Craftsman / covering up the truth

i went to sears november the 28th 2010 to look at their craftsman hand tools as a christmas gift idea. almost all their craftsman tools which were "proudly made in america" are now made in china and are now "proudly distributed in america". the made in china is in very small print on the package and conveniently covered with a wrapping on the tool where the china is stamped into the metal. i have been faithfully buying craftsman tools for 40 years and this is how they return the loyalty. if you have any made in U.S.A. craftsman mechanic tools with a lifetime warranty that break, when you take them back to sears for a replacement they give back a piece of chinese junk in return. i, for one wont step foot into sears again.

Comments

• To
      28th of Sep, 2008
    Craftsman product - In your tool department
    13105 WHY 50
    Winter Garden
    Florida
    Phone: 407-656-4483
    teriksqt@yahoo.com

My husbend and myself went your wintergarden store to spend a large amount of money and we where not so pleased .As he needed tools for work and your tool department was not well stocked and had no prices and EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING was in the WRONG PLACE!!.And he could not get what he needed for his job, I know how your store works because I am a former Kmart employee, so thats just wrong.And on top of that you need to retrain your upper floor mangament their not very nice.I can understand if your truck did'nt come in that week but thats just stupid And then in the mens department they did'nt have his size in jeans, then when went too check out our cart just fit though .What if some thing happened?and someone got hurt?.Like they pastout?But in all the store was clean and you need more people on the weekends.Receipt#0366809210800347117

• Zs
      9th of Aug, 2010
    Craftsman - Lawn mower

I bought a new 22" push mower in April 2010, it went in the shop just over the 90 day mark all they could tell me was it needed a new long block the next week hem I tried to cut grass the mower slung a rod right thru the side of the block then while i was on the phone after the first 30 minutes of waiting the call was dropped after 25minutes of the second call waiting they have not answered. I am ashamed to own craftsman and am absolutely certain I will not shop there again. It is a 350$ piece of crap.

• Em
      10th of Sep, 2010
    Craftsman - Junk
    Craftsman

As a life long customer of Craftsman, I have been fairly confident they would stand behind the products they offer. A router I purchased for my father as a gift recently burned out after limited use. It is out of the warranty period and now Craftsman will refuse to help me. They want me to pay to have their service people inspect the machine and then want to charge me again to have it repaired. The customer service rep I spoke with finally gave me a false phone number to call. Nobody will help me with this product and I will never shop there again. My entire shop has been Craftsman products. I will never purchase another of their products.

• Ni
      5th of Dec, 2010
    Craftsman - defective power drill
    5545 East Drive
    Niles
    Ohio
    Phone: 330-652-0661

Whatever happened to "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED, OR YOUR MONEY BACK'? I have one of your power 1/2' hammer drills.It is stuck on the 'hammer'function.It was replaced on 01/28/02 because of a defective chuck.It has not been used that often.Your people at your Eastwood Mall location said that there was nothing they could do for me.I told them if I did not get satisfaction my family would never shop at Sears again and was told the same thing.I feel bad for arguing with them because they were nice peope, They were following store policy .I take good care of my tools so they take care of me.is there any thing you can do about this, or should I take it apart and fix it myself and shop elsewhere over a $69.99 drill?

• Bl
      5th of Dec, 2010

These idiot retailers need to recognize the problem they make for themselves by not taking care of people. The drill probably cost Sears $30 to buy or have produced. So for $30 they could have had a very satisfied customer, instead they have someone mad as heck and happy to tell the world how bad that Sears is to deal with. This is why Sears is constantly on the verge of bankruptcy/closure these days -- it's not that there is not still demand for what they do - it's that they don't honor their pact with people. The business is theirs to lose.

I would just take it back to a different Sears and try again - chances are you'll get your money back.

• Gl
      7th of Mar, 2011

Ref ; Craftsman Drill Battery # 976280-001 16.8 Volts
    My (2) batteries have died ( no longer take a charge) I checked to purchase a replacement and the cost was over $85.00 each !!!
    this is outrageous. I can buy a new electric drill (with cord) for
    under $30.00.
    If I do not receive a decent response/ explanation I will buy
    an alternative Brand of drill - and no longer consider using any
    Craftsman product.

IL
    Berwyn
    Illinois
    Phone: 7089490791

I PURCHASED A CRAFTMAN CANVAS JKT IN DEC AND RETURNED IT BACK TO THE STORES AFTER A FEW DAY BECAUSE WHEN YOU ZIPPED THE ZIPPER UP IT SEEMDED THE TEETH WERENT ZIPPING UP IT WOULD JUST SPLIT OPEN . SO WE DID AN EXCHANGE AND GOT ANOTHER ONE THINKING THAT WAS JUST A DIFFECTED JKT, WILL IT HAPPENED AGAIN TO HIS NEW COAT AFTER 2 MONTHS. WE PURCHASED THIS COAT B/C IT WAS ON SALE AND A LITTER CHEAPER THAN CARDHARDT. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS JKT AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OR PURCHASE ANOTHER.

• Ra
      6th of Dec, 2011
    Craftsman - Snowthrower
    Sears
    1 Crystal Run
    Middletown
    New York
    Phone: 1-845-695-5000

I purchased a Craftsman Snowblower from Sears Dept. store on 11/22/10.
    I purchased the extended warranty. The Sow thrower had been working fine. I attemted to use the snow thrower on oct. of 2011, during a snow storm and it did not start. I took it to Sears to have it repaired on 10/30/11. Picked it up on 11/20/11, brought it home, and still wouldn't start, and they damaged the gas tank, I took the snow thrower back to Sears that same day, and explained to Sears the problem, Sears told me to leave it with them that they would have it repaired.11/20/11. Picked up the snow thrower brought it home, once again it did not start, and the gas tank wasn't replaced, I took it back, and was told that I have to give them another shot at repairing the snow blower before they can do something about replacing this snow thrower. I feel this is unfair, I don't live around the corner from Sears, and who is going to compensate me for the gas, and time going back and forth with this machine that doesn't work properly. Please let me know what can be done to resolve this issue. I am also a customer in good standing. Thank You.

9th of Dec, 2012
    Craftsman - Pricing for Alaska
    Sears
    Alaska

I was hugely surprised when I went to the Craftsman website in hopes of purchasing a Christmas present for my brother. I found that they have "special pricing" for Alaska and Hawaii. The product prices are considerably higher if you're purchasing from one of those states! The shipping is higher too, which is expected, but a higher price on the item itself?? This is completely ridiculous. The price of an item, regardless of where it's being sent, should remain the same - only the cost of shipping should change. Why can I order a set of pliers from California and pay less for the pliers than if I order from Alaska? The cost of producing those pliers is the same regardless of where they're being sent. This is a complete rip-off. By the way, I checked the shipping and it's not that we're saving money on that part - it is as high as we normally pay. They've just arbitrarily chosen to increase prices on items being sent to AK and HI. Bad choice, Craftsman. I won't be recommending you to anyone.

• Mo
      9th of Dec, 2012

go to YOUR local sears store, purchase the tools and then mail them yourself. save money all the way around.

• Ol
      6th of Apr, 2013

Similar situation: I replaced one battery for $69.00, second, some years later I can but for $59.00. I replaced the whole thing for $99.00 with a DeWalt 1/2" drill driver!

• Je
      27th of Jul, 2013

In the same boat here. I love the drill, but come on Sears, I know you want to sell more tools, but why not sell tools and help our hard working dollars from having to keep on buying new ones. It is a waste. First off that the batteries only last a couple years. Secondly, the cost to replace the 2 batteries I have in my pack will be over $160! Sorry, but I would rather buy elsewhere and spend my hard earned money with a company that isn't going to force me to buy a new tool. Which you did, but I will buy anything other than a craftsman brand.

• Ji
      17th of Aug, 2014

Same here! Just chatted with online agent. Was offer $50 discount, but price still exceeds cost of buying a new Dewalt product. What POS company Sears and the Craftsman brand has become, Grandpa & dad are rolling over in there graves...