Cyber Defender / Their free virus removal hi-jacked my computer

1 TN, United States Review updated:

I down loaded the free antvirus and yes it does run a scan and it does find a virus, but then they want BIG MONEY to remove the virus. When I declined, the scan would not remove. I have tried to remove ot for months and it will not let me romove it, not even in safe mode. A box remains up the entire time my computer is on trying to block every porgram that is running. I have called so many times and they will not help me. THey recommend that I take it to someone and pay to have it removed. What ever you do don't do business with them.

Sj

Comments

• St
      25th of Sep, 2009

A NASTY Trojan virus... Very difficult to uninstall!

• Do
      25th of Oct, 2009

First I was overcharged on my credit card, should have been 39.95 was charged 54.95...Then they do an "analysis" and tell me i need to have their tech dept fix the computer for $224.

I said no, but they downloaded malicious trojan horse soft ware, which still has my computer in a bind, (microsoft security essential, full scan helped clean the mess up.)

Do not do business with these ###.

21st of Jan, 2010

CyberDefender Corporation would like to apologize for any difficulties you have encountered with our company. CyberDefender operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we have technical support staff located all over the world. We recommend that you contact our headquarters office at 866-793-0454 during normal business hours in Pacific Standard Time. We will be happy to help you resolve any issues or problems you are having.

All CyberDefender products can be uninstalled using your Windows Control Panel and opening Add/Remove Programs. First, you will want to exit out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer after uninstalling to complete the process.

Alternatively, you can go to your Control Panel and open your computer's search function. Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER." Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

22nd of Apr, 2010

First, you will want to exit out of Registry Cleaner or Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate any CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER"

Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

If the trial or paid software still does not uninstall, you will first need to make sure the program is completely closed. If the small icon is still there in the lower right corner, you will need to exit first (right click & select EXIT).

If there is no option to uninstall when the program asks why you want to uninstall, there is an issue with your DPI (dots per inch) settings.

To change DPI settings, right click anywhere on your desktop & select

Properties>
    Advanced>
    DPI setting

Your DPI settings should be on Normal, not Large. If you change it to normal, try uninstalling again. If you still don't see the uninstall option after changing your DPI setting, you may need to restart your computer for the DPI settings to take effect.

Once you’ve got the correct DPI setting in place, simply click

Add/Remove Products

All Cyberdefender products are removable by the steps described -- I myself have installed and removed our product from any number of computers here in the office. However, if you are an Avast user this might still not work, as Avast is notably antagonistic to our program and may stop some of its scripts from running. This may be true of other antivirus software applications as well, so you may want to temporarily exit out of any other antivirus software running on your computer in order to remove our free trial.

The last resort I can suggest is to try to remove it in Safe Mode.

First, unplug your network cable.

Then turn off your computer and restart it.

Once your computer has come on, but before the Windows operating system logo appears, tap your F8 key repeatedly -- this will start your computer in Safe Mode.

Then make sure you have exited out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Add/Remove Products

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer and allow your Windows operating system to boot up normally after uninstalling to complete the process. Then re-connect your network cable, and you should be good to go.

CyberDefender Customer Service

• Co
      16th of Nov, 2010

I used cyber defender and it worked for me. It cleaned up my computer and my computer is working faster and got rid of all the bugs for me. I also signed up with their tech support and it was better then taking it to Best buy. Cheaper and more convenient

24th of Nov, 2010

Dear SJR2,

Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of CyberDefender, I'd like to apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced in removing our software.

Firstly, I recommend you visit http://www.cyberdefender.com/remove.

There you can find instructions on how to remove CyberDefender products. But please, do not think that we do not wish to assist you. That is the very reason I am responding to your issue.

Regarding your reported "pop-up, " it's difficult to identify the source of the pop-up based on the information provided. Our Early Detection Center Internet-Security Suite will launch pop-ups for many reasons, including reminders to Activate the product, notifications that Windows Updates are available, etc. They should certainly be removable. Can you please inform me as to what text is included in this pop-up window?

Please feel free to reply back here with your response, or contact our ever-expanding Customer Relations Call Center Monday-Friday 6 AM - 10 PM PST and Saturday-Sunday 6 AM - 6 PM PST, toll-free at (866) 793-0454. You can also email us at [protected]@cyberdefender.com. Should you decide to email us, please reference "ComplaintsBoard post c391160" somewhere within the subject or body of the message to ensure expedited routing.

Nancy L. - Agent 1775
    The CyberDefender Team

24th of Nov, 2010

Hello NormanBates,

While we at CyberDefender appreciate your philanthropist mentality and apparent desire to help others in need, I felt it was prudent to address your points, which unfortunately are a tad misguided.

To begin, and as I mentioned to SJR2, any who have downloaded our Early Detection Center Internet-Security Suite may visit http://www.cyberdefender.com/remove to find instructions on how to remove the software. There are a couple factors which might hinder this process, a prevalent one being when a consumer attempts to manually uninstall the product by simply deleting files, and not following Microsoft Windows program uninstall directions (via "Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs"). Unless experienced, these individuals will likely not erase all traces of the downloaded software. However, it is rather elementary to assume only CyberDefender software can cause the aforementioned issue; for it is a universal issue within Windows. Such is why they design their Operating System to include the "Add or Remove Programs" feature.

Another potential cause for difficulties in removal of CyberDefender software is that an individual has in fact not downloaded and installed CyberDefender software at all; rather they have downloaded unwittingly a similarly-named program which is designed to mimic our own product as part of a "rogue anti-virus" scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_antivirus).

Also as previously stated, our anti-virus Services are free. It must be remembered however, that while all viruses are malware, not all instances of malware are viruses. While Early Detection Center 3.0 can scan, identify, and remove detected viruses free of charge, other categories of malware (such as spyware) require the fully Licensed version to be removed. If one is not able to remove malicious items in an Early Detection Center scan, there's a good chance that the malicious item discovered wasn't a virus, but some other form of malware. I'd encourage individuals to review the Scan Results to determine the exact definition and nature of a given detected item.

Moving on, I would recommend personally that NO individuals experiencing such a minor problem as being unable to install a program take such drastic measures as seeking 3rd party "geek" repairs, as you had referenced. Often times, simply re-installing the software will allow it to be removed properly (through "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel).

We see you also talked to "a Symantec guy" access your computer to remove the software for $75.00. We would not have suggested this. The methods posted on http://www.cyberdefender.com/remove should be followed exactly, as they are adequate for standard removal. This nine out of ten times proves successful, save that small minority which either experienced the previously stated manual removal issue, or others which have another PC-related issue which prove detrimental to the uninstall process. Secondly, there are software products available for free online which are designed to remove programs should the standard removal process. Google searches often yield helpful and positive results when seeking information. We are glad, however, that the Symantec technician was able to help you, as it only affirms our company's choice to bring aboard our Senior Vice President of Product Development. She is the former Vice President of Product Management for Symantec, having overseen the development of Norton AntiVirus, Norton SystemWorks, Norton Internet Security, and N360. Moreover, our Senior Vice President of Engineering and Threat Research also served at Symantec as Senior Software Designer, developing such products as Norton Utilities, Norton Commander, and Norton Desktop. He also functioned as Director Product Development for Earthlink, Inc.

All considered, I must disagree with your assessment that "these guys ought to be in jail." Our products are certified by several independent testing labs. Our staff has a severely proven track-record in the field of Internet-Security and technology. Our "guys" include individuals who were crucial in the development of Symantec, the very company you attest repaired your computer, and perhaps even the very anti-virus software you currently utilize. Jail is not where they belong, but right where they are, as pivotal members of a continually expanding and improving organization, designing products which will help protect people like you.

Nancy L. - Agent 1775
    The CyberDefender Team

• Pl
      17th of Jan, 2011
    Cyber Defender - mycleanps

Huge rip off and waste of my time! Iam now out almost 700 dollars and my pc only works in safe mode! dont do it!

• Wl
      31st of Mar, 2011

I just returned from one of my client's office who had installed Cybre Defender on five computers (without my advice). When I arrived none of the 5 computers could go online one failed to boot and one was hung. I was told that Cyber Defender techs had worked worked on one to the computers remotely and had not resolved any issues yesterday. I was also told that the companies account had been triple billed for the product. This sounds pretty much like the other complaints that I have been reading. Yes, I am a IT pro. There are a lot scam artist out there.

• Mc
      19th of May, 2011

On another complaint that I follow, Darth Poptart wrote:

As much as there has been comments from over a year ago, I just had such an urge to comment on this as well. Keep in mind, this is coming from a Tech student working with Computer Systems that is taught under a teacher who has done troubleshooting and virus removal for over 10 YEARS and has seen it all.

First of all, and the most IMPORTANT thing to do, is NEVER do is go on ahead and download/purchase any program that is suppose to protect your computer without looking over numerous reviews in case that program is a scam. This just might save you money and even information.

Second, there is nothing that pinpoints a slow computer to just viruses, especially those in the registry. There could be numerous other reasons why it is going slow, and it may be even a reason that is easy to fix without spending money. In the case where you want a registry cleaner, try CCleaner. It helps you free up space on your computer taken up by temporary files from your internet browser, and it helps clean the registry of errors and unused registry items in there. You don't even have to pay for the product to remove the issues from the computer because it is free and even more so, it allows you to back up your registry so you can reverse any changes made with the program just as CyberDefender's programs can "apparently" do.

For virus protection/prevention, this is where you must do your research. There is always the risk of personal information being exposed if you purchase that one wrong program, such as Vista Internet Security 2011, which IS a rouge trojan acting like an anti-virus. Programs such as AVG and Comodo let you download the program for free with basic, but highly customizable settings, for virus protection and a reliable firewall. You would have superior protection if you purchased the program, but never has AVG or Comodo urged you to buy the program as much as MyCleanPC has

So there is many other ways to free up space on your computer, increase the performance on your computer, and not risk your information FOR FREE. Keep in mind, the best way to get the best protection is to buy an anti-virus program, but make sure you TRY IT OUT AND DO YOUR RESEARCH.

And to Nancy, the page, specifically the MyCleanPC page, is very misleading and unreliable. I had to do a deep search on CNET just to find your review page, since the MyCleanPC failed to redirect me to the page (you click on the CNET image, and you are instead redirected back to the front page of MyCleanPC). Second, why are there no updates for this program. Are you telling me that this one program is that perfect that it will never need updates? Wrong. Very wrong. Even CCleaner needs constant updates to perform at it's best and every anti-virus that actually works needs updates constantly too. And if I am wrong, where is there anything on any page on your website that informs you of new updates for the program? Where are the details about your program besides how to buy it? You say that you use the information you collect in order to improve your service to your customers, but how come there has been no improvement since you released it over 2 years ago?

How about an even bigger question, Nancy. What makes your company's programs better than CCleaner? How about Comodo, Malwarebytes, or AVG? Why is it that the first thing that people think of when they hear your company name is "Virus" or "Rouge Anti-Virus"? Your site and how it is set up can't even compare to Piriform's (CCleaner's company) home page, which is absolutely user-friendly and better to work with.

So to those who have issues with CyberDefender and their products, there are better options out there. Don't fall for their spam when you can consider other programs to use that have no risk involved. DO YOUR RESEARCH. IT WILL NEVER HURT YOU. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but seriously, anything you look up in Google or Bing nowadays will give you pages of other people who are finding that this program IS NOT AS GOOD AS OTHER BETTER PROGRAMS OUT THERE.

• Mc
      19th of May, 2011

Now for my portion.

CYCSR Nancy, yours is the only company that I've seen that will let a user download a "detection" tool and then force the user to pay to fix their computer, and if they don't, it leaves their computer worse than it started. All the complaints follow a pattern here, one that you are failing to see. Nobody has agreed with any of your claims. Multiple times, others have proven you wrong, and you've tried to go on acting as if it never happened. Another thing that astonishes me is how you ignore what people point out or say and then go on to answer the wrong question. You answer questions that weren't ever asked, and your answers are more than a little paranoid and monotonous. It's like this:
    You: "As a tech-minded customer support representative, I must mention that our customer support is willing to help you. Also, I must add that our software is amazing and everyone here simply must buy it."
    User1: "You're wrong. Here's the evidence. It said my out of the box, clean install of Windows 7 had 30-something viruses." *mentions VIRUSES*
    You: "We're sorry you have trouble, but all computers come with *registry* errors. Did I forget to mention our customer support? Also, I must add that our software is amazing and everyone here simply must buy it." *mentions REGISTRY ERRORS, which weren't brought up*

Time to pass the torch onto yet another "representative" who is "tech-minded". Note that you are the second one I've dealt with on these boards. The first one I entirely destroyed.

23rd of Mar, 2012

I saw Cyber Defenders ad on TV and called and they ran a check on my PC found lots of errors so I bought their product. Six months later my PC mother board crashed and I called Cyber Defenders tech support after an hour on phone they said they couldn't fix problem. I ended up buying new PC different brand and cyber defender transferred to that one. Three months later same-thing happened to new PC I called Cyber Defender and after two days on phone and them fixing my PC I called the company i got my laptop from and since I was under warranty they had me send in my laptop ended up replacing my mother board and told me my virus protection didn't protect my computer at all. I called Cyber Defender they said no problem they will refund my money . They refunded to a closed account and I can't get them to send me my refund to my new account since old account gave them the check back. I have been on the phone with them for over a month now and turned them in to BBB

• Da
      14th of Jan, 2014
    Cyber Defender - Subscription cancellation

My name is darrin kline I stopped using your product years ago. I called last January and they said they would credit my credit card back and cancel my subscription now I see I have another charge on my account this year. Please cancel my subscription and credit my credit card back