Esurance / Discrimination

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

Substantially higher policy rate for singles. If you have no current or (get this, a prior) marriage or no domestic partner, your rate is $60 higher for six months. They do not tell you this if and when you agree to a policy quote. Not a peep. I told them I'm gay and not (how do I put this) "endowed" which if you know anything about gay life, not 18, and not hung, no marriage for you, no matter what. That's just the way it is.

Singles (and gays who cant get a husband) need to get a hold of their congressman and stop this baloney. Sheesh. I can't think of anything more damaging to your financial status then a divorce - which is 50% likely if you tie the knot. This is open discrimination against single people and for no reason, at least the way they state it. Has everyone gone to the moon?

Jo
Sep 9, 2013

Comments

9th of Sep, 2013

I don't know how to tell you this...but... divorce can and often does ruin your financial status and >50% of marriages (we're talking straight marriages here) end in divorce. Gay marriages will be at least 80%...one trip to the baths can end those relationships...oh, yeah, that's right, as long as there isn't some financial goodies involved (anyway, the divorce lawyers are licking their chops). FICO scores and credit history are just as important in setting rates. And btw, the accident rates for singles is nowadays almost the same as for married or domestic partnered people - especially those over age 50. You're referring to old stats and under 40's.

By the way, the person that I talked to told me its just that in SF this marriage or domestic partnership thing is just popular and that's why such a large discount. That IS discrimination. Anyway, at their behest, I told them I have a domestic partner and they gave me the discount.