Dog Ear Publishingdawg gone

I purchased Google ad service. Over 625 clicks went directly from interested parties to my web site (this company had created) at Dog Ear and only resulted in one book sale. That one sale cost me over $500. Hey, I thought I was supposed to be making money? Advice for the novice: don't get linked up with any P.O.D. company that doesn't use a third party pay source that will give you an accounting of how much they took in. Why? You'll never know just how much of your product they actually sold and how much (of your money) they actually kept. In my situation I was trusting them to be honest...don't get fooled like I did. These guys have numerous BBB complaints.

Comments

Oct 10, 2009

I just experienced the same thing with them - I waited FOREVER for my quarterly report - within that quarter, I had 2 booksignings, and I know that hundreds have been sold for those, as well as it selling out in stores across the states - and libraries are carrying it----and what did they tell me I sold? 3!!! 3 books!! Not only do I feel cheated with the money end of it - but more importantly, they are stealing my success from me and hindering my ability to obtain a traditional publisher. I left a message for them as well as a blasting email - and while I wait for them to respond, I have to contact the bookstores and try to get order numbers from them...unbelievable that I trusted a company like this---I'm furious at them because this is not their book, it's mine. I paid for it to be professionally edited prior to going into their hands, I designed the cover, I did all the work - and I even designed it so that I make the least amount...and this is what they do. I'll repost when this gets straightened out, because part of me is still holding out a thread of hope that they've just made some grave error and will rectify it.

• Ci
      Oct 05, 2018

@sadauthor Today is 10/5/18. For the months of July, August, and September, the number of sales for my book still have not been posted. It's the 21st century. Do you mean McDonald's can tell me how many hamburgers they sold nationwide yesterday, but I have to wait over 3 months (a quarter of a year) to find out how many I've sold? I haven't received a check in 6 months. I know I've had sales. I've e-mailed and called the owner 3 times. No response. They just don't give a damn. My book has been out 4 years now with over 500 on-line sales, plus I've purchased over 600 directly for book signings. I can't imagine how they treat other publishers with less success. I'm ready to go a governmental body to have them investigated.

• Wi
      Nov 25, 2010

I've encountered the same problem with them. The owners speak rudely, don't return calls or e-mails. From my experience with them they are in the business of making money off other folk's dream. STAY AWAY!

• Bu
      Aug 31, 2011
    Best Best Advice

wow. now i'm scared. i was looking for a publisher and stumbled upon Dogear online, but now i will stay far, far away. thanks for the heads up.

• Ci
      Oct 05, 2018

@Bunny84 You should be!

Jun 20, 2012

Hi, my name is Ann and I’m a new out of the closet writer that finds your topic very interesting! I actually created a blog reviewing some of the popular Self-Publishing Companies. You should take a look at my site at anonymousann.blogspot.com. You might find some interesting information on my site. If you wish to add anything that is currently not there please feel free to do so. I’m still researching on some of the companies listed and I should have a complete list by end of the month. Thank you and enjoy!

• Ad
      Sep 10, 2012

Dog Ear Publishing is based on lie and hides behind mistakes! Not only they ignore you as their customers, they also know how to go around Copy Right laws. I do not recommend this Publisher at all.
    Once you pay for their service, everything will change. You will get your phone calls returned! If you do not want something to be added or taken out good luck, they pretty much do what it pleases them under the excuse that they know better and have been in the business much longer than you!
    There for they target first time Authors and are good with their sales speeches! You will be better off to do it all yourself in a local print shop, with a much better end result with the color, designs, and much more.
    This Dog Ear publishing also claims and has their own style to make their claim look real, that you will receive full amount of the sales. This is a deceiving joke!

Mar 25, 2013

I'm the sadauthor from the top of the page. I promoted my book & got it into stores, including Wal-Mart. I eventually gave up fighting with dog ear just because it wasn't healthy & it was draining me to the point where I couldn't focus on anything else. I figured that since I make so little on the book in the first place, the only thing that mattered was that people were reading it. I've since loaded my book and 9 others onliy kindle and have done very well. However, I just received notification that dogear has been selling my book on nook and sony for years without my consent or knowledge for three times the price I charge on kindle. So I had to take my book off of the kdp select, and I've yet to hear back from dogear. I'm tired of being ripped off by these people. Writing is the easy part. And you think the hardest part is promoting it, but it's not. It's dealing with slimy people like them. And I already know by the other complaints on the internet, that even when you pull YOUR book from them that YOU have the rights to; they continue to sell it. Funny when you first google dogear, you get dog ear infections...kinda what it's like dealing with them. Except they're like the flesh eating disease that just keeps going...

• Ia
      Apr 20, 2015

It is important to all novice authors that these scams be posted and posted again. This sounds just like another Author Solutions scam and it would not surprise me if Dogear is a new addition to the stable. Author House, Xlibris, I.Universe, Partridge, Balboa, Hay House and a few others are all part of the same scam on unsuspecting first time authors... Stay well away if you don't want to be burned. Investigate Createspace and Kindle Direct Publishing. If necessary find someone who will help you to get your book up there, but DO NOT pay anyone a dime until you see the results of their "help". In other words, if you choose to get help publishing your book on Createspace or KDP, work with that service until your book is open on the net to your satisfaction and only then pay their fee. If you follow the prompts correctly you should be able to do it without help... When you are asked for money up front for a job over which you have no control, take your manuscript and RUN... These scamsters understand the psychology of novice authors (the dream of being published and being a famous author) and they stroke that ego to their fullest advantage and will gleefully take your money and leave you with nothing but shattered dreams. They are ruthless and unscrupulous. BE WARE... BE VERY AWARE.

• Se
      Nov 29, 2015

While I totally agree that Dog Ear and Xlibris, and Author Solutions and all the others are total scams, you should know that when they tell you your book is "available to stores, that doesn't mean it's actually in stores. It just means if someone walked in and asked for it at the counter they could order it in. A lot of people get tricked by that and think their book is instores. Also one guy said he got a store to stock it (it's very very unusual that stores will want to stock any vanity published book on their shelves.) But anyway even if it is on the shelf that doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it. These vanity publisher make their money from you the WANNABE. AUTHOR. They don't CARE ABOUT SELLING YOUR BOOKS AT ALL. Because they already go their money. FROM YOU. So they do nothing to help the books sell. Traditionally published authors find it hard to sell books so your book is probably NOT selling.

• Te
      Feb 11, 2016

I published my first book with Publish America aka. AmericaStar Books. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN!! I know for a fact that I have sold books, yet have been told year after year that I have NO SALES!! My second book I went with CreateSpace and have been very happy with them. Since publishing traditionally is almost impossible, and I refuse to pay for an over priced, under performing agent, I will never get rich, but just knowing that I have been published is something I feel good about. As soon as my contract is up with them I am going to tweek, raname and republish with Create Space.

• Lo
      Aug 03, 2016

I am searching and doing my research before i choose a publisher. Do any of you have any good experience with any publishing companies? I am ready to contact a publisher but at this point after reading so many reviews i am discouraged. so if anyone have any positive experience, please share.

• Ji
      Oct 13, 2016

Dog Ear Publishing does not perform as they advertise. I ghost wrote a book for my brother which we published through Dog Ear. Weeks after it was out, copies purchased and shipped to my brother, and the listing on Amazon, it was still showing as out of stock on Amazon. it is now approaching two months with the same situation. When I complained, the condescending message began: "A big part of our business involves educating our clients on the complexities of publishing and helping them confront challenges if ones arise. Your emails, this one and your previous, provide a good opportunity to direct your discontent where it belongs –Amazon. No buck-passing here; ..." followed by a lot of buck passing. I trust, Amazon's business acumen far more and can absolutely advise authors to stay away from Dog Ear.

By the way, in the same email was the proverbial legal scare tactic: "All this said, I hope any reviews are directed appropriately and avoid libelous/defamatory speak." As you can see by this review comment, their veiled threat doesn't scare me.

• Da
      Sep 27, 2017

Does anyone have a lawsuit against dog ear? I'm looking for an attorney.

• Co
      Apr 09, 2019

@damn damn shame Me too!!!

• Ge
      May 07, 2018

I googled up the title of my book and (surprise, surprise) I found that it is available in French and German. Who is listed as the publisher? Dogear. I fired them 8 years ago!!! My work was transferred to another POD, Infinity. How many books sold? God only knows...and he isn't saying. Unless there is a 3rd party involved that keep audit/accounting records, bend over and get a big tube of K-Y jelly and prepare to be...Older and sadder

• Mj
      Jul 11, 2018

@Geronimo7 I recommend Outskirts Publishing, they are rated number 1. They communicate well over the phone and by email and told me to take my time on the manuscript since I am revising it slightly. They also send out emails all the time for free services like a custom book cover or help writing the synopsis and biography when it goes to publishing. Although I have not yet submitted my manuscript, so far they have been awesome and again, they are rated number 1 in self publishing.

Keep a look out for my book, hopefully by Christmas! I don't want to give away the title but my last name is Jalbert! Good luck all, this is an important time in all our lives. My writing has been my dream since High School and I have been approached by so many publishers. Authorhouse being one of the worst. So many publishing companies fall under that umbrella so beware. Do a google search and see for yourself.
    Good luck all!

Oct 09, 2018

They list an address in Indianapolis. so they may well be another hidden outlet of Authors Solutions. This whole industry rests on dubious ethical ground. They are extra friendly and helpful BEFORE you pay but they switch to a different style after you do. I am clearly a Vanity fiction Author who just wanted to preserve my books after my death but I know the truth: most self published books are of very poor quality and they rarely sell beyond the family and close friends circle. Yet most authors believe that they are gifted writers who found it impossible to be considered by an agent or editorial and that the vanity industry provides a serious second chance of being recognized and even become a professional writer. They show you examples, critiques at the NYT, prices won, ... The cases are mostly true but you might as well tell the authors that they could win the lottery, which is easier. But once you have paid $2000 or more, the house continues to offer addition services that would increase the chances of success. Just a little extra payment and your chances grow. Never forget that the vanity publishers do not make money out of selling books, only OUT OF YOU, the naïve writers.

Apr 01, 2019

Sadly, I have to add my name to those who've been the victims of Dog Ear's unethical practices.

A while after my book was published, it occurred to me that I was not receiving royalty payments in accordance with Dog Ear's posted schedule. After months of hounding, I finally received a check. Then it happened again. Months without a payment. This time, I got no response to my inquiries. I had a lawyer send a letter. No response. They were contacted by the Alliance of Independent Authors. No response. The Better Business Bureau has now REVOKED THEIR ACCREDITATION. They've been reported by several of us to the Attorney General of Indiana, and there are more actions to come.

I've had to contact them to cancel our contract and take my book out of print. I will now be publishing with a new company, at considerable expense. And I still have not been payed overdue royalties.

I promise, I tried every possible way to make this situation end amicably.

Please, please don't work with Dog Ear. I don't want any writer to go through what I'm going through.

Apr 07, 2019

@Michael Kostroff Please keep my notified as to what is happening with any legal action.

• Co
      Apr 09, 2019

@Michael Kostroff I have to take the same route, sadly to say.

Jun 24, 2019

@Coco Blignaut I filed with both Indiana BBB and Indiana Attorney General. BBB said that they had to close the complaint due to lack of response from Dog Ear. I am still waiting to hear back from AG's office. They gave me a case number and seem to be acting on it. Who knows??? Anything form your end? Have you gotten the names and book titles of other Dog Ear authors being scammed?

• Rr
      Sep 04, 2019

@JanKB Did anyone get any legal advice or know of any legal actions that's being carried out?

Apr 02, 2019

I published my book with them in 2016. But I have been having a similar problem of late. I have not received a check for a year, and I cannot get anyone at the company to return calls or emails. What have you done? How can I even cancel with them if I can't even get a response???? Help.

Aug 07, 2019

Here's an article that was just published in the IndyStar about DogEar. Please share it! https://www.indystar.com/story/news/investigations/2019/08/07/dog-ear-publishing-accused-owing-thousands-self-published-authors/1860676001/

Aug 07, 2019

Authors, you can contact me at The Real Kostroff (at) Gmail. A group of us have gathered together to share resources and coordinate actions.

Aug 09, 2019

I just published with them, my book as been out for a month...and now they are giving me total radio silence. Before that Ray was talking to me personally on the phone, very supportive. Now - nothing.
    I have a book event/release planned for September 21st...I've sunk thousands of dollars into this venture.
    What should I do?

• Rr
      Sep 04, 2019

I am having the same issues as well. I haven't received one royalty check to this day. I have contacted Ray Robinson and Amber Ortner of Dog Ear Publishing and my calls and my emails are never returned. I feel so bad because my book is selling and I'm being taken advantage of. Publishing a book is not cheap at all, so for them to take this kind of unethical and unprofessional approach is hurtful. What could we do? Who could we contact?