eBay / very poor customer service and support

This complaint is concerning a lack of responsiveness of eBay to a customer and very poor support.

On December 28, 2017, after taking over ONE hour for a support person to take care of what turned out to be a simple ordering problem, I lost an opportunity to get a discount because the deadline to take advantage of it ended. As a result of the loss of the discount and the very poor service from the support person, I e-mailed them. All I ever received was an automated response. A copy of it is below:

Thank you for writing to eBay Customer Support.

Your question is very important to us and will be treated with our full attention. We understand the need to get your question answered quickly, and in most circumstances we do so within 24 to 36 hours. However, there may be times when it will take up to 72 hours for you to receive a response. To speed up the process, we ask that you do not send in multiple messages about the same issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not respond to this email. Any email sent as a response to this Acknowledgement will not reach us. Should you have another question or would like to send us additional information, please contact us by using our online Contact Customer Support page found at:

We appreciate your patience,

eBay Customer Support

Sounds nice doesn't it? Well, what they said (or actually wrote) is false. Because there was no response to actually resolve the problem, I e-mailed them again after the 72 hours had passed. There still was no response except for the automated response listed above.

After 72 hours elapsed, I decided I would try to call them. That was just a futile exercise. I would get the same man everytime and he wouldn't really listen to me and just transfer me to a line where there was a recording. At one point of time he told me basically that going online and communicating that way was actually speach. Speach? I had enough of typing messages back and forth and wanted to actually speak to someone!

So far, there has been NO response from eBay to resolve my concerns. They obviously are in effect saying---"WE DON"T REALLY CARE."

Va

Comments

• Va
      2nd of Feb, 2007
    ebay - spoiled, greedy, uncaring machine!

I had an account with ebay for 4 years. From 2017 until 2017 I never had a problem with purchasing anything from ebay. When I decided to sell in 2017 thats when I begun to have problems .

Someone decided to keep bidding on my items and not paying for them. Ebay gave me a bunch of bullcrap steps to prevent this from happening but of course none of it worked. I forwarded all the emails and messages the person sent me, ebay agreed that it was the same person who was repeatedly bidding and not paying but refused to help me. I stopped using ebay (with a feedback score of 100% mind you) and of course they suspended my account for non payment of seller fees.

Now a year and a half later, they suspend my sisters account for association (How they knew we were associated is beyond me, but this happened the DAY AFTER someone flagged the sale of one of her items and ebay just canceled the auction. Without giving her the reason why of course. Probably harassment from the same person who was harassing me.). She also has 100% feedback. We don't even live in the same STATE, never mind the same household and haven't for years before we started using ebay (And when we lived in the same state we STILL NEVER lived in the same household). We have offered to send physical proof to show that we are not the same person, to add to the proof that they should ALREADY have on file (bank account information, addresses in different states, names ect.) and all they say is I understand your frustration but theres nothing we can do to help you.

How they are legally allowed to hold someone responsible for someone else's doings is beyond my comprehension. I mean really if my neighbor that I have lunch with every day shoots someone down the block can the cops arrest me because I eat with him everyday? Or if my sister owed $10,000 to her credit card company and I used her card once 5 yrs ago are they allowed to sue ME for her bill? Of course not.
    While I know that these 2 things seem like harsh comparisons, for people who have given up their jobs, their entire LIVES, to sell on ebay and have had such illegal whims pushed upon them and have lost everything, its not.

And you know what else? Half of their "Rules" aren't even in the user agreement, nor can they be found in search. Even the customer service rep couldn't find associations ANYWHERE in the user agreement. What, they get to make up the rules as they go along? They are allowed to wake up on the wrong side of the bed today and just STEAL peoples money and ruin their lives, or just close your account for the fun of it and don't need a legitimate reason?

Maybe we should all band together and start a class action suit against the spoiled, greedy, uncaring machine that is ebay for having unclear rules and regulations and misrepresentation of their site. Maybe if we all start going to the news people like Help Me Howard or writing to people like Montel some of us can get some justice and at the least, prevent it from happening to others.

11th of Jun, 2007
    ebay - ebay does not police their auctions!

I want to make a long story short. I was recently the victim of fraud by a seller on Ebay. I won a photo CD containing reference material on a specific Star Trek studio model. I specifically asked the seller via eBay if any of these photos had been published. He assured me that all the photos came from his camera while he worked on the paramount lot. I paid immediately after winning and waited anxiously for the CD. Of course when it arrived I realized that all photos on the CD were copyrighted by Paramount, and therefore illegal to sell. I asked the seller for a refund of which he refused. I contacted Pay pal to complain and was happy to learn that Pay Pal after a few days refunded my money. I thought that was it until I received a negative from this seller. I promptly contacted eBay to ask for assistance in having the feedback removed as I believed the auction should not have been allowed to transpire in the first place. However, I understand that Ebay does not police their auctions. Ebay refused to remove the feedback stating that even though the actions of the person leaving the feedback may violate eBay policy, the actions are not related to the feedback and do not make the feedback removable. They have failed to make me understand how the sellers actions were not related to the sale. He left me negative feedback because I reported him for fraud. EBay has also removed my particular listing as well. Yet even in doing so, they refuse to remove the feedback. There is no law in existence that prohibits eBay from removing such feedback. The laws in existence protect eBay from refusing to remove feedback if they so wish. I have requested numerous times to speak with someone from eBay to which they refuse. And to date, no one from eBay can explain how feedback left in retaliation for reporting fraud is not considered abuse and not eligible for removal, nor related to a particular sellers actions!!

The message from eBay is quite clear. They are sorry that I have been the victim of fraud (proven by Paramounts legal department), and they are sorry I received the bogus feedback, but they refuse to aid me in it's removal, instead opting to allow this seller to call me a scam artist which in turn questions my integrity.

Obviously there is nothing I can do, and eBay will continue to play stupid. I hope JK Rowling wins her lawsuit and eBay is FORCED to make some changes.

• Lo
      2nd of Jul, 2007

Anthony N.,

I am new to eBay myself, but I have been reading a lot of advice in eBays's Answer Center. Your complaint seems to me to be one of only a few reasons that qualify you to have a negative feedback removed.

If you to the Answer Center on eBay, you will find many experienced buyers and sellers who can give you better advice than I can.

Good Luck.

• Ep
      25th of Jul, 2007
    ebay - ebay protects the guilty!

Shame On ebay!! Yes, they booted selenaqperezfan but now they are playin g censor they claim ebay is a safe place to trade! HA, they allow Buyers to be cheated and scammed and if anyone tries to warn other buyers they remove the warnings.. I posted a blog and a warning on my page I checked with the rules and saw nothing that would keep me from doing so.. I did not mention names or contact info and told my story yet ebay removed bot h pages with no reason why at all.. Ebay knows I'm well off so they removed my second attempt with yet another warning yet they have booted people off their site for a second offense.. that proves they only care about the almighty dollar..Well I have news for ebay I am history and so is my money.. I will do my shopping after I have finished my move and if I can't find what I'm looking for where I'll be moving to then I can do without it..

Please be careful when shopping on ebay also there is a new auction site visit http://www.traderbait.com maybe if ebay starts to lose buyers they will change their policies..remember without the buyers there are no sellers and no sellers no ebay!!

• Pa
      5th of Aug, 2007

I , too have become the victim of wildly fabricated malicious feedback on eBay. NO HELP FROM EBAY! Would love to submit details but this session continues to time out on me.

• El
      6th of Aug, 2007
    ebay - crazy account suspension rules

I just got an email from eBay suspension telling me that they were concerned about their integrity and so on. I am not an often user of eBay so I would understand a suspension for too little usage. But for being a threat or having them concerned about me possibly harming the integrity of the community ? What information are they using ? It is completely crazy and bitter.

Here is a transcript of their mail. Are we enough in number to act in block and complain together ?

Transcript:

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

"Abusing eBay" of the eBay User Agreement states, in part:

"...we may limit, suspend, or terminate our service and user accounts, prohibit access to our website, remove hosted content, and take technical and legal steps to keep users off the Site if we think that they are creating problems, possible legal liabilities, or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies."

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable. eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
    eBay, Inc.

• Lo
      25th of Aug, 2007

I hope you gave them negative feedback too. If they don't want the negative feedback you can both agree to mutually withdraw your negs that you left for each other.

• Bi
      15th of Nov, 2007

I have recently purchased two coins from different sellers. Both items sold for under expected sale price. I never received either item. The first sent me an empty envelope without enough postage for a heavy coin. I was issued an immediate credit but I know the coin was never in the envelope and can prove it. The seller just didnt want to sale at that price.

The second item I purchased Insurance on it and have never received it. Im waiting to see what lame excuse I get this time. This item also sold very cheap.

13th of Apr, 2008
    ebay - Sellers avoid Negative Feedback!!
    www.ebay.com

I recently contacted a "Power Seller" after I had not received a $175. crystal wall light after 3 weeks and no communication. The Seller e-mailed me that the item was back-ordered for 2 months. I replied that I could not wait for 2 months and asked to cancel the sale.

Rather than complete a mutual withdrawal, this Seller refunded my payment, marked the "Pay Now" button (indicating that I had never paid for the item), then opened a non-payment, mutual withdraw Dispute. Why? To avoid Negative Feedback and possible Seller suspension when he could not produce the item which had been paid for!

I was unable to leave (negative) feedback because the item shows (dishonestly, that no payment was made).

I filed a Dispute for Non-receipt of item in which there was a reference to the payment transaction number.

22nd of Apr, 2008
    ebay - beware
    eBay
    www.ebay.com

eBay is about to start penalizing all Sellers... and making you a 2nd class citizen...

How? Allowing ONLY Buyers to leave a Negative feedback... for anything at all their little heart desires... eBay has been dredging for new Buyers to boost their stock prices, and they don't give a tinker's *** about Sellers at all anymore...

Bad check? Seller can't complain - gets screwed... Late pay? Seller's screwed... Wrong form of payment? Seller is screwed... Delays? You're screwed... ANYTHING a Buyer wants to *** about - Seller has NO ammunition anymore... The Seller can NOT leave Negative feedbacks!!

NO MATTER WHAT the Buyer does, ONLY the Buyer is allowed to leave Negatives. And any Seller who gets a Negative? Has to beg the ###s-that-be at eBay to pretty please take away the bad bad feedback...

To make things worse, it doesn't matter that eBay is FAILING THEIR SELLER / CUSTOMERS by failing to forward messages to their e-mails! The Msg system that's supposed to eliminate problems now CREATES them because reminders are disappearing into the ether somewhere... and eBay doesn't give a rat's ***...

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, eBay's PAYPAL affiliate is failing Sellers, too ! When you SHIP something, you put in the USPS tracking info for the Buyer to read, too. But guess what???

PayPal's link to USPS has NOT FUNCTIONED AT ALL for at least 2 months, and nothing has been done to correct it despite repeated reports...

So what does the Buyer see on PayPal when they click on the link to see where their item is? NO RECORD OF THIS ITEM (even though it has been shipped, scanned and may even already have been delivered!!)

And guess what else? Now they file a complaint, and then you get a NEGATIVE Feedback on eBay...

And then eBay restricts or closes your account ! WHO'S TO BLAME? eBay themselves...

But YOU - MR. SELLER - the same one who works to build eBay's system, pays extra to maintain Stores, takes 2ND BILLING on your items, who patiently deals with every lowlife buyer sucked in by eBay promotions - YOU get billed, YOU get slapped, Your Feedback is hammered - You're SCREWED...

• Ka
      22nd of Apr, 2008

And its gunna get worse. ebay.com.au is the test site for their newest trick. Within a few weeks in most cases ebayAU customers and sellers will have no choice to transact their bussiness thru PayPal thus gaining ebay another few percent on every sale. Don't think it won't happen in your parts of the world soon. AU is just a trial run, they have said as much. Of cause its all to "protect our valued clients from fraud" yeah, right.

Carl

28th of Apr, 2008

I got the same exact message. eBay abuse. Whats that? You get a form letter telling you to read the user agreement. That tells you nothing. Safety and Integrity? I've NEVER had any problem with any buyers. They need to explain themselves and they won't. What was worse is that they changed the reason for my suspension. First it was due to Paypal "issues", yeah the issue was that PayPal was demanding my Social Secuirty number and my bank account info! For What? They claim to verify my identity. What for? I had been selling for awhile with zero problems. No complaints what-so-ever. No all of a sudden they want personal info. I dont think so. And any issue I have with PayPal should have nothing to do with eBay, well yes I guess it does as eBay OWNS PayPal! I took them to court and won. make them pay for their mistakes, they have billions, make them spread the joy. If enough people make them pay then maybe, just maybe they will change their ways. Either that or maybe someone else will start a similar auction site.

• Pa
      30th of Apr, 2008

I totally sympathize with you.

This is another story of how EBay protects bad sellers.

Auction-genie-inc is the mother of all EBay a**es. I bought 4 items from him. He knew he had provided me with a lousy service and that EBay was about to change the rules (seller will no longer be able to leave negs.) So, fearing that I would leave negatives and he would no longer be able to retaliate, he blackmailed me: either you leave 4 positives or I'll leave 4 negatives before they change the rules and then you'll be forced to go to mutual feedback removal. I'm not going to do that, I won't be blackmailed by this guy, but I'll spread this story as fast as I can. Obviously I have already reported him to EBay (the idiot blackmailed me using the EBay system) but they didn't do anything about it. Nobody should buy anything from auction-genie-inc of Little Falls NJ and no one should trust them to sell stuff on EBay. I'm going even further, no one should buy anything from EBay, period. I'm done with them, this is the last straw.

As I understand, I'm not the only buyer who had to suffer this.

And yes, I'm in favor of the new system. I hope it'll put sellers like Auction-genie-inc out of business.

6th of May, 2008
    ebay - I am sick of this
    www.ebay.com

Is it just me or has the number of bid withdrawals or cancellations increased lately. In 1 month I have had 5 sellers screw me. How? Bid on items or buy it now and the sellers either cancel them or just don't answer my questions to get a correct invoice so I can pay. Have made official complaints to Ebay and they are allowing this. Two of the sellers re-listed the items with a higher price. Are you kidding me? I buy a lot and I mean a lot from Ebay but this is getting ridiculous. I am sick of this. Are there any other great auctions sites out there with great prices like Ebays? Good luck if you stay with them.

15th of May, 2008
    ebay - ebay suspends my account
    www.ebay.com

I have been an ebay member going on 9 years with over 3000 feedbacks, a 99.6% rating. My products consisted of custom decals. About 4 weeks ago I get this notice from ebay that my account is suspended due to using the name 'FORD' as one of my keywords and that they shut all my auctions down.

Well, those auctions that they claimed that they shut down had already expired 1 month prior to this. I may have had 1-3 auctions running at this time for some products not even associated with the products I had been selling. I guess you can't use the name 'FORD' as a keyword unless you are selling a product specifically for that manufactures equipment or something like that.

I email ebay and ask them why, after 4 weeks after the auctions have expired is my account shut down. I don't get an honest answer only that I need to send in some personal information after the 7 day suspension period and they will determine if my account will be re-instated or not.

What's frustrating about this is I know of another ebay member selling almost the identical products I use to and are getting by with using the word 'FORD' as one of their keywords, but they are a power seller so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. Anyway, I started turning this other members auctions into ebay thru the proper channels using eBay’s official complaint forms and I did get responses from ebay that they received my emails.

I later get emails back from ebay stating they (ebay) do not see anything improper with the other members auctions and they let them continue to sell to this day. I continued on a daily basis reporting these auctions to ebay and continue to get the same response from ebay.

In my opinion, this is total discrimination against me. Why is it I get my account shut down, with no warning, even after the auctions have expired 4 weeks prior, yet this other member continues to be allowed to sell on ebay using 'FORD' as a keyword.

The members products who is allowed to continue selling on ebay, are in no way associated with a 'FORD' manufactured product, they just use the word 'FORD' as a keyword to attract customers, basically the same thing I USE to do.

31st of Jul, 2008

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. I HAVE GOTTEN NO EXPLAINATION OR RESPONSE AAS TO WHY THE COMPETITION CAN LIST 111 ITEMS WITH THE SAME LOGO I WAS CANCELLED AND SHUT DOWN FOR JUST TRYING TO LIST. WE ACTUALLY GET THE ITEMS FROM THE SAME WHOLESELLER! IMAGINE THAT. I THINK THEY ARE AFFILIATED WITH EBAY STAFF OR MAYBE ARE PAYIING THEM OFF. FAR FETCHED? WHY ELSE WOULD THEY BE ALLOWED TO DO SO. WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE?

27th of Aug, 2008
    ebay - useless support
    ebay.com

I've tried for 2 weeks to resolve a problem, ripoffs by sellers on ebay, customer support is nonexistent. I contacted 3 times, I bought a cd that was supposed to have software, it was blank. I paid $15.94.

1st of Sep, 2008
    ebay - scammers
    ebay.com

Ebay is a unreliable company that does not back their products instead they pass the buck you will not get you’re money back and they will not send you you’re product instead you get sorry we cant help your money is lost then they tell you if you would like to get your money back you can do the leg work your self like you want to do this when you already contacted them in the first place when you try to contact the people that ebay is working with they cant find the order or your email you don’t exist contact ebay back they still say sorry so your money is gone this gives you a felling that you have just been ripped off.

• St
      2nd of Sep, 2008
    ebay - ticket scam
    EBAY
    Leeds
    England, West Yorkshire
    United Kingdom
    Phone: 01132644635

"2 Tickets for Leeds festival bought on ebay, found to be a scam. The user, stephen090500 scammed at least 10 people, all of whom (including myself) have complained to paypal. Though the individual disputes with paypal are void, due to them being for items bought more than 45 days ago, their terms and conditions state if multiple disputes are opened, paypal may launch an inquiry up to 180 days after the purchase.
    Thus far, it has been intensely difficult not only to get them to start an investigation but also to acknowledge that more than one person has even contacted them over this seller.

I lost £450.99, which i paid for two tickets. Others have been unlucky enough to buy more than 2 tickets, with one person being more than £1000 out of pocket!
    Details about the numerous people scammed can be seen on this forum;

• St
      26th of Sep, 2008

I know me personally I would have taken the same action he took, in order to receive credits from eBay. If he wouldn't have done that he still would have to pay FeeBay their $20 bucks in the end.