CVS Pharmacy / missing pills.

1 Newtown, PA, United States Review updated:

I've recently went on Adderall at the end of October. I'm 28 years old and it's been a wonderful thing. I've been living with these 'issues' all of my life that I never really thought much about looking into, because I thought it was just me. Something I'd always have to deal with. When I went to my Doctor he prescribed me a 30 day quantity/ 60 pills to take twice a day. It should've lasted me over a month and a half (Because sometimes I only take 1 a day or sometimes I skip a day when not needed), but oddly I ran out before I thought I should. I wouldn't take them over the weekend on Saturdays and Sundays because I wouldn't be doing anything that required focus. I counted my pills at one point and had 14 left. I thought to myself, "I don't think this is right, but I'm not 100% sure." So I didn't do anything about it.

Well I went in and had my prescription refilled again Dec 8th, 5 days ago today. Again it was for 60 pills/twice a day. Since the 8th I've taken 6 pills. With Christmas coming up I've been extraordinarily busy and had taken them this weekend as well. When I opened the bottle today, I looked in and thought, "This is definitely NOT right, I have to be missing pills." So I counted them. And I counted 30 left. Really? 30? Was I trapped in some sort of time warp? That means I had a total of 36 pills on the 8th. I am missing 24 pills. At this point, knowing the size of the pills, 60 pills wouldn't have even fit in this container.

Of course the quantity was circled and initialed by the pharmacist. Well I called CVS and told them my problem. An hour later the pharmacist called me back and said the quantities at the store. And then of course blantantly 'suggested' that someone stole my pills. Let's just say they do Rude at this store pretty well. Can't even do a partial refund huh? No, of course you wouldn't offer that. Sorry no, my pills are with me at all times. Even though I only take them once a day they are either in front of me on my desk or in my purse when I leave my house. My purse never leaves my site.

I called my Doctor's office to let them know about this issue. Then I called them back with an updated status about CVS's quantity being fine. The receptionist and I had a little chat. She said well the Doctor's response will depend. I clarified, it's not and issue of me needing my certain # of pills to take. At this point it's about spending $20 on 60 pills when I got 36. Anyway my parents suggested I inform my Doctor's office, just to let them know basically. It's better to document this stuff in some fashion rather then not saying anything at all.

I was thinking about removing all of my prescriptions from CVS. It's true that after their first Manager left, Frank, the staff has been rude. Except for 1 young guy. Sometimes it take FOREVER to get a refill and twice now they've claimed that we didn't pay for a prescription and told us we owed them $20. Which was false of course.

On the other hand I'm half tempted to hold out, get it refilled and count them myself right there in the store so everyone can see it. :)

Anyway, I realize we can't really prove anything on either end at this point. But should I send them a letter about the incident so it's on record. Should I do anything? I would love a partial refund. Or maybe a sincere, "we're sorry for the invonvienance." Yeah that'll be the day.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue at this store with missing pills if they could let me know.

Jk

Comments

• Ju
      13th of Dec, 2010

I get all of my prescriptions filled at Walgreens. I usually order online about 2 weeks before I run out and have them shipped to my house. So far, in 4 years time, I haven't had any problems. Occasionally, I'll have one filled at a store instead of mailing. They did send to the wrong store once but it is in the same town so not really a terrible inconvenience. I hope it all works out for ya.

• Yo
      14th of Dec, 2010

You Bi-Polor Kid stop snorting your drugs

• Mu
      18th of Dec, 2010

You are perfectly within your rights to request that your adderall be counted in front of you when you pick up your prescription. We do this by request at my pharmacy. It is probably the easiest solution for you and the pharmacy. If you aren't getting good service, perhaps you should try a different pharmacy. Usually pharmacies with lower prescription volumes provide better service (such as independent pharmacies). They actually take the time to address customer service issues properly and give individualized service.
    ~ Pharmacist

• Cs
      18th of Mar, 2011

I TOO have had this happen at the Liberty Mo. CVS I was short 13 from my vicodin script. Did they do anything of course not they are NEVER wrong!

• Fm
      28th of Mar, 2011

Since most techs and pharmacists count by 5s, it seems pretty interesting that you were short by 24 pills. At my store, only the pharmacist has access to the Adderall, they at least double count the prescription amount, and then count whatever is left in the stock bottle. They have to write down the counts in the log book even. It would be very difficult for them to short you medicine in this fashion... It could happen, and mistakes can be made, but that is very sloppy on their end if that's the case.

• Ea
      29th of Jun, 2011

I worked for CVS Pharmacy when they bought out Longs Drugs for over a year. The staff and pharmacists are only allowed several minutes to process and fill your prescription. When people work under this kind of pressure mistakes are going to be made, especially with the few people they have working in their pharmacies. I worked as a pharmacy technician and found the attitude of most of the pharmacists especially the pharmacy manager to be rude and they claim to be never wrong. They don't have time to spend talking to you with out the corporate office coming down on them, as every thing they do is monitored and the amount of time it takes them to perform their duties is also monitored and kept on record. It's what is know as Fast Food Pharmacy. It's corporate greed at it's finest. If they get a few lawsuits it doesn't matter to them, as long as their employees are pushed to produce at an unsafe speed. I've been there, I've seen it, I won't get my prescriptions filled there. Demand that the pharmacist counts your pills for you at the counter before you leave the store with them. Good luck.