Costco Warehouse / they do not match the prices

I recently saw a patio set at the Tracy Costco warehouse which was priced at $999.99 and wanted to purchase; however they were out of stock. I asked to see if they would sell me the floor model but supposedly the supervisor said "NO" because they ARE GETTING MORE in. The guy behind the counter was very helpful and said there was 3 on hand at the Manteca store. My husband & I drove to Manteca the next night come to find that yes they had it in stock BUT the PRICE WAS $1079.99. That is an $80 difference and in today's economy that is A BIG DIFFERENCE to question it. When I advised the clerk behind the counter she was very rude and said, "well everything is different even milk and eggs"? A supervisor was there and she was rude to me as well and said we don't match prices here. I ended up purchasing the item anyway since I needed to use it this weekend. On my way out I spoke to the manager of the store and she said as well but in a more polite manner that they don't match the price here.

The next day (today 6.4.09) I went back to the Tracy Costco and asked to see if I can get a price adjustment. A front line supervisor was behind the counter and advised me that no they can't since that item was marked down and they ARE NOT GETTING ANYMORE. He also mentioned they would not sell the floor item as they get FULL CREDIT BACK for it.

With all that my questions would be:

1) WHY put something out on your sales floor with a price and then state IT IS NOT FOR SALE??
2) WHY doesn't COSTCO match other COSTCO's prices, especially in this case where it was out of stock at one place and in stock at another? (as it doesn't state price good at this Costco ONLY?)
3) What is the difference if I return the item at Tracy's Costco at the higher price THEN REBUY IT BACK at the lower price??? (Basically it is a big hassle to load the heavy pieces back and drag it into the store: this makes the customer more frustrated with your Company) What ever happened to Customer Satisfaction!!

I can't believe that there is no standard pricing between the different COSTCO's especially in the same area/county. I hope this situation and future ones like this get looked into and reviewed as I know that if this continues to happen I will go elsewhere to do my shopping like smart and final or make the drive to Sam's Club/Walmart Superstore.

Pc

Comments

• Fe
      24th of May, 2010

The same thing happened to me. I recently saw a balcony set in the Greensboro, NC Costco but didn't purchase at the time. The price was $639.99. A went back a about week later and the set had been removed from the floor. I inquired at Customer service as to whether the store expected to get an additional shipment. I was told no and that the item had been "de-activated." I asked the clerk to check to see if another Costco in NC that still had set. I was told that Raleigh Costco had four left. I subsequently drove to Raleigh to buy one and to my surprise, that same set was priced at $669.99 which was $30.00 more than in Greensboro. When I inquired as to the price difference, the salesperson who assisted me explained that each Costco set their own price (based on supply and demand, I guess). At any rate, I was happy to have found the set even though I paid more for it. The lesson I took away for the experience is that you must act quickly on SEASONAL ITEMS or you may not be available when you return AND that you may end up paying more at another store.