eCost.com / Dishonest sales and scam tactics!

1 500 N. Central Expressway Suite 500Plano, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-877-888-2678

Ecost advertised a Samsung 58" 1080p plasma TV for 2,519. Called to confirm US warranty, new, etc. Had them check warehouse stock to confirm was available (Online said in stock). Processed order. Credit card was reported as would not authorize. Called bank and they said absolutely not, was authorized and card showed $2,700+ on credit hold to ecost. Called back, they said we see no order, etc. Continued to insist they had it in stock, to process it again. Multiple phone calls of escalating intensity, finally people apologize, said not sure why we were told it was in stock. Meanwhile they have a credit hold on $2700 and we can't get a TV elsewhere. Plot thickens, Two days later, they still list it as in stock and after a blistering round with a supervisor, the item now is listed as Temp out, than the price jumps up $900. Now it is clear, they never intended to sell any units at the low price, and just lied to people about availability. They said, just call your credit card company, they will release the money. Does not work like that, there is still a hold 4 days later. Multiple calls, letters. I point out how obvious there scam was by the sudden jump in price. Like a puppet, they change the price back down to the lower price, and say it is IN STOCK again! I call again to "order" the unit, they ask my name, put me on hold, and suddenly the TV is listed as out of stock now! I say they were trying to set up their low ball scam again. Five minutes later, the price is changed again, and they still have our money tied up. I had done business with them before, but clearly they are bottom dwelling scam artists. DO not waste your time or money with them, they clearly have no concern about integrity or customer loyal as I had purchased from them before. Really turned my stomach to see them jump back and forth like idiot puppets to get out of their own way when every thing they did made it more obvious they were dishonest. Go anywhere else. I will be sending a formal complaint to the State Attorney General as I believe this is fraud, and I also believe taking $2700 of money I would have access to and preventing my use of that is a form of theft. Especially when it was done when ecost had no intention of processing the order.

Jeff Hartford MD.

Comments

• Ta
      30th of Jan, 2008

In november I ordered to digital cameras for my daughters from ecost.they were $60 each they arrived timely and in great condition I did not take out and see if they worked. kids opened them up x-mas morning neither one worked I immediatley called the day after x-mas for a refund. They told me I could only get a refund on one because it was already 30 days old. and they gave me a referral # and said for the second one I had to order a new one before I could get a refferal # and packing lables from DHL. So I did cost me another $60, the lables were suppose to be here in 7-10 days. never came I called back the 2nd week of january they said they would send the lables right out, 3-5 days. well it is just about the first of febuary and I sill have the cameras no lables and no response from the company!!Dissatisfied

• Jy
      4th of Feb, 2008

I am having a problem with them right now about the bill they sent me for the items I bought. Instead of charging me the price that was on the website when I bought the items, they are charging me a higher price. I talked to the customer service and according to them the managers might change the price at any time if it is a Bargain Countdown item (says this is clearly stated in their terms and conditions). You might be in the middle of an order and price CAN change before you hit the final order button. So the bottom line is you might hit the 'buy' button thinking the price is $10 and after filling your name, address etc when you hit the final 'order' button, the price might have changed to $1,000!!! I have not checked out their terms and conditions myself but this is definitely good business practice. Its basically defrauding customers!!!

• To
      22nd of Mar, 2008

I purchased an item on 3/12 in the platinum countdown for $8.99 after waiting 8 days I contacted them and I was told order was canceled because the item was out of stock. So I go to platinum sales and what do I see the same exact item now selling for $36.99. No wonder they canceled my order why sell it to someone for $8.99 when you can get $36.99. I know this is not a lot of money but its the principal of the thing. I just found the same item for $27.99 at target. What a scam.

• Ar
      6th of Aug, 2008
    eCost.com - Horrible Service
    ECost.com

One of the worst stores I have ever had to deal with. Product was broken when I got it, and probably fake. Did not have any of the holographic stickers associated with a Motorola product. Tried to return and got the run around. See article for more details: http://www.danielrs.com/2008/08/05/dont-buy-from-ecostcom-ever/

• Pe
      7th of Mar, 2009

I bought a recertified Samsung 24 inch monitor from eCOST.ocm. It arrived with no packing list, l no warranty information, not manual and set up information, and one missing cable. I called them but they said I should complaint to Samsung. I called Samsung and they heoped me to set up the monitor. But they told me that the packing is the responsibibilty of eCOST.com. I called eCOST.ocm back and they say that there's nothing they can do about it. At this time I am referring the situation to my credit company for resolution.
    All I can say is that eCOST is the worst company to do business with and they are running a scam.

• Bi
      1st of Apr, 2009
    eCost.com - No customer service
    ECost.com
    ecost.com

I have NEVER had a more MISERABLE and FRUSTRATING online shopping experience in the 12 years I have been shopping with internet retailers. On March 9, 2009 I ordered a Westinghouse 26' LCD TV from ECost.com. I THOUGHT it was an AMAZING deal so I also bought the Square Trade Extended Warranty as well. When I got the TV and went to set it up I discovered that it had NO base with it for the TV to sit on.

The screws for the base were in the bag with the remote control and the booklet, but NO BASE. I immediately called the Customer Service number. It took several days, a few emails and 2 more phone calls but I received a base in the mail, FINALLY. I was thrilled, I took it out of the box and discovered it was the WRONG BASE and could NOT be used! Once again I called ECost.com and was once again told they would forward my complaint on to a resolution Specialist.

4 days later I get an email stating that I needed to return the ENTIRE TV and repurchase another one. WHAT THE HECK???? ALL I NEEDED was a BASE for my TV. Today was the LAST STRAW for me. I was placed on hold for 15 minutes and then I spoke with someone who CLAIMED to be a supervisor who talked to me like I was a criminal or something. She REFUSED to help me, and told me that I would have to do it THEIR way or NO WAY and I would be stuck with a TV that is balancing on my dresser without a base stand.

I simply can NOT afford to pay for another TV and shipping and allow ECost.com to hold onto over $600 of my hard earned money while I wait to be refunded for the TV without the stand. I have spoken to customer service reps on 5 separate occassions and each time I was treated as if I had done something wrong. I have worked in Customer Service for many years and if I EVER talked to a customer the way I have been talked to I would have been fired immediately.

Apparently they do NOT CARE about their customers OR the crappy products they are selling to consumers!!! This has been a NIGHTMARE, and I intend to blog about this on EVERY, SINGLE consumer rip off and complaint site I can find. I am BEYOND IRATE at this point, and STILL almost a month WITHOUT A RESOLUTION!!!

• Ge
      6th of Apr, 2009

funny thing i ordered an HP Touchsmart iq505 from ecost.com paid $700 or so give or take.. I paid for the computer, recieved it.. was charged etc.. but today to my surprise is a letter from eCost.com asking me to pay the price of the computer "again"? There is this PO Box address that I'm instructed to send my check to? What are they thinking that by some miracle I will pay them again because I have so many millions in my bank that I wouldn't notice $700 missing? lol, Oh I noticed it missing, trust me! I will not send them a check lol. I'm going to find their number somehow and call about this.. funny thing is that on this letter there is no phone # but the enevelope has the eCost.com logo on it!

hmmmmm?
    Gerard Haughey
    New York

• H1
      30th of Apr, 2009

I get these platinum premium newsletters with products showing very low prices. Click on it and log in with my platinum membership. They should regular price instead of the low prices offered in the newsletter.

This a scam to get people to purchase the platinum membership. Every newsletter is like this. All the products are marked regular prices on the site instead of the ones marked in the newsletter.

• Mu
      14th of May, 2009

I just got burned by the ecost scamwagon!! Ordered a 23" samsung monitor and payed through paypal. Monitor showed up packed like crap with the base smacking around inside. I shouldn't have even bothered opening it but I did. The monitor had no cables, no warranty info, and was wrapped in a sheet of thin foam. After taking the foam off I noticed the monitor had fine scratches all around the bezel and had a completely different stand than was pictured on the site. It is basically a different model than what they have pictured. I called thinking oh man they are going to want to hear about this. Boy was I wrong. They initially were acting as though I was out of line for asking for an RA#. Then they told me they would issue an RA# only if I took pictures of the monitor and scratches. UNBELIEVABLE!!! You send me a damaged item that isn't even what I ordered and now I have to send you pictures of the dam thing. Get bent!! Steer clear of this crap company. The negative reviews I'm finding after the fact make me feel like an idiot for ever doing business with them.

• Mu
      14th of May, 2009

They are crooks!!! I am going through something similar. I feel for you. Hang in there.

• Th
      29th of Jun, 2009

e.cost stand for EXTREMLY COSTLY to your Pocket. I Order a Samsung LCD Monitor through E.cost. It arrived 5 dayslater. When I look at the packing box, the Monitor stand sticking out of the box. The box is way too small for packing this monitor. When I open it, they used packing tape to tape some newspaper around the LCD screen I could believe it. There is no power supply ship with it. Luckily Samsung use standard power supply cable. When I hookup the monitor, Half of the left size of the screen distor with 7 different colors. I call E.cost right away about replacement. They said I need to take a picture and send it to them. I did that
    They said" I need to call samsung for the warranteed" I call Samsung, They said" referbish item has no warrenteed what so ever... Right now, I let the Credit card company handling the issue...Maybe this might be the only way, can get through to E.cost .

• Bm
      8th of Dec, 2009
    Ecost.com / Hp Computer - eCost sold me junk and won't help
    Alabama
    ecost.com

I purchased a computer from eCost 11/09. It was advertised with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer (HP). It arrived and didn't work, so I called eCost. Their rep told me eCost wasn't responsible, that I should call HP about my warranty. I called HP and talked to 3 reps, each telling me HP does not offer such warranties. I called eCost back and the rep told me to call HP again. I called HP, talked to 2 more reps, and the last one 3 way called an eCost rep. HP told eCost pretty much that they were advertising warranties knowing that HP didn't offer them, and that it was eCost's responsibility. The eCost rep said they'd contact me within 1 to 2 days to tell me how to send the computer back. They never did, and follow up calls to them have had the same result. Now I've got a computer that doesn't even come on, and eCost has my money. It appears that eCost sells junk products, lies about warranties, and won't help their customers when they have issues that are eCost's fault. STAY AWAY!!

• Bi
      8th of Dec, 2009

Thanks people,

I will be wary of this company and have their emails go straight to junk.

• Co
      11th of Dec, 2009

eCost charges tax on platinum membership. I believe services are untaxable items. I cancelled my membership. I won't trust any company like this.

• Tu
      14th of Dec, 2009

I feel for all of you. I too have been bent over by Ecrooks. I just received email saying my platinum membership was renewed for a year. Haven' t ordered anything in over a year. Last year ordered some Bluetooth headsets for gifts. Received shipment and opened box to check items out. Ordered 3 headsets. Got 2 earpieces and 4 chargers. Called Ecrooks and tried to explain to customer service about shipment and was basically called a liar the first time. Second time I called they wanted pictures emailed to them. Did that. Sent a couple emails but no luck. Forgot about it and low and behold I receive an email from the ### saying that they billed me for my membership again. Called tonight to cancel it but they probably will try to charge me again next year. Did they just start saying it was a recurring charge this year? I don't remember seeing that when I signed up for a year last year. I would never buy from them again. They are nothing but crooks.

• Ha
      1st of Jan, 2010

These guys who run ecost are a bunch of crooks. I bought a laptop from them and since I had issues with it, I requested them to take it back however I was told that I need to deal with the company that manufactured/refurbished it. Once you buy anything from these ### you will be stuck with it, they will not take anything back or give you a refund. This is how businesses are run in third world countries no refund no service attitude and that’s how they run this business. You will never be able to talk to someone who would have decision making power and they will use a lingering tactic on you until you just give up.
    Best thing to do, never buy anything from them, file a formal complaint against them that is what I am going to do, they will have to learn a lesson or else they will continue to run this crooked business.
    By the way, they are owned by a company called PSWEB in Plano, Texas.

Hamid Bahadori

• Om
      28th of Feb, 2010
    eCost.com / Viewsonic N22 TV - I will never use them again
    ecost.com

Beware: I purchased a Viewsonic TV that was defective out of the box. They force you to deal with the manufacturer - hours on the phone, more shipping charges to return to Viewsonic, three week delay for repair and the saga goes on. eCost washed their hands of the transaction - no service - no customer - I will never used them again.

• Gm
      2nd of Mar, 2010
    eCost.com - Not looking to build on going relationships with their customers
    ecost.com

It is obvious that Ecost.com is not looking to build on going relationships with their customers. After being ripped off once by Ecost I can only do my best to educate the public that this is not a store to do business with. I run a global manufacturing company and I always try to keep my customers happy. Ecost.com really does not care to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. I recently purchased a 26" LCD tv on line and I did not know it was reburbished. I was out of town for the month and when I opened the box yesterday I then realized that the tv was reburbished, scratched and had a bad pixel on the screen. When I called Ecost.com they told me they will not take the tv back and that I now have to contact the manufacturer and pay for the return shipping to Westinghouse.

I would have been better off paying the full price at my local Target store and getting a brand new unit. If I had a problem I could have just returned it to Target for exchange. I believe stores like Ecost.com should be reviewed by WCBS TV Shame on You department. Having worked in broadcasting most of my life I may contact a friend to cover this story.

• Ra
      8th of Mar, 2010
    eCost.com - Fraud and Theft
    ecost.com

FRAUD - BEWARE of eCost.com - NO Bargains Here !!!
    I received a TV that was more than 3 years old, discontinued, and in very poor condition. Does not include factory packing, manual, cables, or all parts. eCost has charged over $300 and did not reveal the poor condition of product, lack of original packing and materials, missing parts, and damage to TV stand and encasement.
    I phoned eCost.com upon opening of outer box and examining the contents. I was told by Ed that they were aware that the TV is old, outdated, discontinued and missing packing and parts. I was told that I should expect this of there products. I offered three options for rectification of issue, but all were denied. I offered to have the TV replaced with a newer unit of proper age and condition, in proper working order, and including all factory supplied parts, manuals, cables, and packing - denied by eCost.com. I offered to have some money refunded to me to bring the transaction to a reasonable cost for the product supplied - again denied by eCost.com. I also offered to have eCost pick up the unit at their cost and return for full refund - again denied by eCost.com.
    eCost told me that they would not accept a return, and they do not offer refunds. I could ship it back at my expense, and I would be charged a 20% restocking fee - and eCost.com would then evaluate and decide what to do at that point.
    eCost.com is a company that is practicing theft and fraud. I of course have reported this to my bank.
    BEWARE of eCost.com

• Lu
      9th of Mar, 2010

Once we receive the product in our warehouse, you will be refunded in full. I tracked the return and it shows that you have not given UPS the product. Please note that the label will expire on 3/15/10 (10 days from the original issued date) and cannot be reissued.

We are an authorized reseller of these products. The manufacturer ships them to us and we fulfill our customers orders. eCOST.com does not break the manufacturer seal on any of our products to inspect the items. Refurbished items are not guaranteed to come with all original accessories.

Linda Potter