David's Bridal / Marketing Tactics

1 Tacoma, WA, United States Review updated:

Our daughter is getting married in California and selected David's Bridal as the source of her wedding dress and wedding party dresses. My wife went into the store in Tacoma, Washington, to order her dress and they insisted on personal identifying information, even though it was a cash purchase. Shortly thereafter, we began receiving telemarketing calls from other businesses, including the Mens Wearhouse chain. We are sure that this is the source because we always insert a "time bomb" when responding to marketers or merchants, such as a mispelled word or name or some incorrect but vital information. That way we know the source of marketing we receive in violation of ethics and often law. In this case, we are on both the state and federal "do not call" lists. Today (2/11/09) we received a call from "Steve" at the David's Bridal customer relations office in Virginia, asking how their service is. When my wife relayed this information to him, he replied that it must have been a dishonest employee who sold the information to make some extra money, because David's Bridal has a policy against selling information. He said this very matter-of-factly, as though having a dishonest employee doing such things is no big deal and not unusual for this business. Also, since providing her registration information to this business in Fresno, California, our daughter has been flooded recently with spam e-mails tailored to her wedding plans. She made the mistake of providing them her e-mail address so they could contact her.

I do not recommend this outfit to anyone who does not want to be forever haunted with junk mail, spam and telemarketing calls in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

Ted L. Bader, Hoodsport, WA

Comments

• Li
      15th of Mar, 2009

I recently received calls from Men's Wearhouse as well for tuxedo rental for my fiancee. He's in the Army so he will be wearing his military uniform so therefore neither one of us ever inquired about renting a tuxedo. I suspected them when I got the call, but never thought anything of it. Well yesterday was the tip of the iceburg when I received a call from a company called "Royal Prestige" saying that I had won some prize package with a 3-night stay at a hotel, etc... I told the girl that I never entered any contest & asked her where she received my information she could not tell me... of course not, right? She then wanted me to set up an appt. for 8:30PM at a hotel she said it was 1-hour long & that they'd try to get me out of there as fast as they could. She said there was no purchase neccesary, blah blah blah. So I set up the appt. to see what it was all about. I did not go however after having time to think it over I knew if it sounded too good to be true it probably was. Plus why would I have to go to some hotel to pick up my "prize" & why did it have to take an hour. She was also VERY persistant about me having to bring my fiancee along with me as if it was a requirement. Anyways... I did do some further research today & came across a lot of consumer complaints about this company that supposedly makes you sit thru an hour long presentation full of false claims that have no scientific backbone to them trying to sell young happy couples $2000.00 pots & pans! WHAT A DISGRACE! Ontop of that the company preys on you & pressures you to make the purchase & they even offer financing which is RIDICULOUS. For pans? WHY...How are newlyweds supposed to be able to afford pots & pans at that price! CRAZY... I then found out from some other disgruntled consumers that they never received their money back, etc... when they were not satisfied with the products they just spent their life savings on. I then found a few threads of people that said David's Bridal had allowed these people to get their grubby scamming hands on your PERSONAL & PRICATE info, HOW RUDE & SHAEFULL! I did some other digging as well & found that in fact on David's bridal website actually discloses that they are aloud to sell/rent your personally identifiable info. whether you like it or not! When we bought my dress no sales person ever told me they would do something like that. Here is the link to that very page with that horrible policy of theirs. http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PrivacyView. As it states verbatim from that link... David's Bridal may also choose to sell, trade or rent your personally identifiable information to third parties providing offers that we believe would be attractive to our customers. If you wish to opt out of these offers, please send an email to remove@davidsbridal.net. Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of these third parties.
    I suggest anyone as unhappy as me write them a very forward email letting them know how you as a consumer feel, that you were never told this would happen. As a matter of fact I let them know as well that I was planning on getting my bridesmaids dresses there, but not anymore I don't want my girlfriends going through what I have. Thank God I decided not to go to that meeting who knows what I would have risked! All because David's Bridal wanted to make a quick buck off of me!

• Li
      15th of Mar, 2009

sorry the site is actually... http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PrivacyView