EverHome Mortgage / Late Fees

United States, Florida, Jacksonville Review updated:
EverHome Mortgage
P.O. Box 2167
My account was sold to EverHome Mortgage in November, 2008. December, 2008 I sent a check and it was not cashed until 12/11/08. In January, 2009, I paid on line on January 2, 2009 and they charged me $12.00 late fee because it was late (due on 1/1/09). I sent them an email and their customer service department called and left me a message that since it was due on 1/1/09 that I was late because I paid on 1/2/09. I have never heard of this and I cannot get anyone to return my call to explain it to me. During the 8 years that I have had this mortgage, I have never had a late fee and do not think I should have gotten this one for paying on 1/2/09. I feel that the $12.00 should be credited back to my account or they can put it on the principal. I don't want a late fee on my mortgage. Thank you for any help you can give me.

N  13th of May, 2009 by
I agree. I am on the same boat. Every mortgage compamy that I have dealt with has always had a least a 14 day grace period. This company will charge you a late fee of $12 for the first 15 days "late", and a late penalty of $32 if received more than 15 days late. Ouch!
N  25th of Jun, 2009 by
I fought everhome on this same charge, it is not " a late fee" it is a payment processing fee, and if you pay online, you will be charged this amount no-matter what.
I had to pay it unfortunatly for two years, after complaining to the department of banking, attorney general's office, and the office of thrift supervision that oversees everhome, it was finally dropped. I continue to pay online, and do not pay this outrageous fee any longer.
It is just another way for everhome to rip you off.
D  6th of Apr, 2010 by
The $12.00 was a pay by phone fee; not a late charge. All mortgage companies charge a fee for payments that are done past the 1st of the month. To avoid this charge you can go online and set yourself up on a monthly drafting, which you can set up to draft up to your grace period for free. This way it will come out of your account within the time frame you set up, no fees are accessed and can pay after the first with no issues. Hope this helps!
N  19th of Apr, 2010 by
they reported that my payments were late when they weren't