Dell / gift cards

1 CA, United States

I have been unable to use my Dell gift cards for purchases. Starting Jan of 2008, I started to gift myself a $100 card a month. Some were E-Cards ($600), some were Hard cards ($1200) sent in the mail. All have no expiration date.

Around Dec of last year, I didn't receive my card in the mail. After two hours on the phone getting passed on from person to person, I finally hung-up and called my credit card company and canceled that charge. I continued to buy cards till I had $1800 of them.

Then I decided to use one... and that is when the trouble started. I took me over a week, hours of waiting on the phone, etc till they were able to correct the E-Cards. They assured me the other hard cards would work.

Two weeks later, when I decided to use the hard cards, I was able to use 2 of them and place some orders. Unfortunately, the orders went through, but the cards were later invalidated and my orders canceled. It seems they were invalidated by Dell. One order I was not notified, the other I received an email. After speaking with Sales, they were going to contact Dell Card Service and correct the problem. I also called Dell Card Service and asked them to follow-up with Sales. Neither of them did, although they said they would.

That was almost two weeks ago. I have called daily, e-mailed daily and generally gotten nowhere with Dell Gift Service (they say their tool to fix the problem is broken) and Customer Service.

Now, I go to check the balance on the remaining 13 cards at Dell's website, and some show invalid, some show $100 original balance. Unfortunately, the ones with a balance do not go through when I try to make a purchase. There is no expiration date on this type of card, yet they show as invalid.

I average an hour a day and have used all my lunches and breaks at work trying to resolve the problem. Those hours have added up to days, many minutes on my prepaid phone, and still no resolution. The managers I call are often there on site, but let my calls go to voice mail after holding for 20 minutes or so. Often I am passed around and then disconnected. I have told this entire story to dozens of Dell employees (Sale, Service, Gift card care).

Several employees promise to call back the following day regardless of the outcome, and have not. These people owe me for my time, my minutes, the sales discounts I was unable to use, and finally the frustration of getting the runaround. Why does Dell treat their loyal customers so poorly?

St