Europcar Spain / overcharging - swindle!

1 Australia Review updated:

We hired a Europcar for one day at 10 am 0n 28 April 09 from Granada Railway Station, Spain. We returned it as per our booking and rental agreement on the same day at 5.30 pm to the designated Europcar bay at Seville Railway Station. We were not involved in any incident or accident during the day. When we returned the car it was in perfect condition with a full tank of petrol. However, our credit card was charged 410.46 euros on 30 April. We have received no correspondance from Eurocar. Several requests to customer service for an explanation and rectification remain unanswered.

Comments

30th of Jul, 2009

Hi there, I have the exact same thing; they charged us for 'damage', EUR 300.
    How did you solve it? we tried several email addresses but no reply as well.
    Any advice much appreciated. thanks so much!

• Mo
      4th of Aug, 2009

I Have the same thing as well, they charged me for damage and petrol while i returned the car is excellent condition with a full tank of petrol
    the are soooooo bad

• Wi
      15th of Sep, 2009

Hi - Do not use Eurocar in spain - The same thing happen to me. Over charged €429.03 and €166.55. Trying to get an answer is impossible. We got a car and 10 minutes into our trip the clutch went!!! Got a replacement car and returned it in perfect order and full petrol. Was told this charge was for mis-use !!

• Ar
      19th of Oct, 2009

Hi guys,

same here, returned the car in perfect condition and all good signed off that there was no damage and suddenly got a charge on my CC for 240 euros ! opened a case with support and still waiting (after 70 days almost ). On the process of asking the moey back through my bank !

DO NOT HIRE FROM EUROPCAR SPAIN ...

• Pe
      30th of Aug, 2010

Hi guys, I have worked for a very large car rental company in Spain/Barcelona and can assure you that they ONLY way to safely rent and RETURN a car is to ---write down every single scratch on it BEFORE driving away--- and especially UPON RETURN GET A WRITTEN CONFIRMATION from personnel that the car is undamaged and returned with full tank

What I suggest is tell your bank to cancel any fees being charged on your credit card (if possible). Also send a written complaint to the car rental company (yes they MAY even read your letters!)
    I do not work in the car rental business anymore - it was already too "forced sales" oriented with lousy salaries.

• Lp
      1st of May, 2011

Incredible! We returned our car in perfect condition to Barajas. Europcar personnel already very inefficient and rude at check-out and very slow in checking in. Had to leave car there. Now receive invoice and they have charged EUR 240 for damage that was inexistent. What a disgrace. I will pursue this. Don't rent from Europcar Spain. Service is zero and clearly they are also dishonest.

• Go
      13th of May, 2011

The same happened to my family in Malaga. We drove the car 400km and the clutch went out in the middle of nowhere. They eventually came with a taxi and took us to Seville. There, they told us not to worry about the other car that it was being taken to Cordoba to be accessed. To make a long story short when we left Spain they still could not tell us anything . Two months later back home in Canada, we receive charges on our Mastercard for 2100 Euros. No documentation, nothing!
    Impossible to get a hold of customer service. Tried many times.
    BMO mastercard is now fighting it for us. Do not rent from Eurocar in Spain. Very dishonest comapny!!
    Clem

• Ct
      23rd of Jan, 2013

Same problem here. The vehicle had damages when I picked it up in Algeciras. Those damages are clearly written on the contract.
    When I dropped the car at the Malaga airport they said those damages were new and they needed to check with the Algeciras agency (which was conveniently closed). I told them everything is clearly stated in the contract and those damages were already there.
    None the less when I came back home there were 2 charges totaling about USD$950 which I've been fighting for 3 weeks. Involved my credit card company as well.
    A few suggestions, as I finally spoke to someone who actually opened a claim. The Spain customer service line is 34-902-40-50-20 and their e-mail is [protected]@europcar.com. You will probably get no answers though as it took me 3 weeks to actually speak to someone. The way I got there was to call the US customer service line: (877) 940-6900. Press 2.
    I actually spoke to someone in the UK (go figure) who transferred me to someone in Spain... I got transferred several times but finally spoke to someone who was helpful and spoke English. She opened a claim, gave me her name, the claim number and what to do... she said it will take 7 to 10 business days... now will see if it works.
    Awful experience! And when I rented from Europcar in Morocco... zero problems! Even got a refund!

• Eu
      2nd of Sep, 2013

Hello! similar problem with the deposit deducted from my CC at Europcar Isla Cristina.
    2 cars were returned in a perfect condition with a full tank.. It is a theft!!

• Ab
      31st of Jan, 2014

The clutch of our rental car (a Hyundai with 40, 000 plus mileage) went out on highway south of Granda. No problem with calling in and we received a replacement car. When we returned car, we were told that all was in order. Two weeks later, we found that Eurocar charged our bank account close to 400 Euro. We filed a complain to the custom service and received a reply (after several days) that the charge was for the damage "dur to the bad use of it."

• My
      3rd of Jul, 2014

I have just found an extra charge of approximately 40 euros for fuel. The car was filled in Marbella and then I had to brim the car at Malaga Airport to reach the minimum charge before returning.
    The car was returned out of hours so it seems they have added a little 'bonus' charge.
    May be I am lucky they did not also charge for some imaginary damage.
    I recommend not to rent from Europcar, as this is third problem I have had.
    1) Manchester Airport, there were no cars for a business trip
    2) Italy, charge over 100 euros for refuelling - returned by my credit card company

• Mr
      15th of Feb, 2016

Never mind Spain - you want to try Newcastle Airport - the guy there full-faced swindled me into taking out Collision Damage insurance, after lying about my credit card not being valid . I had to change the rental period to save some money, but ended up paying four times my online price.
    I called customer services later ( as i was furious at discovering that my card was valid ) and it is being investigated now.

Advice - go with documentation, and if you are ever disputed - tell them you need a few minutes to call their customer services center.
    And make your enquiries before commiting to any changes !

• Wo
      7th of Jun, 2016

I urge all US citizens never to rent a vehicle from this Company!!!
    We rented an SUV in Dublin & returned it to them in perfect Condition. They said that the Tire Rim had a Spec of yellow paint on it - they are trying to charge us $ 500 Euros for Damage. I've already Disputed with my Credit Card Company - not sure that this will help.
    They are the most ridiculous company - Numerous employees at the Dublin Airport referred to them as "Gangsters" !!

• Ze
      19th of Mar, 2017

I rented a VW polo online through Auto Europe, with pick up & return at Seville Santa Justa train station, I purchased full insurance with zero deductable, I paid it online fully. When I went to pick up the car, they forced us to upgrade it Audi we refused it, they said our luggage will not fit so we have to at least upgrade it to VW Golf with 10 Euro extra a day. We accepted it. They said we don't have insurance for tires and windshield so we paid extra for that. at the end we were supposed to pay extra 65 Euro. I paid with credit card, which I regret now. We returned the car full tank without any damage. I came back to US yesterday, and there is a charge for 401.50 Euro. I am trying to reach them via phone and no one anwers it. I wonder if we can complain about this company to somewhere in europe like Better Business Buro here in US. This is making me sick! Worse car company ever. This is a modern day theft.

25th of Aug, 2017

We hired a car from Murcia airport end of July beginning of August we Paid £286 thought nothing of it until we reached the airport they wanted another £600 although that is with the premier insurance we had too pay the robbing so and so's we payed grudgingly and told them so we brought the car back full of fuel no damage but 4 day's later £87.18 was taken from our account and still not received the rental deposit back have contacted UK customer service numerous times and was told too contact europcar Spain gave me a number and it's not even recognised any joy with other people out there and who too contact

9th of Dec, 2017

We hired a rental car in Malaga and even though we had booked package 'medium' online which reduces the excess to 50 EUR they charged my credit card with more than 400 EUR. I have complained many times but wasn't able to get my money back. Later they said that part of the money was for petrol, but the the tank was full and fuel did not appear on the bill. Don't assume they can be trusted because they are big. For me this is organized crime. I so far had never problems with Sixt and Avis.