David's Bridal / Poor Quality , Deceptive, No Service

1 Sacramento, CA, United States Review updated:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND DAVID'S BRIDAL. First of all, don't fall for their very effective advertising tactics of a wedding gown for $99. You want to look great on the best day of your life, not wear something that was too ugly for them to sell. Very clever, but in my opinion, most unethical. I am sure that you too have heard of their $99 wedding gowns. It is right on their home page . They have this "come one promo" all the time. Except that no matter where you click on the home page, t here's NEVER a gown you can actually see. That should tell you something about their business practices right away.

Well, it is only human to hope to find a bargain, so not seeing a picture online, forces you to drive to their store. There, you will find high pressure tactics . They had lots of gowns. What I didn't realize at first, is that quantity does not mean quality. Don't buy one of their gowns until you go to a local bridal shop in your area . You need to be able to compare quality and price. If you go to regular bridal salons, you will find that David's Bridal dresses are VERY over priced for what they are offering. The fabric is also substandard. It just doesn't feel good or fit really well. Still, with all the horror stories I had heard, I wanted to check it out for myself. I am glad that I did because it made me go back and buy my gown in a downtown shop in my city.

At a downtown bridal shop in my city, the store had more than 500 different styles. Granted they were not all in my size, but they sure had a lot and I knew what they could order would come to me brand new! They explained that David's Bridal actually has less styles than many of the privately owned stores. It is just that David's Bridal has, for example, Style A in 3 colors and 16 sizes. In other words, at least 16 x3 (48) of the same gown.

They were, by the way, also more expensive than my local store. I would say around $200 to $300 more for the same gown. Still, you would not have been as happy with the dress I got had I not had a comparison to go by. Good service over bad service; pushy vs. not pushy, etc. You are not a mass produced bride, so why go and buy your dress in a FACTORY.

The salespeople at David's Bridal must be on commission because every dress any bride would put on received these comments: "Oh My God, You Look Beautiful, " "This is the perfect dress for you" "Well, is this the one?" etc. The one good thing I can say is that the salespeople had great training in how to compliment a bride when she looks ugly : ) And the $99 dresses? I expected it to be a way to get me to go from Chico to one of their stores in Sacramento: about 90 miles.

It worked. You probably would also think that their $99 dresses were UGLY and OVERPRICED if you saw them. Their advertising is the only thing that is good about this chain. Save money on gas, avoid poor quality gowns, stay away from high prices and pushy salespeople. You can't return or get a refund, so do not buy from them until you check out other stores first. Also, don't go alone because they are very aggressive and you might be sorry for buying what you thought was a bargain gown. The only one to get a good deal is the salesperson that gets her commission when she sells the wedding gown!!!

Comments

• Sh
      2nd of Oct, 2008

David's Bridal is a rip off! Four of my bridesmaids tried on their dresses at the store. Three of them were a size six. The dresses fit them perfectly in the store. They wanted to buy the dresses right away but the sales ladies stated that it would have to be ordered. When the dresses came in they were a size too big..but oddly still said they were a size six on the label. Almost the cost of the dress later, the ladies picked up their dresses from alterations. None of them had gone on a diet or needed to for that matter and yet mysteriously their supposed size six gowns needed altering. Alterations can cost anywhere from $80. for a hem and a bust reduction. If it's more than one layer try counting $200. washed away. My dress was "on sale" when I bought it off the hanger. Sure it was a size too big but the sales ladies told me (and I fell for it hook line and sinker) it was the last one because it was discontinued. The price couldn't be beat. That is until I had to pay the same amount as the dress in alterations. So two hundred dollars later I stopped in to my local tailor down the road. I told her my ordeal with David's Bridal and inquired how much she would have charged for the same aletrations. She quoted me $75.00

Shoes at David's can be found at every woman's shoe store (at least in the summer months) for absolutely half the price. And you won't get some other womans nasty foot print as a complimentary gift left behind.

Oh My God...a gauzy veil costs anywhere between $200-$1500. at DB. Why the hell would anyone entertain that price. It isn't necessary.

Barrets with flowers (I had a beach wedding) cost me $40. I paid it for the convenience.

Do yourself a favor. Save yourself from the kick in the ### you want to deliver to yourself after you watch DB steal your money and laugh at you. Go somewhere else. Keep those local Mom and Pop bridal stores in business. Steer clear of David's Bridal.

Or go... But I promise you. You WILL be back here later.

• Aa
      8th of Mar, 2009

you are prob just fat and can't fit in to anything so you have to complain about David's Bridal. Gold's Gym is cheap.

21st of May, 2009

The reason why they don't have gowns that are $99 shown on the website because every store has different gowns that are marked down to $99. I would think that would be a duh right there.

And of course the bridal boutique is going to tell you that DB has less styles, they want you to purchase from them and not go to DB! that's a selling tactic!

It's also your opinion that the $99 gowns are ugly. Some women really do like them. So you're basically complaining that they don't have gowns for your cheap ###.

• Li
      3rd of Sep, 2009

Wow, whoever you are... you really need to think again next time you write something like this! I recently bought my girls their bridesmaid dress at DB, they absolutely lovem! our consultants didnt play a scene they showed what fit nice, looked great and met the budget line as well!

• Ro
      8th of Oct, 2010

DB gowns for $99 are more simple, that's all. Some girls really love a simple style. A 50+ yr old business means more reliability than the next salon, their inventory will fit a broader range of customers and their body types through feedback, and I can tell you DB is by no means "cheap" as far as materials. It is awesome that the highest priced gown in there is $1200, while other salons offer that price as a starting point. Alterations do a fantastic job, and they offer discounts for accessories and bridal parties if you decide to purchase your dress there - which I think is the best place to go because it's a huge chain but they really train their consultants for individual attention. Consultants focus only on the bride's experience, NOT the sale. If those two go hand-in-hand, great, but I've never had a consultant just ignore someone bc they know the customer won't buy anything. I think it's awful you had a bad experience, but why give the entire company and all the great girls that work there a bad name?? I felt more welcome there than anywhere else I shopped.