Compass Bank / Estate of late father

My father died over 6 years ago. Compass Bank would not change the address of record on his bank account even though he had requested it prior to his death. He was living with my husband and I at the time of his death. We had forgotten about the account over the years. It only contained a little over $1,000. Recently, while going through some old papers, we found an old bank statement on the account. We took a certified letter from the probate judge along with a death certificate to the bank. The letter told them to release the funds to me. They said they would send it to their legal department and let me know when I could have the funds. That was on 4/20/07. As of 4/24/07, still no word. They never return my calls. I have to go to the bank everyday on my lunch hour to check on the status. The other banks at which my father had small accounts were very courteous, efficient and released the funds to me the day I presented them with the letter from the judge. I would recommend that no one have any type of account with Compass and they are the most inefficient financial institution I have ever had the misfortune to have any dealings with.

Comments

• Me
      22nd of May, 2018

Compass bank has been the worse financial institute that I have worked, My Fathers passed. I went into a branch sat with the branch manager directly she took, the death certificate and Will that showed I was the executor of his estate copied it and call her probate department. You would think branch manager would have flagged all his accounts that he's deceased and my name as executor. I have sold my Father's home and provided information to escrow to payoff the equity line attached to the property. Compass bank will not speak to me, said I have to go to a branch to provide documentation I ALREADY DID and now I am 10 hours away from a branch.
    I received a letter that compass bank did a loan advance on the equity line and put it in his checking account (which I closed) to pay themselves, so how is this even possible!!! Checking account closed and equityline was paid off from escrow company!!! No one will help me to figure this out!!! DO NOT EVER WORK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!
    Seems they lie to peoples faces as well.. Is the accounts really closed??? No one will tell me