Citifinancial Retail Services / Suspicious fraudulent practice

P.O. Box 2060Tempe, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-643-5607
I purchased a set of furniture fro the Furniture Outlet Store at Medford, MN on July 16, 2006. The Store provided me with a promotional plan by Citifinancial Retail Services which would allow me a period of 18 months to pay without interests until Jan. 16, 2008. I paid in full with a personal check in the amount of $2,264.19 dated Jan. 8 2008 and sent it out the same day along with a few other payments to other businesses. I used their provided payment coupon and sent to their Ohio P.O. Box Coulumbus. Citifinancial was the only one who claimed that my check did not reach them in time and sent me a bill dated Feb 5, 2008 for back-interests of $784.18 plus a periodic charge of $7.11. The bill reached me on Feb. 11, 2008. I called their inqury office in Tempe, AZ. I talked with diffferent people and finally got the person named Ria (who claimed to be the manager of Accounts, Custormer Services of Citifinancial Retail, but refused to give me his last name). I asked him to sent back my cancelled check. He said that the check was electronically cashed and was immediately destroyed afterward. He also suggested me to contact the postal office to find out when my was delivered to their Ohio P.O. Box. I finally obtained a copy from my own banker who made a few phone calls and was able to get me a photo image of my cancelled check within 24 hours. On the photo image of my cancelled check, we found, indeed the check was dated Jan. 8, 2008, and it was picked up by box lot and bundled with other checks and cahed it on Jan 23, 2008.

I believe they were holding my check until the deadline was past.
My wife and I are both in our seventies and are retired professionals. At our age we can hardly handle this kind of harassment and fraudulence. I would appciate very much if you can render hand to us in solving this problem. Thank you very much.

Comments

Pa
  22nd of Feb, 2008
I have had similar incidents with CitiFinancial. I have mailed my payments to them in their self addressed envelope and the past three months they have not received my payment twice. So of course, they put on late fees and also add an extra payment of $2.00 to the account because it was not paid on time. I mailed this payment out 10 days in advance. I really think they have a scam going on where they do not post your account and then they can add late fees. I closed my account with them because of this and will never do business with Rooms To Go as long as they use the services of Citifinancial. I am glad to see that I am not alone with this problem.
De
  2nd of Mar, 2008
Ha, I had the same problem with Citifinancial Retail. I made a payment by phone just before the due date. I told the rep on the phone that I wanted to pay off the amount in full. the next month lo and behold I get a bill for $80 in back interest. I called in and the lady apologized to me and said she would credit my account. Then another month goes by and it is $80 + $25 in late charges. This cycle continued untill now I owe almost as much as I paid for my furniture. I refuse to pay it! Is there any justice in the world? I reported them to the Better Business Bureau, but ow they just use my number to send me harrassing phone calls. These people are corrupt and unethical and they are gaming the system and taking advantage of the average joe. Next I am going after Ashley Home Furniture for doing business with these crooks!
Ke
  25th of Mar, 2008
My advice to all parties involved is to pay electronically through your banks. When you send something in the mail, you don't really have any recourse, because it's your word against theirs. In addition it is sad to say but credit card companies love people to pay late, and trust me when they make predictions about their business, rest assured that late payment/failed payments are factored into their bottom line. Is is right? Hmmmmm lots of things are not right, and it is our responsibility to protect us, otherwise the above things happen. To play devils advocate lets say a payment got lost in the mail, or got lost internally and was not posted on time and as a result you have to pay interest. If this would work then every time someone wanted to pay late they would just simply blame it on the post office and that would be that.

At the end of the day they (credit card companies) are nothing more than a bunch of blood sucking crooks. The lesson here PROTECT yourself !!!
Me
  21st of Apr, 2008
i had recived a call from your recover agencies i dont know. who is this but telecaller number is 9910892470 and when i picked my phone and she told me that you are darshan kaur and i said no and she statring abusing and very augly language and she told you cheater and lawyer, you cheated bank. so decided to launch police complaint on her with this number and also make complaint on citi financial
J
  17th of Jul, 2008
Mr. Chou,

What you are referring to--CitiFinancial holding your payments and claiming that you are late and then hitting you with default interest rates and late fees is not new within the Credit Industry.

We are in a Depression and the Credit Industry is pulling every move they can to get as much money out of the average credit consumer as they can--regardless of the means--legal or illegal.

"Providian of San Francisco" was prosecuted and found guilty of holding consumer credit card payments for 2-3 weeks in order to enure that there was a late fee and a HUGE default interest rate fee hike stuck to to all of their customers during 1999. I unfortunately was affected by the scandel as I lived in SF at the time and had a SF Providian card as well.

You are being defrauded by Citi "Trust" Bank, fsb., /CitiFinancial Services and their other subsidiaries--I highly advise that you call an attorney.

Peace,
Hobo
Li
  24th of Sep, 2008
Mr. Chou,
I am having lots of problems with Citifinancial Retail Services right now. I sent them and check in the mail 2 weeks before my due date for $150.00 dollars & when they processed my check they did it electronically and entered it for only $50.00. My monthly payments is $67.00. So now they added multiple late fees on to my account and are harrassing me @ my work place, my cell phone, and even calling my mother whom I do not reside with. Did you ever get your issue resolved and if so, how long did it take to get things resolved? They call me at the least 4 times a day. I have spoken with a supervisor by the name of Romeo on two occasions and he keeps stating he will get them to stop calling me, credit my account, and get things corrected. None of things have happened as of yet. This has been going on for right at two months now.

LiLi
Florida
Jm
  26th of Mar, 2009
You're the idiot if you had the money and not making regular monthly payments. After using your purchase for a year and a half you post a check one week before due date!?! What an idiot. At least post 45 days in advance so you still have time to settle any delta on the final bill. You must be either young or stupid or both.
Lo
  30th of Apr, 2009
I'm glad to hear others are having problems, as I have too. I call company because I had got more furniture added to my account. When I purchase furniture I was told there would be no changes to my payment just a longer period before paying no interest. BULL!! . My payment went up 104.00 more . Of course in the begining I paid the regular payment until I was hit with late fees. Yes the credit industries is trying to scam you more now than ever and I say also "PROTECT YOURSELF!!!"
Li
  5th of May, 2009
we have some of the same issues with Citifinancial retail services. They call constantly, day and night. Has anyone ever resolved their issues with citi in a positive way. What did you do. I feel so helpless right now. Although we made our final payment in advance of the due date, i believe they held the payment and now we can't prove exactly when they received it because it is their word against ours They want almost $1000 of back interest when we paid on time!!! What can I do now. They call 4 times a day!
Cj
  11th of Oct, 2009
Be very aware I took Citifinancial up on there skip a payment program thinking I could use that money to get some early Christmas gifts and they ended up screwing me out of a lot of money. When you do their skip a payment program they re right your whole contract and it took me back to ground zero like I havn't paid them a thing and I have been paying for a year. BE AWARE OF THE SKIP A PAYMENT PROGRAM. THIS COMPANY TAKES YOU FOR EVERY CENT YOU GOT. STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS THIS COMPANY WILL ONLY HURT YOU THEN HELP YOU AND STEP ON EVERY LITTLE GUY THEY CAN.

CitiFinancial Servicing Logo CitiFinancial Servicing