CyberDefender / cannot uninstall, installed a toolbar without asking

1 Florence, KY, United States Review updated:

I heard Cyberdefender advertised on the radio so I thought I'd atleast check it out. I'm always looking at possible ways to keep up with the computer hackers, etc. It was go to freepcdiagnosis.com and so I go there and hit the free download and scan button. Should be download and "scam" button. Anyway, it came up that there were several things on my computer. I do have Norton Antivirus and Spybot on my computer and do checks 1-3 times a week usually. Anyway, I did some checking and found that Spybot didn't like them because they installed a toolbar without permission. I checked and sure enough, here's this Cyberdefender toolbar up there. I tried to uninstall Cyberdefender but have not been able to do so. I'm worried that they are doing more harm than good. They should at the very least let you know they are installing a toolbar and let you decide if you want it and also give clear instructions on how to get Cyberdefender uninstalled on your computer. This is the kind of stuff I'm trying to battle. Please someone let me know how to get this off.

Comments

• Le
      9th of Feb, 2009

How can i get rid off Cyberdefender? I cannot uninstall it by the normal way with microsoft uninstaller because its not in the list... PLease contact me if you can explain how to uninstall Cyberdefender.

My e-mail: leolala@live.nl

Thanks in advanged,
    Leo.

21st of Jan, 2010

CyberDefender Corporation would like to apologize for any difficulties you have encountered with our company. CyberDefender operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we have technical support staff located all over the world. We recommend that you contact our headquarters office at 866-793-0454 during normal business hours in Pacific Standard Time. We will be happy to help you resolve any issues or problems you are having.

All CyberDefender products can be uninstalled using your Windows Control Panel and opening Add/Remove Programs. First, you will want to exit out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer after uninstalling to complete the process.

Alternatively, you can go to your Control Panel and open your computer's search function. Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER." Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

• Au
      15th of Mar, 2010

cyberdefender is malware, don't install it. If you do, it will try to trick you into giving up your credit card number and will not let you uninstall it. It's a virus.

22nd of Apr, 2010

First, you will want to exit out of Registry Cleaner or Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate any CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER"

Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

If the trial or paid software still does not uninstall, you will first need to make sure the program is completely closed. If the small icon is still there in the lower right corner, you will need to exit first (right click & select EXIT).

If there is no option to uninstall when the program asks why you want to uninstall, there is an issue with your DPI (dots per inch) settings.

To change DPI settings, right click anywhere on your desktop & select

Properties>
    Advanced>
    DPI setting

Your DPI settings should be on Normal, not Large. If you change it to normal, try uninstalling again. If you still don't see the uninstall option after changing your DPI setting, you may need to restart your computer for the DPI settings to take effect.

Once you’ve got the correct DPI setting in place, simply click

Add/Remove Products

All Cyberdefender products are removable by the steps described -- I myself have installed and removed our product from any number of computers here in the office. However, if you are an Avast user this might still not work, as Avast is notably antagonistic to our program and may stop some of its scripts from running. This may be true of other antivirus software applications as well, so you may want to temporarily exit out of any other antivirus software running on your computer in order to remove our free trial.

The last resort I can suggest is to try to remove it in Safe Mode.

First, unplug your network cable.

Then turn off your computer and restart it.

Once your computer has come on, but before the Windows operating system logo appears, tap your F8 key repeatedly -- this will start your computer in Safe Mode.

Then make sure you have exited out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer and allow your Windows operating system to boot up normally after uninstalling to complete the process. Then re-connect your network cable, and you should be good to go.

CyberDefender Customer Service

• Bl
      24th of May, 2010

Wow, you just sound like a crank with a mad-on against ANY business that advertises in the media, as your MANY, often-repeated rants on the subject would prove!

Let's see, what have you posted so far...

You post this same silly rant over and over and over and over and OVER again.

Plus I find it hard to believe that some antivirus company has actually WRONGED YOU!!! so bad that you'd actually want to assault its employees. From another one of your comments:
    "I would like to hear of some one going to their offices and sending them to the hospital in VERY serious condition...Now that would be worth $40.00, wouldn't it?"

So far you hate the Cash4Gold people, the Acaiberry people... You really need to quit quaffin' that ol' hate-o-rade, Charlie. Either that or quit using the name of my favorite Peanuts character. :-P

25th of May, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

• Cl
      6th of Jul, 2010

The writer above that said it should be called download and SCAM hit the nail right on the head.This company is ripping people off at such an alarming rate, something must be done to stop them.Their technicians
    which they say are Microsoft Trained must have all skipped class because the can't fix anything.I got sucked in by them and like leaches
    you can't rid yourself of them.They say their work is 100% quaranteed, guaranteed to destroy your p.c. and leave it in worse condition than it was in when you called for their help.
    I'm trying to get together a class action suit against these guys, anybody thats interested please resond to this posting.

6th of Jul, 2010

Hello Class Action 2010,

Our vice president of customer relations has now personally contacted you through Complaintsboard.com with his contact information. We strive to always assist all of our customers in a prompt and courteous manner, and our fully staffed customer service and technical departments assist hundreds of customers every day. If you would simply contact us, give us your unique email address so that we may locate your account, and state the nature of your difficulty, we will do our best to assist you.

We have not heard anything from the California attorney general's office recently, but we are quite certain that your difficulty can be solved without recourse to such authorities by simply contacting our customer service department.