eHarmony / overpriced rip-offs!

United States Review updated:
Don't waste your time with eHarmony. I only signed up for a trial subscription (thank goodness) and soon found out that the service is over-rated. The service charges over a few hundred bucks for a year's subscription--it's a rip-off. Five to ten dollars a month is all they should be charging. Neil Clark Warren is pocketing a ton of money. Neil claims to be a Christian... I don't think it's godly to be charging such an unfair rate.

A  18th of Mar, 2007 by
I was charged for the service when I did not want the service. Was reviewing what they had to offer only one day.
A  27th of Mar, 2007 by
E-harmony is terrible. After seeing their ads and commercials, I thought e-harmony stood out from the rest of the dating/relationship websites out there. I read their "success stories" and felt confident this was a good service to sign up for to find some viable options for men to date seriously. So I took the plunge and signed up for 6 months. I figured 6 months because a) I might not find some good matches right away (assuming I'd at least communicate and go out with 1-2) and b) that would provide me service through the summer at a much more discounted rate than the per month rate of the 3-month rate, which are ridiculous prices!

From day one of being on eharmony I was disappointed with the service. The personality profile was surprisingly accurate in some areas and then COMPLETELY WRONG in other areas, significant areas - like communication style and openness with emotions. I'd say those are key areas to determining compatibility! Unfortunately, once your free profile is in you can't do anything to update it or try to improve the accuracy of it...even once you're a paying customer! The only things you can change are a handful of preferences that will only effect the pool from which your "compatible" matches come from.

One of my matches flat out described the type of woman he was looking for and it was exactly the opposite of me! And we're considered "compatible". Obviously not. The majority of my matches I wouldn't even consider and half of my matches "closed" me out. So basically, the ONLY THING I REALLY HAVE IN COMMON WITH MY MATCHES IS THAT WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN EACH OTHER!

When I initially signed up I was given about 5 matches right away. All were totally unacceptable especially since I couldn't go browse on my own for others on eharmony. A little while later that night I ran a search for "new matches" and it told me their database could not find anyone else in the database that was considered compatible with me. So I complained using their "tell us how we're doing" survey. This survey lets you say how satisfied you are with your matches - are they compatible, are there enough matches provided, are they communicating, how many matches do you expect to receive each week. So I said I was very dissatisfied with everything and that i expected more matches. Well the next morning, VOILA, they found me about 5 more matches. How DID they do that? Apparently, 5 more men (compatible with me on 29 components) signed up overnight! What luck! (although still totally unacceptable matches)

The other problem with matches is that you can be matched with a non-subscriber, which means you can't communicate with them until they sign up. When they view your profile as a non-subscriber they don't see your picture, which means they have to blindly sign up to meet you. Which honestly, for most people that's unacceptable. As a paying customer there is no way to know who is a subscriber and who isn't. For all I know half my matches could be non-subscribers and utterly "worthless". And since there is no way to browse for other eharmony subscribers, for all I know there could be only 50 men subscribed to eharmony!!

I tried to be patient with eharmony and be open-minded and play by their system of feedback, but their matches for me have just been totally unacceptable. And unfortunately, according to their customer service reps, I was 1 day too patient because I am 1 day too late to have my money refunded under their risk-free trial period.

Their customer service reps have in each of their responses to my complaints and request for a refund suggested that I'm in the wrong and their system is right. If the profile's a little inaccurate, 'maybe you need to be more introspective and you'll discover it's more accurate than you think'. Or they've suggested that even if small areas of the profile are off, your compatibility matching will still be ok. How does that make sense?! If my profile is off in some significant areas and that's what determines my 29 points of compatibility, then how can eharmony just choose to ignore the errors and still claim my compatibility is still the same? It just doesn't make sense!

To make matters worse, at the end of each of their insensitive and generic responses, they include a line like "thank you for choosing eHarmony to find the love of your life". ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I just told you I HATE YOUR SERVICE, MY MATCHES ARE NOT EVEN VIABLE, I WANT A REFUND and I WILL DISCOURAGE ANYONE AND EVERYONE FROM USING YOUR SERVICE!!

All I want is my money back. What happened to "the customer is always right?" I was a genuine customer who really felt confident the service they provided was going to be good. I wouldn't have signed up for 6-months right off the bat otherwise. But I am sincerely disappointed after really trying to work with their service and now I just want my money back. I did not meet the "love of my life" in 8 days and I'm not trying to scam eharmony of money. I genuinely tried their service and hated it. I WANT A REFUND! CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION! PLEASE!

I am generally not an angry person and this is very out of character for me to be so furious, but I really feel like I was SCAMMED out of my money. That's how disappointing this service was for me. I told them to bill me for the week (or 8 days!) that I was on, but that's not even a consideration. They must get a lot of people who are unhappy and wanting out of their subscriptions! I'd even be willing to pay for the whole first month since if they'd just refund the remainder of my subscription. I JUST WANT MY MONEY BACK!

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR EHARMONY! It's not worth the money!
A  5th of May, 2007 by
I registered for a limited free trail w/EHarmony, to see if it was all they claim. My impression from the first group determined to be potential matches, was their software program has an internal search engine, & it simply "matched" a key word or 2 from the profile portion where people write something out.. I did not feel this service fulfilled it's motto of true compatibility, so I didn't continue. Of course, they bombarded the email address I provided; but fortunately, I provided them w/one created solely for this purpose :p

Very sorry to read like experiences here, from people who paid. For what it's worth, your posting about it will help others to avoid this sham. That effort is appreciated. Best of luck to everyone.
A  20th of Jun, 2007 by
Eharmony stole my money and said that its just too freaking bad I was not getting it back...

N  5th of Jul, 2007 by
There are some valid concerns with eHarmony.com. I agree they should let you know who is a real subscriber and who is not. They do however give refunds. I know from personal experience. They also offer discounted subscribtion rates once you're a customer.

My biggest gripe is that as a paid subscriber I expect to get some good matches but the few that I find to be good ones I never hear back from so I assume they were never paying customers. Also, many times I get 5 new matches but only 1 will have a photo... well how in the world do I know if i want to initiate conversation with someone if I don't know what they look like. I am a male but I don't know of any females who would willingly begin a conversation with a man whose appearance they didn't know. You should also be able to get the height and weight of your matches. Photos can be real deceiving. I have seen some where it's just a close up of their face and they appear to be attractive and then come to find out they weigh 170 pounds and they're 5'5"!!!!
A  6th of Sep, 2007 by
I hate eHarmony. I'm just waiting for my membership to expire. Found that the men in their 40-50's receive 100's of matches PER WEEK... I was disappointed in the few matches. When I requested more, I was told there weren't any more in the data base.

The site is turning men into picky egomaniacs - because they think that because they receive so many matches women can be dismissed without being courteous and respectful.

It's been a terrible experience.

A couple guys portrayed themselves as PHD therapists, and in doing a background check I found their profiles were not truthful - one lied by 10 years about his age, and was married. The other said he'd been married, but never had.

Not good.

Watch out women. Don't subscribe. The site leads you to believe that you'll be sent 100's of available men. Not so.
The men have the edge at this site for sure.

Stay away - Match.com is much better, and is far more economical.
A  26th of Sep, 2007 by
I am having virtually the same experience with harmony. I HATE THEM PASSIONATELY. What a joke. Since joining up less then 3 weeks ago, I have received 130 matches, many of which initiated contact with me. The problem is that almost every single one of them is hideously unattractive. And I mean REALLY unattractive: overweight, bald, homely, short, appearing MUCH older than stated age, can't spell, the list goes on and on.

I have CLOSED most contacts before they could even think of contacting me, since I have tried unsuccessfully to get my money back and was denied. I don't even want these losers to try to contact me because there is not a chance in HELL that I would even consider them. EVER. Under ANY circumstances. Not even to repopulate the planet.

When I complained about this to eHarmony they suggested that I needed to post more pictures or add to my profile. No no no, I told them. You're not getting it. I'm getting TONS of matches and TONS of contacts. That is not the problem. They all look like they either rode the short bus or are just complete rejects. One guy even listed "making sex" as one of his leisure activities. Oh really, Jose? You like cooking and making sex? Well, get this amigo. You and I will NOT be whipping up a batch of empaneled and then making hot sex EVER in this lifetime. Not as long as you sport that meximullet and those tiny striped shorts. Give me el break-o!

Additionally, I think the "guided communication" is a load of ###. I would expound on this, but it's time for me to go to lunch and it's not even worth my time. Basically, eHarmony is a WASTE of time and money. Customer service sucks- they simply attempt to keep you on long enough to deny your refund. When I initially asked for the refund, they gave me suggestions and a whole slew of new matches. A week later when I asked again, they said it was too late.

Conclusion: eHarmony SUCKS and should change their name to eGAGme. Thanks for nothing, Dr. Warren. You're an ###.
A  10th of Oct, 2007 by
I signed up for a "one-month" membership....the shorter memberships are pricier, which makes perfect sense. I was charged $59.95 for the one month. Towards the end of the month, I wrote eHarmony an e-mail (to their FAQ website) as a reminder that I was NOT interested in extending the membership, asking them to please make sure to cancel me. Since that time, PayPal has continued to bill my credit card $49.95 per month on eHarmony's behalf. They have now fraudulently billed my credit card approximately $250. On a month-by-month basis, I short-pay my credit card by $49.95, and I've written letters upon e-mails to eHarmony, PayPal and my bank in attempts to stop this fraudulent practice. I've spent hours trying to get this resolved. I would love to join with others in a class action suit to stop this fraudulent practice!
N  28th of Oct, 2007 by
Okay, I have had enough of this eHarmony crap! They just tried to match me with my ex-husband!!!
A  31st of Oct, 2007 by
eHarmony is arrogant and rude. They terminated my account and sent out an email to all my matches telling them they could not be responsible if the person chose to continue communicating with me, although they could not disclose why they terminated me.

They will not tell me why they terminated my account, although I suspect a woman I dated for several months had something to do with it since she has been spreading falsehoods to my friends. Fortunately my friends know who I am, but eHarmony is slandering my character without asking me what happened.
A  3rd of Dec, 2007 by
I contacted EHarmony regarding a "match" I had sent to me... at the end of her profile she says... My subscription expires in August... the "match" was generated on 12.03.07. I contacted "customer service" and "Jamey" said that this was a mistake and offered to extend my membership for one month... I was beyond the period for a refund... I guess I am the sucker... but they made this mistake not me.
N  2nd of Mar, 2008 by
EHarmony renews subscriptions even after you deliberately unchecked the renewal button. I had to wrangle to get my money back, but I did.

For what its worth, its a joke. I signed for 3 months and was bored to tears in 1 week. Yes, there was dialogue, but who can get excited about email? It was so dumb, I realized I like the bar scene
A  5th of May, 2008 by
I just sat here and read this entire page. What is the matter with you people? Are you not living in the 21st century? Do you not have access to any form of mass communication? (Obviously you do, you're here.) Then why are you wasting your time and money on one of the biggest scams known to mankind, namely eHarmony? The first red flag is their commercials. Listen carefully. "Log on today and review your matches for free." And that's all you get to do for free. You can't see photos. You can't communicate. The second red flag is any site that asks you for a credit card number for a 'free trail.' If it's free why do they need your credit card number? C'mon people. Are ya getting it yet? The third red flag are guys that have lives that are just incredibly unbelievable. Guess what? Any man that has the kind of life that these guys claim to have wouldn't be trolling an online dating site looking for a mate. Do you have any idea how many beautiful, wealthy, intelligent women that kind of guy meets in a week? You don't have that many fingers and toes to count them on. There are online sites that don't charge a dime. Try googling '100% free no credit card online dating' and see what happens. And the good part is at least the guys on those sites are smart enough not to waste their money on eHarmony.
N  5th of May, 2008 by
PS - If you want your money back talk to your bank or credit card company. Regardless of what eHarmony says about refunds, individual states have their own laws regarding this and many banking/credit institutions have their own guidelines when it comes to protecting their clients. Go for it. The more complaints that banks and credit card companies get the more good it will do. ### walks, money talks.
N  7th of May, 2008 by
Any ideas what's the best dating Web site to use?
A  13th of Feb, 2009 by
Well, I can take it one step further. Those "couples" that ar so lovingly portrayed on E-harmony's television ads: THEY'RE ALL PAID ACTORS!

I am in the tv and film business in Los Angeles, and when I read this on a casting notice, my teeth about fell out (or would have if they'd been loose enough).

You meet someone when you meet someone - whether online or in person. I'd rather wait, thank you. I have had absolutely awful experiences with online dating, and for now, will just be content with a good book and my wonderful cats.

And you CAN get back your mooney - just threaten them with your state's attorney general's office, and you'll see E-harmony do a real backstep on the no refund statements.

Take care everyone!

A  3rd of Mar, 2009 by
I signed up with eHarmony because my family and friends wanted me to meet someone that I could go to dinner with, go fishing with, even go to the movie with. However, when they profile you fill out is complete they must discard it as you tell them what age bracket you are interested in and the height of the person, the nationality of the person, etc., and all you get is short, little fat, bald headed people that are rarely out of their 40s. Either that or they are in their 80s. I am sorry. I nursed my husband for many years and I DO NOT WANT A MAN THAT I HAVE TO NURSE. not to say that I would not take care of a person should the need arise but I am definitely not looking for one in the onset. If you do not do as they say and communicate with the people they send they will send you no more matchs and tell you there are none avaiable. Well I am not available. Hear me now and hear me well. I want my money back and I want it back now. If I want to find someone, I will do it on my own. I have never yet had trouble finding a man if and when I wanted one and I do not foresee any trouble now. I feel like eHarmony is a false advertisement. I think maybe we should all get together and do a class action or something to stop them. I have a terrific attorney.
N  10th of Dec, 2009 by
626-795-4814 the number on the site, that 800 number, they will NEVER call you back. This takes you directly to their corporate offices at 800 E Walnut in Pasadena, California
N  17th of Dec, 2015 by
I cannot find an option for stopping eHarmony from bombarding me with emails. I want to stop any contact with them. I tried their service for two years without result--the site did nothing to meet my expectations. Big disappointment.
A  4th of Jan, 2016 by
E harmony is an economical rapist! It says 3 month trial but comes every month after to eat the funds, makes it impossible to return to account to re_unsubcribe for what was a time agreed TRIAL in the first place! I don't care if it's .99 cents; when the service is unwanted stop grabbing money that isn't yours. Online dating is pathetic. Every site is the same, free or paid, but, free is always better, at least the free ones don't economically rape consumers. And the expectations of being billionaires is slightly less on free sites.

eHarmony Logo eHarmony