Columbia House / Fraudulent Charge

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

Hi,
Columbia House has submitted a bill they say I owe to a collection agency. I do not owe Columbia House any money. They have brought my credit score down 100 point for a charge of $23...that I do not owe them. In addition to that, I have no contact information for Columbia House. I am in the process of trying to refinance my home, and this fraudulent charge is preventing me from getting a good interest rate. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Cr
      14th of May, 2009

A while ago someone opened up an account under my credit card, i went to cancel it and when I called them the said I had to get the product first, then ask for a form to return it and then they would cancel it. I never received the goods so I waited 6 months then finally got them to send me a letter to fill out and sign stating that I never authorized these charges, the account isn't mine, and I never received anything. I though this would be the end of it but apparently they never received it. I sent them e-mails and they said maybe it got lost in the mail. So, once again, they mailed me this stoopid form, I filled it out and sent it again. A few weeks later I got a call from a collections agancy, and when I called Columbia house they accused me of lying and wanting to keep the CDs (I don't even know what was ordered) and they said that they couldn't send me the form again and that they couldn't do anything for me but send me credits for when I pay what I owed. This is what I did- I didn't get scammed and I hope that the below helps:
    In Canada we have the ministry of small businesses and consumer services. You can file a complaint through them. I filed it with them and also told the collections agency that these charges were fradulent. Literally a week and a day after I filed complaint I got letter from Columbia house telling me the $112.00 dollars I owed them was cancelled as well as the membership.

If you have proof that you've tried resolving this with them and they're just yanking your chain you can report them to better business bureau or to a small business and consumer service ministry-type thing. (Not sure if it's same in the US)

I hope this helps- Stoopid Columbia house sucks! They're a bunch of scammers and rude on the phone.

14th of Oct, 2009

It is a bunch of crap that you are stating Columbia House brought down your credit score. They don't report to a credit agency. How can they when they don't have your social security number. If your credit score is dropping then there is another company out there that you owe money to that IS reporting it.