Dog Ear Publishing / Authorhouse Publishing

Ripoff is underestamating

3.45
Dog Ear/Authorhouse Publishing
Indiana
Sadly I feel good to see I am not alone here!

I work very hard to write about my life to give hope to others, to find out that my editor and Dog Ear publishing have decided to contract between each other and not to tell me about it. the package I picked did included advertisement, naturally after (thank god) a short time with help of friend I found out about the contract, that was signed with out me been included.

Well, I put stop on production, since I am the only person with the copy right, but I still see my book been sold as new after even the publisher received a letter from attorney to stop any production of any kind!

According to Dog Ear my book did not sale at all, yet I see places in the web having my book in a new condition for sale such as amazon and Barns and the numbers I got from Dog Ears do not match!

I am shock to see it and wonder what is the meaning of copyright?

How many new book must be sold to call it infringement?
Why none of us authors has ever done anything about it, or is there anything we can do to stop them at all?
Personally I can not pay for the attorney fee, however I am determined to put stop on this and living in my car to save my rent (as little as it might be) money and pay a visit to one!

Lightning Source and Ingram are in to this and they are the one I am going after.
Complaint comments Comments (31) Complaint country United States Complaint category Phishing
More Dog Ear Publishing / Authorhouse Publishing Complaints & Reviews
Dog Ear Publishing - Dawg Gone [12]
Dog Ear Publishing - Advertising Fraud [6]
Dog Ear Publishing - Dog Ear Publishing - Fantastic

Comments

N  9th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Dog Ear has an "A" rating at BBB with only seven complaints, all resolved, over the past 36 months. Either they are doing a good job, or not enough of you are complaining to the BBB!
A  10th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I would agree regarding the class suit additionally, all those who have been taken by these companies should also file formal complaints with the attorney generals office in your particular state. I also agree that it is theft... I believe the legal jargon is Theft By Deception among others. Keep you minds folks as well as the contents of your wallets.
N  4th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I had an idea for a book. I found a illustrator and made it happen. This happened in 2005 and I had some problems when sombody fell off a ladder on top of me taking me out of work. Project halted. Just picking up where I left off I went to Amazon.com and found a book
eerily similar in Title and content to my book. I did copywrite my book in 2005 when I finished to avoid a problem. I found the publisher Dog ear probably looked up the title in the copywrite database and changed the words around just a little and the story around just a little. I don't know what to do. The book that is now selling has used and new books for sale.That means it was a good idea and it is
selling.What do I do? I can't afford an attorney. Is anybody going to get a class action going. If so please post the attorney's name so I can
call them. Rock and a hard place. No that was NOT the name of my book.
david
A  4th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Contact the attorney general's office in your state. You can email your complaint on-line. All of which can be google and is easily accessible.
Good luck and more over be patient as Rome was not built in a day.
N  12th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Most comments are full of errors. A writer must re-read, edit, AND have others proof read the material.
The excuse of "not being perfect" doesn't fly. Do your homework and correct and learn before submitting.
There must be at least one self-publishing company that is reliable, produces on time, and is responsible
about fulfilling promises! Which one is it?
A  12th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
PublishAmerica has been good for my project thus far believe it or not!
A  15th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with a publicist that said I had made a poor choice in self-publishing with AuthorHouse. She suggested that I try to break the contract, get the book professionally edited and submit it for sale as an ebook at a low price. She also advised me to move on to the next book and find a small publishing house, or, even better, get an agent for the next novel.

After reading all your stories, I must say, I am so very disappointed at myself for not reading more into the AuthorHouse reviews. Does anyone know how to break the publishing/printing contract with this horrible company?
A  15th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Does anyone know how to break the contract with AuthorHouse?
N  18th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
WOW! I have been in contact with Author House as late as yesterday about submitting my manuscript. Thanks for the warnings. Rodney
A  25th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
After a very careful and lengthy research, I decided to publish my first children's book with AuthorHouse. At first, I thought they were so professional and so efficient. Then, when the publishing started, I realized that some of the important issues that I stressed on several times in my numerous conversations with them, were completely disregarded. I was devastated as the whole harmony of the book was destroyed due to these mistakes. Of course, they wanted more money to fix the problem. I chose not to pay. It has been 3 months now and my book is published but I am still waiting to receive my free copies and the rest of the items that I payed for. Throughout the entire process I have dealt with numerous representatives and each tells me a different story, putting the blame on someone else. I am glad I went through this experience as I have learned a great deal. I will never go for a self-publishing company again. Believe in yourselves, if your material is good there is a good chance, that someday, it will get published the traditional way. Good luck to all!
N  25th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
The traditional way of publishing seems to be the best and most respectable, efficient way of getting your work placed before the masses. However, we s humans tend to want instant gratification which leads us to make hasty decisions. The predators in the publishing world feed of of that very weakness we tend to have and create money pools for themselves. I have gone with PublishAmerica for my first book. From the beginning they were very professional, concerned and remained in very close contact throughout the publishing phases. At no time did they ask me for any for money, in fact, they offered me an advance. The book has been published but I have not received any royalty monies as of yet. I will keep you updated with my progress. One other good publishing firm I heard of is Black Hawk Publishing so you all may want to check into it. I did send them a query letter but did not get a response of any kind as of yet and it's been 4 weeks so far. Get your copy of "St. Moses, Handicapped Hunter" today at www.barnesandnobles.com or www.amazon.com and everywhere else fine books are sold. Enjoy!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree