CompUSA TAP Program / Do not honor TAP

COMPUSA Store #793 604 Ala Moana Boulevard Honolulu, HI 96813. On July 9, 2005 I purchased an HP Lance Armstrong laptop computer for my daughter attending law school at the University of Hawaii. The salesman suggested I purchase the 3 year TAP program for an additional $369.99, which I did at the time. On August 7, 2005 the laptop failed and it was replaced by COMPUSA with another same laptop. When I picked up the laptop I specifically asked if this will be a problem with the TAP program because it is a different serial number. The repair dept. said it should carry over. On May 19, 2007, school is on break so my daughter took the laptop in for repair. The optic drive in the DVD player skipped and a USB port works sporadically. A problem arose because the serial number did not match my receipt. They claimed they had no record of a new laptop being issued. Funny a computer company keeps such poor records in their computer. They seemed to blame me for not providing the paperwork and insisted I must have it somewhere or I couldn't have walked out with the replaced laptop. Luckily I found the paperwork with the new serial number and provided this paperwork. I receive a call on June 1, 2007 saying the laptop was sent out on May 30, 2007 and it should be ready in ten days. On June 11, 2007, Mike from the repair dept. said he has bad news that the laptop was not sent out due to a discrepancy in the serial number. He admitted it was a foul up on their part. They have to receive some kind of "OK" from whatever company they send it out to before sending the laptop. This is most frustrating. I don't see why they are making such a big thing over the serial numbers. It's not like I stole the computer. I have been a long time customer with COMPUSA with a charge account. Mike apologized and claimed they will expedite the repair and he will call me back to notify me when they send out the laptop. Today is June 20, 2007, and I have not heard a word. I think they don't want to honor the TAP, although they were so "hardsell" on it when I first purchased the laptop. This is my first time dealing with their TAP and it seems they really do not want to honor this and try to find any excuse not to honor it. If I didn't find my paperwork for the replacement, it would have been an even worse situation. If the repair never gets done I should demand a refund on my TAP purchase.

Comments

• Ju
      1st of Jul, 2008

Serial numbers matter. They identify the computer. The serial number allows the company to know that the customer is not trying to get a computer serviced that is not under warranty. Your issue acually began at the time of the exchange. They should have properly documented the exchange. TAP warranty contracts are being honored left and right. I know for a fact.

Do you have a status on your computer now?