Double Day Book Club / Fraud

IN, United States Review updated:

I pulled my Credit Report today to find 2 charged off accounts on Trans Union from the Double Day book club. They were both with seperate collection agencies. After about 2 hours of researching and nonsense I call the Double Day Book Club to get told, "Yeah it was probably fraud- it happens all the time with us" I told the gal that I have never ordered from a book club, I didn't in 2003- in which she had my address from and she said "You probably didn't I hear this all the time but there is nothing we can do, you can give me your address and I can have someone contact you." Now- do you honestly think I am going to give the Double Day book club my current address so they can sign me up again? So now I have to file to try to get this off of my credit and Double Day could care less!

Comments

• Di
      7th of Apr, 2010

hmmm strange how it ended up on your report. Usually they need a social security number to do that otherwise they can't prove who actually got the books.

• Cz
    Double Day Book Club - incorrect answer to email inquiry
    Doubleday Book Club
    Madison
    Alabama

I specifically sent an email inquiring if Nora Robert book packs costing over $10. counted towards my obligation. I received the reply below. The pack I bought was 2 books for 19.99 plus shipping and handling - nothing in the details or description of the book pack indicated that it did not apply to my obligation. However, upon receivieng the books, I am still showing an obligation. Basically it doesn't seem to matter what you do, even if you specifically ask, they don't have to provide accurate or correct infomation!!!

I asked: (cut and pasted from the email) - Do multi-book sets over $10. (like Nora Roberts sets) count towards the
    purchase agreement?

I recieved back: (cut and pasted from the email) Dear Member,

Thank you for contacting us to assist in your understanding of the types
    of purchases that count toward your purchase agreement.

Featured Selections and club-priced selections of at least $9.99 do
    count toward your purchase agreement. Sale books may not count, so
    please refer to the specific sale offer details to verify. Non-book
    items such as music, video, and merchandise products may not count
    toward the purchase agreement.

To further clarify, a return of any qualifying selection will reduce
    your number of accumulated purchases toward your purchase agreement.

For your convenience, you may view your current purchase commitment
    status by clicking on the "Account" icon located below our website
    navigation bar.

If we may be of further service, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• Tl
    Double Day Book Club - No Account/Now on my credit report
    Double Day Book Club

I have recently checked my credit report (12-31-11) and have found that I am 90 days past due on an account that I have never opened...I am finding more and more companys that enroll you into there business without your permission and are getting away with it, what can we as the consumer do to stand up to this ...Now I have to go through the hassel to clean up my report. I buy straight off the shelve at the store...seemed to be the safest but has still turned my life upside down...This company dosen't list a contact phone number (can't imagine why) but I have found a number for those of you that have also been ripped off...1-516-490-4550 or 1-717-697-0311

• Ps
    Double Day Book Club - unfair charges
    South Carolina
    Phone: 843-735-4689

I did accounts with both Childrens BOMC and Double Day BOMC and eveytime I make a payment I noticed things were not right. They charge me for books I did not order and for charges for books I have not recieved. The fulfillment always changes and seems to never end. The invoice under the website is not right either. You will see charges and no books listed for those charges. I had paid one and did so over the phone and told the CSR to cancel the account, she said she is doing that now and next thing I know I get another bill and no idea what for.

• Ac
    Double Day Book Club - Unpaid bill

I have received countless phone calls from the National Recovery Agency telling me that I purchased books from Double Day Book Club in 2008, and that if I don't pay $90 that I owe for the books, then my name will be placed on the "bad credit list" for 7-10 years. They have an address on file that I was not living at in 2008, and I honestly do not recognize the book club's name or books they claim I have purchased.

I refuse to pay the $90 because I think this is a fraudulent company, and I don't want to be scammed.