CompUSA / Unauthorized billing

I have a iPod Touch that I purchased at CompUSA (Clearwater, FL)the last week of November in 2007. When I purchased the unit I begrudgingly let the salesperson talk me into buying a 2 year in store 'no questions asked' replacement warranty for $69.99. Over the course of the first year I had a lot of issues with the unit locking up, not holding a wifi connection and then right before the purchase anniversary the battery stopped holding a charge and would die within a half hour of an overnight charge. So I called the store and told Paul (at the store) my situation including the date of purchase and he told me to bring the iTouch in and they would replace it. I asked him to confirm they had the unit in stock because it was a long drive and he said they did.

So I made the 90+ minute drive to the CompUSA store in Clearwater, FL and upon arriving was told by a rep that they wouldn't honor the warranty. I told him I drove over 90 minutes and asked to speak to the manager. Jay Kurth (the store manager) came out of his office and started to tell me that I had to contact an insurance company to get service on the unit. I told him that I paid 70 dollars for an in-store replacement program and had called to ensure replacement before driving 90 minutes to get there.

He told me that I bought the warranty from 'the Old CompUSA' and that the 'New CompUSA' was a different company. The last time I checked, when a company purchases another company they assume all liabilities. When I told him I wasn't leaving until he did something for me he threatened to call the police. I called him ### and told him to go ahead so that I could let the police know how CompUSA stole from me. He never did call the police, so I am now going to contact the local TV and radio consumer advocates and the Better Business Bureau.

Their actions should be criminal and I am blown away how poorly CompUSA treats customers. When I looked through other complaints I saw a consistent history of both the 'old' and 'new CompUSA' ripping people off. I will never buy an extended warranty again. Why doesn't our government protect us from companies like this?

Fr

Comments

• Ro
      21st of Mar, 2011

And did you go up there with a copy of the service agreement? No? What a surprise.