Drive Time / Scam and cheating!

Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:
4.65

My advice to anyone considering Drive Time... NEVER, EVER be late... not even one day!!! I had an unfortunate circumstance where I had to go out of state for a funeral-my aunt passed away. Honestly, my finances are tight. My payment was due right before I left. I called and told them I would be a day late, and got a lecture. The day that I was supposed to go in and pay, I found out that my aunt passed away. I stuffed some things into a suitcase, got the neighbor to watch the animals, and off I went on a 14 hour road trip. I used my payment money to get to the funeral.

I got back into town, and the repo guy had been calling the clubhouse manager of the condos where I live, wanting to take the truck. I called him back, and he told me he wasn't allowed to accept payment, that they wanted the truck back. This was the first payment I had been late on-so I called the dealership.They told me to come up and talk to one of the 'managers'-and told me they wanted the truck.

I went to talk to this manager-she was in a closed door meeting at the time with another employee. They were in a glass office-the cashier called her and told her I was there to see her-she took almost an hour to get to me. The two ladies in the glass office kept staring at me, one with dirty looks. Then they emerged, and the lady I talked with went to her manager, or that's who he claimed to be.

To make a long story short, they told me that I may not be able to keep my truck, even though I guaranteed the one late payment and the next one that was due. This is the kicker:

THEY ARE DEMANDING DOCUMENTATION THAT MY AUNT DIED... Like I'm some wayward infant. They completely humiliated me. I kept explaining my situation, and they are still telling me that they can't guarantee I can keep the truck. I think they believe that just because my credit is subprime, I deserve to be humiliated and treated like a 2-year old. I felt like a scolded child who was completely helpless while the two 'managers' sat there and browbeated me for 30 minutes. It was all I could do not to bust out crying.

They didn't seem at all satisfied until I told them that if I ever had to make that choice again, I would not go to a funeral of a close one. Instead, I would make that payment-the hell with my family. They are telling me it is up to corporate to determine if I can keep the vehicle. When I talked to corporate yesterday, they told me that it is up to the dealership. I am being given 24 hours to produce whatever documentation they deem necessary to prove my aunt died. I wonder if they can exhume my aunt's body and get the DNA??? Wonder if that's what they'll ask for next...

I've been lucky-the vehicle I bought is actually in good condition and very nice. From what I've heard, not everyone has been lucky. Most of us go to this type of dealership for the same reason-our credit is messed up. They need to learn to treat people with dignity. I really can't believe that they are making me go through all of this. I'm ready to just tell them to come get the truck, rather than having to endure another verbal spanking from anyone at that dealership who thinks it is necessary.
Va

Comments

Ni
  25th of Jan, 2009
Yes these people are @-holes. Same here, money's tight sometimes and it's either help your family or pay your car. You try to explain and get a lecture AND what makes me angry the most are the calls WHILE you're at work. Some people can't answer their phones cause their working. And if I don't call them right back instead of calling my husband who of course lives with me they call and harass my family and friends. I'm active duty military therefore all my friends and family live all over the states so why call them. As if they have a better chance of getting to me. Ridiculous!!! If I would have known how ###ed this company was I wouldn't have bought my car from them.
Ro
  18th of Mar, 2009
I am so fed up with their tactics, that I will be reporting them to the Clearwater Better Business Bureau, and calling the corporate office to file another complaint! One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with in my life!
Ma
  13th of Apr, 2009
I drive more than 50 miles because someone from drivetime call me telling me that i was approved for a loan, so I ask like 3 or 4 times, I am aproved? or pre-aproved? because i can't drive 50 miles, lost time and money .she told me oh, no! you are approved just go and choice the car that you want!!. I go in the morning next day, and the men told me that is only like 15 minutes so I can know if I am approved or what? I tell him about my approval call, and he said, no problem! just wait here, another person tell me that I have to pay 5000 dlls down payment, when the lady that call me by phone told me that was only like 500 to 1300 dlls. My husband ask him what if I have a cosigner with excellent credit(his dad) how much down payment I need to pay? And he said is like 4000 to 3000 dlls, for a used car!!! When we go to a local dealer from my town, he told my husband that with the cosigner with excellent credit is 0 down!! zeroooo!! for a new truck!!
Pr
  18th of Apr, 2009
I had bought a car in Sept. 2002 from drivetime. This was my 2nd vehicle purchased from them, with the 1st one being paid off.
Well something unfortunate happened, and my husband was injured on his job. He had to have surgery, and as anyone should know workers comp doesn't pay squat. We tried working out some deal with drivetime of paying weekly versus paying bi weekly, because it would have been easier for us. They would not agree to it, even though they could if they wanted too since they have in house financing.
We ended up losing the car in Oct 2003, because we didn't realize that he would only make $300 a week on workers comp.
We tried to work out some payment agreement with their collections dept. in Arizona. They either wanted around $8, 000 at once, or nothing at all. I didn't have no $8, 000.
Here it is 6 yrs later and now they have some bill collector sending us threatening letters, and now they have gone to court to put a lien on my used car which I paid cash for. It is the only thing I own. My husband is now laid off from his HVAC job due to this economy and these people are jerk offs. They 1st send us a letter demanding that we turn over these things
1) Checking account routing # and checking acct #
2)W2's for the past 3 yr's
3)weekly paystubs mailed to them
4)names, phone numbers and addresses of all of our friends
How this is even remotely legal, who knows.
They are located in Metter Ga, Sherrod P Robin AKA Nemdegelt.
BEWARE OF THESE PEOPLE, BECAUSE THEY ARE RUTHLESS TO THE CORE. THEY WILL LITERALLY TRY TO TAKE THE SHIRT OFF OF YOUR BACK WHEN IT IS ALMOST TIME FOR THE REPO TO COME OFF OF YOUR CREDIT.
If anyone knows where I can file a complaint about these people please e-mail me at TandP678@aol.com
I'd appreciate it a lot.
Up
  24th of Apr, 2009
I agree I was in the military and coming off active duty they didnt treat me any diffrent. There is a big diffreance in pay coming off active duty because I am a disable vet and not able to work full time due to doctors orders and they are not willing to work with you at all. They constantly call me at home at work It is getting to the point where Im ready to tell the come get the car thats a good way to treat you vets drive time shame on you.
Pi
  28th of Apr, 2009
To all the ppl Drivetime has affected,

Take a look at these websites:

Carmax has just filed a major lawsuit on Drivetime because of their business practices. This is very likely going to put them out of business! I am an ex employee of 4 yrs and know first hand that they don't have a leg to stand on. This will most likely be the end of the choas. Just thought that would make the day of alot of ppl out there.

~Ex DT Employee
Atl, Ga
  3rd of May, 2009
Hello everybody this should not be allowed to continue!! If we get enough people together we could try to file a class suit against Drive Time - - yes they advertise their approve, approve, approve policy, but look what they have done to some of these customers. $4, 000 down that is ridiculous!!! Their are laws and procedures concerning repossession.
  3rd of May, 2009
Spelling correction: There are laws and procedures concerning repossession.
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Punitive damages in large class action lawsuits can be particularly high, when it is demonstrated the company has shown great disregard for the health, safety or (emotional) well being of the plaintiffs.

However, your creditor's right to repossess your car is subject to some limitations. In particular, state law places limits on how your creditor may repossess the vehicle and resell it to reduce or eliminate your debt. If any rules are violated, your creditor may lose other rights against you, or even be required to pay you damages. For further information about the rights discussed generally below, and about your state's specific repossession requirements, contact your state consumer protection agency or your private attorney
  3rd of May, 2009
I am keeping my cell phone bills as proof that someone has called me as many as eight times a day, regardless of the time. Fortunately I have paid my car down, according to what my history report states, who knows what number they will come up with when I think I am making my last payment. I request a history report every two payments; they have to give you one listing your principal, late fees, interest and payments. It is also good to have on hand for legal purposes.

When I changed jobs and my pay periods went from 2 to 3 times a month to only 2 times a month, I brought in a calendar of my pay periods. They then called me asking about a 3rd payment for the month. When I referred to my new pay schedule they told me it wouldn't take effect until the beginning of the following month. They lied, it never took effect!!! They just wanted my money, then when the next three pay period month came along they once again expected me to pay three times instead of the two times I had requested.

If need be, Washington will be hearing from me soon. If a company is allowed to do this under current law, then the law should be changed!
St
  20th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Well, that is what happens when you owe people money. Don't be late with your payment.
Ge
  2nd of Jul, 2009
I recently purchased a car thru Drive Time...the worse thing I could've done! Like many others my credit is HIT, so this was a good option for me. Now I'm up to my 2nd pymt, and my father died! yes, my father, so naturally my family situation would come first. I called them to tell them that I could make a double pymt in 10 days when i get my next paycheck..they didn't want to hear it. She said I was a high risk customer now since the loan is new and they could do nothing for me. Mind you I am still emplyeed, and offered post dated checks, my debit card #, anything just to keep my car for another week!! They are telling me to bring the car back and being extrememly rude and uncooperative. I know my family situation isn't their problem, but have a heart or make an exception. Especially when I'm offering all sorts of alternate options. I would like to talk to corporate, but I'm unsure where to start...any help would be appreciated

Thx
George
Atlanta, GA
La
  10th of Jul, 2009
I agree with all the others before me, Drive Time is a rip-off its unfortunate that bad things sometimes happen to good people. There customer service is aweful. They do not care if you have death in your family or any other emergency, they will harass you, family and friends and even your job if they dont get the payment the same day its due. When I purchase my car I experience problems and I had to go to the Better Business Bureau in order to get something done. I am in the process of finding a lawyer here in Ga to see what can be done about the harassing phones on my job and being threaten by this company.
I pray everyday that the state and federal levels will disolve this company for good and hopefully they will see that these companies will no longer be able to operate business this way.

Lafaye
Fairburn Ga
  20th of Jul, 2009
Please, Please all of you that are dealing with this company send your complaints to the Federal Consumer Protection Agency. You can use the reference number: 227-27-1226.
  20th of Jul, 2009
Here is the link for federal consumer complaints;

Kf
  29th of Jul, 2009
I am at work at this moment and i have been late on my payment this 1st time after a yr. 10 days as of today and they have called me everyday telling me things like you shouldnt have got the damn car if you couldnt afford it or go barrow some money to pay it i get paid on friday and told them i will make complete paments they told me they could not wait they needed it now.. they called me at work today and 3 times on my cell leaving me messages that i cant believe there allowed to leave it is so unperfitional... to be talk to that way and if i dont answer my phone they will call everyone on my ref. My reason is my step daughter was in the hospital for meningitis and on top of all my dad got sick and i had to go to new mexico i explained the reason and they repeatedly told my they could care less.. I have about had it. if anyone has any info how to complain on this please email me at kristinafrausto@yahoo.com Thank you!
Xr
  10th of Aug, 2009
I agree completely! It is great that the organization is available to help those that have poor credit, but the suffering you must endure when only one day, yes one day late is appalling. Not to mention the calls your 20 references you gave them receive as well that same day. Shame on you Drivetime!
Aj
  26th of Aug, 2009
Drive time sucks ! I know they are people that they don't say no. The reason they don't say no is because they slap you with a HUGE interest rate. Your paying as much for your old old car as you would a brand new one. Even if your a day late or two they blow up your phone, and they call all your references. I told drive time to stop calling my dad because he had cancer. I even told them that he passed away, and guess what they still kept calling his phone. My step mom was so upset that my dads phone was going off because of this damn car company. Im going to pay off my car and NEVER do business with them again. They don't want to work with you even when everyone knows that the economy is horrible. If I wasn't so worried about my credit, i'd drop off the car to them and tell them to shove it up there a@@. I will NEVER do business with drive time again!
Ct
  29th of Sep, 2009
Threatens customers, harrassing calls, Bad people skills. They don't care about anything except $$$. Don't deal with DriveTime
Ca
  29th of Sep, 2009
I agree with the complaints posted. I've been waiting for my $15 may 2008 deferment to go threw. It hasn't gone threw yet and todays date is September 2009. Over a year. I have a signed receipt from Leo in the N Florida av store in Tampa fl. I've received 438 harrassing calls since may 2008. I have faxed ( with fax receipt ) copy 6 times since may 2008. They tell me they can't get the deferment threw in time being the same day. It appears they stole my $15. I have checked with an Attorney and I have a good case for fraud. My payments are up to date legally. They will call everyone on your contact list. Don't bother calling the corporate office, they don't care either. I will never buy there again and I'll steer people away from DriveTime. Not nice people. Carl. T. Florida

DriveTime Automotive Group Logo DriveTime Automotive Group