Esurance / Check your rates

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

I went to esurance two years ago after another carrier dropped me because of an accident. At first, I thought their rates were fair considering my accident. However, after two years, my rates weren't coming down, but points were coming off my driving record. When I questionsed them, I was informed that they count points for 5 years. I live in CA and in CA, I thought tickets and accidents were only supposed to be held against you for 3 years. So I called other insurance carriers. What I found is several carriers only went back three years and the result was, my new insurance is $1800 a year less than esurance rates!

If you live in CA, have points coming off your driving record, and are insured with esurance, but your rates are not also coming down, check with other carriers, it could save you alot.

Va

Comments

• Ha
      18th of Mar, 2009

I have clean New York license (zero points) and no accident (thanks to God) and I was charged more this month.
    If they don't charge me less this time I'm going to go somewhere else.

Hakim Talbi

• Kr
      12th of May, 2009

You can be surcharged on your policy for only 3 years, but the accident/ticket will show up on your insurance record for 5 years and will prevent you from receiving all of the best discounts for the 5 years.

• Th
      18th of Jun, 2009

agreed, esurance didn't lower my rates for a speeding ticket and geico did.

• Je
      26th of Jun, 2010

No matter who you have, esurance, geico, progressive, all state, or any other...

Every company has different underwriting standards, not to mention that there are some things on your driving history that if they start on your policy, CAN NOT be rerated by the new carrier regardless if you have been with them for six weeks or 16 years!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS shop...

For example, depending on your state, if you start a policy with company X Y or Z, but you have had a lapse of coverage for ANY length of time, you will have a lapse rating on that policy FOREVER!!! So, once you have your new policy for a minimum of 6-12 months, SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!

So, when you got the quotes from company X Y and Z to start a new policy today, they would ALL be rating you with a lapse rating. X quoted you 150/mo. Y quoted you 165/mo. Z quoted you 140/mo. So, today you start with Z, at $140./m0.

Six months from now, company Z offers you a renewal of $140.00/mo again! HOWEVER, now that you have had continuous coverage for 6 months, companies X and Y, may be able to offer you $120 and $130, instead of the $150 and 165 from today, BUT, company Z still has to use the lapse, because they can't use a policy of THEIRS to rerate back to "continuous" coverage.

So, six months from now, you change to company X because they were able to get you at $120.00/mo... THEN, next year... come back into the market!!! SHOP SHOP SHOP!!! Company Z, can now rate you with ONE YEAR of CONTINUOUS coverage, because you had a minimum of 6 months with company X, so now get quotes from company N, Y and Z, because your rating factors have changed again, and MAYBE other companys can beat the rate at company X, because some of the rating factors may not be able to be adjusted by company X!!!

I am a licensed agent with a particular company. I understand that this type of thing can be very frustrating to try and keep up with! I see these same complaints in different forums with Esurance, AllState, State Farm, Geico, and many many other companies, and even my own company! They are frustrating, I will not and do not deny this. However, do a little research, do your homwork, and in the long run, you may save yourself LOTS AND LOTS of money and frustration, and/or get yourself a LOT more coverage for the same amount of money you are paying now!