Efax Ecall / Cancellation of service with 24 hours notice

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I purchased an "eCall" 0845 telephone number from eFax (a j2 Communications company) 5-6 years ago, and it has been our company's main telephone number since that time. In late 2008 we renewed the telephone number for another 12 months and paid for the 12 months in advance. Yesterday we received notice that they would no longer support the number and were withdrawing the service with 24 hours notice.

When I called them to ask why they were cancelling they claimed it was a decision by their telco provider to withdraw the service and it was outwith their control. They then directed me to another company called eReceptionist (another j2 Communications company) where they said I would be able to keep the telephone number and transfer it to them. When I pointed out that if I could transfer the number then that number must still under the control of the parent company (j2 Communicaitons) so the decision to withdraw the service was an internal decision. They admitted that it was, but there was nothing they could do about it.

After being a customer for several years with no problems and renewing the contract for another year - with several months still to run - its extremely poor service to provivde 24 hours notice of cancellation. That's bad enough, but we've also spent several years marketing our telephone number to our customers and prospects, and had all our literature and header paper printed with this number, and now all that work will have been wasted as our telephone number is about to stop working because of an internal business decision.

My advice, don't deal with this company. There's too much a stake when they can cancel a contract (and a pre-paid one at that) at any time, and if your business is relying upon the service and your telephone number is widely marketed, you could be wasting a lot of money.

Comments

• Jb
      16th of Feb, 2009

I had the same problem with this service and gave them an immediate call to sort it out. In fairness to them, they admitted that they had made a mistake with this email and they have not cut off the service. They are setting me up on a different service next week, which is more advanced and I'll be able to keep the number. So yes, they did mess up with the email but these things happen from time to time inj large companies.
    If they keep their promise and set me up on the new service, all will be forgiven. Time will tell..

• Mi
      16th of Mar, 2009

We have had the same problem and been given an estimated date of 19th March for when our service will be restored. My main worry is that as this issue has been going on for some time - since end of January - they will not be able to port the number to eRerceptionist as they claim and are just saying this to save face. Only time will tell, yes, but how much longer can we go without our main telephone number after already losing considerable amount of business due to this problem? And will we actually be able to get it back at all?!? I have doubts...

• Gc
      18th of Mar, 2009

Check out www.smartvoice.net. They can get your number for you and give you great service. Without the hassle.