22 years until now that I was not able to get coffee and sit down and watch what was on their t.v. set. They have meetings at the Fairfield Inn, and they have engagements there for church and other events all the time. The people that attend these engagements aren't paying the hotel for their use of it, yet they get coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or whatever, and no one stops them and said that these items are for the guests of the hotel. Where is my activity really different? Does she have the right to tell me that I can't have a cup of coffee there when I go there, which is usually like 3 or 4 times a week. There is not much to do in Calverton, when you are on foot, so the Fairfield Inn is a nice, quiet place, that I felt real comfortable visiting. If you have any input on this, please let me have that. Sincerely, A. C. Smith

Va

Comments

14th of Oct, 2007

I chose neutral on this complaint, because I understand where you are coming from. I am an Operations Manager at a Marriott. I appreciate that you want to help the Front Desk Staff and the hotel in general by helping its guests. But you seem to think that you are justified then to essentially steal coffee from the hotel. You are incorrect in assuming that non-guests, such as those attending meetings, do not pay for items such as coffee. They do, usually in the form of a catering/beverage charge based on the estimated number of people attending the event.

A hotel is a business like any other business. What if someone sat in your office and gave advice to everyone who came through the door? What if that person walked through your breakroom anytime they wanted and helped themselves? Do you walk into banks and go to each candy dish, picking out your favorite selections then leave?

The lobby / breakfast room of a hotel is not a public place like a library is. And there are reasons for that. I applaud the Manager who came up to you in what sounds like a rather discreet way. She didn't make a huge deal about it and she didn't have the police escort you out, which would have been in her right to do. Technically what you are doing is trespassing.

In closing, since it does sound like you have a genuine concern for the hotel's guests experience in your town, may I suggest joining your local visitor's bureau or volunteer at one of Maryland's welcome centers.

• Ga
      3rd of May, 2009

DEAR MOOCHER,
    FIRST OF ALL, YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT THE REAL PICTURE HERE MIS THANG! YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT A GUEST OF MARRIOTT LET ALONE FAIRFIELD INN. THE SIGN OUTSIDE MORE THAN LIKELY SAYS "FAIRFIELD INN" NOT "STARBUCKS" SO IF THE PLACE MADE YOU FEEL "COMFORTABLE" GOOD, BUT STILL FIND IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CONFUSE THE MEANING OF COMFORATABLE WTH YOU FEELING THAT THE FAIRFIELD INN OWES YOU SOMETHING. IT WAS YOUR CHOICE TO ASSIST THE EMPLOYEES IN THE PAST AND YOU WERE NOT ASKED TO BY ANYONE. YOU ARE TOSSING YOUR FRIENDLINESS AROUND FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE AS A WAY TO MANIPULATE YOUR WAYS ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. HINT OF ADVISE: GET A LIFE, GO TO STARBUCKS, AND QUIT BEING A MOOCH, NO ONE LIKES THEM.

• Br
      11th of Sep, 2018
    Fairfield Inn and Suites - No pets allowed
    Ukiah
    California

Family was displaced by fire in Nor California two days ago. Fairfield inn and suites RUDELY said no pets allowed. Sorry, I will never ever stay in another hotel operated by this chain nor will I tell anyone to stay here. Also they are charging regular room rates to EVERYONE displaced by the fire. Way to benefit from others EXTREME disadvantage

• Ro
      15th of Oct, 2018
    Fairfield Inn & Suites, Spokane, WA - Billing Practices
    Spokane, WA

Stayed two nights, 10/6 & 10/7/2018 as quests of the Spokane Dog Training Club. The Club had an agreement with the Inn that the stay was to be charged to SDTC credit card.
    Returned home to find the bill charged to our personal credit card. Mistake or intentional attempt to "double dip" ?

Robert Knight

• Cy
      6th of Nov, 2018
    Fairfield Inn and Suites - Billing
    Corpus Christi
    Texas

I booked a room through priceline. I was charged through priceline for the room then received the same charge through fairfield inn for the same booking.