Circuit City Purchaase, Computer Hp / Rebate scam

1 PO Box 540040 El Paso, TX 88554Myrtle Beach, SC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1(866 754--7717

I purchased a HP Vista home computer on thur Nov 26, from Circuit City in Myrtle Beach It was a promo sale that day only, $ 479.99 including printer
and 19 inch monitor. I decided to up grade the monitor to a 22 inch for an extra 79.00, then I purchased a portable usb to transfer info from my old computer to the new one., also a microsoft security office utility, along with a cable surge. After it was all added up the total was $ 843.10. I was told that I would get a rebate of 70.00 for the internet security and 13.00 for the portable USB . I sent all the required information three days later and was told that it would take a full eight weeks to recieve my rebate check.I called the rebate people and they told me that a check for $70.00 and $13.00 was written on January 21st and just wait another week if it did not arrive. It didn't I called once again and was told the check was written on Jan 21st and that I should wait until the Feb 21st, if I did nor recieve it then they would write another check. I think they are trying to hurry up and go out of business and not pay anyone their rebates. What can be done to force these unethical horrible businesses to pay up. No wonder they are goung out of business. One last thing they failed to give me the promo discount and I am told that they won't do anythin about that. My reciept say promo discount applied but the amount is .00 on my reciept. I have all the information, however they refuse to help me. I feel that the sales people took advantage of me. I am a retired Cosmetology teacher and live on a fixed income.
Sincerely Judy

Ju

Comments

Cg
  1st of Mar, 2009

Hi Judy. I am out $150 for an HP laptop. I got the same story about check being cut but it wasn't received and to call back in 30 days. Now that it has been 30 days, they have changed the message to one where they can no longer give any information about rebate checks. I believe that they had no intention of honoring any of these rebates when they ran the Black Friday promotions.

Ri
  7th of Mar, 2009

I also am out $180.00 in rebates from computer/printer purchase made on Black Friday at Circuit City. The day I heard Circuit City was closing I called to inquire if rebate checks were still going to be mailed and I was told yes. Then I got the same run around, I received e-mails saying the checks were printed on 1/22/09 and was even given the check numbers and told I would receive them in next 5-10 business days. Of course I never received them so I called and was told I had to wait 30 days and if I didn't receive them they could issue a new check. When I didn't receive them I called and was told they were never mailed out and that they would be going out in the next few days and I should receive them in 15 days. Again I never received them and called back and was told the same thing so I asked to speak to a manager who first tried to tell me the same thing and then he asked me to hold on a minute and then got back on and told me he has been instructed not to give me any more info. The last I called I also got a recorded message saying they can no longer give information out. I got no help from the store and I tried calling CC headquarters but get messages saying the line is no longer a working line. Several times I asked the rebate center were they just stringing us along until the stores closed and we could no longer do anything about it but they assured me that is not what was happening.

7th of Mar, 2009

I too got screwed. This was an absolute scam by Circuit City & Parago, before Circuit City closed. The response I got from Parago, the company that manages the circuit city rebates was...

"Thank you for your rebate inquiry. We apologize for any inconvenience, unfortunately is true that our stores are closing, but we are still processing your rebates and will be honored as promised. We are pleased to inform you that check number 9491226 was sent to be printed on 01/21/2009. Generally, customers receive their checks within 7-10 business days from this date but we must wait 30 days before we can reissue a check. If you have not received your check within 30 days of the printing date, please contact us again and we will be happy to stop payment on the original check and issue a new one. Be sure to include your complete mailing address at that
time so that we can verify it against the address we ave on file."

Pa
  8th of Mar, 2009

I had similar problem. I purchased a HP laptop and a printer in after Thanksgiving sale. The laptop had 150$ rebate and the printer had 20$ rebate. I tried to follow up and they informed me that the checks have been printed on 01/21/09 and they gave me check numbers too. When I tried to follow up when I didn't receive the checks, the asked me to wait for 30 days until 02/21/09. I never received any checks and then now neither their rebates website works nor the phone numbers listed. The rebate option on the 800 number does not work! This is a scam!

Ir
  19th of Mar, 2009

I had similar problem too. I bought a computer camera and supposed to get $50 rebate. Also, three of my friends bought one each and they were supposed to get $50 rebate too. This was all on black friday. On january, 29 I get an email from circuit city saying that rebate was processed and that I should recive the check in 5-10 business days. They also provided the confirmation number. A month and a half passed and none of us receved a check. Since ccity is closed I called the manufacturer directly and that is Logitech. I gave them my confirmation number and they found my case, but they said they cant do anything since ccity is out of business. I think they screwed us all people. Is there any way that we could all get together somehow and sue the all together?

Bi
  20th of Mar, 2009

I bought the same hp laptop on black friday I can tell you this don"t exspect a check at all I ask my lawyer kiss it good by. they will get away with it they been do this for the last 5 yr with no one say anything theres web sites all over that back dates to 2005 . I think we all should complain to the manufactures like hp, we people consumers need too fight back complain to the state of calif for fraud not scam they knew they did not have the money. i got the same email like everyone the checks in the mail ha ha .

Jo
  28th of Mar, 2009

Yep, I have been getting the same run-around from Circuit City. I bought a $90 Logitech WebCam only because it had a $70 CC rebate. Filled out and sent rebate thru CC website in November. Have gotten email indicating check has been printed and sent, they provided the check number as well. Didnt get check, called in January and they mentioned check in 7 more days, called in 8days since no check arrived. They then mentioned wait 30days since they are having Rebate System issues. Called 32days later (Feb) and got 30day message again. Tried calling again, no longer routing to an agent. This is killing me sine I only bought this due to rebate, and yes Im on fixed income too. This is unacceptable and BBB needs to follow-up and get the money out to customers as Parago will still be in business. No wonder they are Out-Of-Business. Nuff Said.

Ro
  1st of Apr, 2009

Damit! What a nightmare! I too, bought the HP Laptop and got the run around asking me to resubmit the rebate and await unitl Feb 21st and of course, they close up and run! What the heck!? Is this even legal? I would not have purchased the labtop if it wasnt for this rebate so this would be considered false advertisment or something..I dont know..im just super upset and want to raise hell! Agh!!! If anyone finds out how to go about getting the rebate...PLEASE...post the info!!

Co
  6th of Apr, 2009

I was one of the victims as well, i purchased an HP laptop on black friday, first the website showed $150 cc rebate and a $50 manufacturer rebate so i purchased this item based on that price which came out to $350 but it all went downhill from there...I called the store to see if they had it in stock and they did so i went, when i got there the price was different and they didnt want to honor the website price so i went back home and purchased it online then went to pick it up at the store...i submitted my rebate application immediately the day after and after that i was given the same run around everyone here was given, they said the checks were printed on 01/22/09, to give it 30 days or another check will be re-issued, well here i am like an idiot checking my mail everyday but nothing...im glad i came across this website cuz now i know its a scam...plz post any info about how to handle this situation, this cant be legal!!!

Ar
  11th of Apr, 2009

I too got screwed up. I bought Logitech webcam on black friday for $60 which had a mail in rebate of $50. I submited all required documents. after couple of weeks, i got a mail from ccity saying a check has been dispached. After that the same story repeated as everyone explained above. This seems to be big scam as lot of victims are there.

Ge
  13th of Apr, 2009

I also got the Logitech webcam, check issues 1/23/09, no check ever received. SOMEBODY has to be starting a class action lawsuit somewhere... where can we sign up?

Wi
  5th of May, 2009

Contact Parago again as I was told by them that the rebate checks previously stopped in January by the Circuit City bankruptcy have now been approved to be released and will be sent out shortly.

Ew
  6th of May, 2009

I cant believe this!!! I thought I was the only one who got screwed.. Same thing. stating that the ck was mailed out on 1/21/09. 3 times they told me they canceled the ck and sent a new one. I also tried calling headquarters and nothing. I too depended on this ck to pay off the balance on my credit card which I put it on . All the employees should be ashamed, they all new cicuit city was going out of business and still let everyone buy this stuff thinking we could trust this company

Ra
  16th of May, 2009

I had the same exact problem. #1 in line on Black Friday in Vestal, NY, purchased the HP laptop with the $150 rebate and $20 rebate for the printer. I recieved the same reply to my emails that a check had been mailed out and to wait because they couldn't do anything until 30 days had past. Is there anyone that know about a class action suit that we can all join? Please let me know
Thanks
Ray
Ray1016@aol.com

Va
  18th of May, 2009

I also have the same problem. 150 on the HP laptop. We all should file a class suit against it. Plese let me know..
Vasanth
dsrvasanth@rediffmail.com

Co
  21st of May, 2009

Good news guys, i received my $150 rebate check so i guess they actually came to their senses and started to send them out, just thought you guys should know! Good Luck & Thanks!

Wi
  21st of May, 2009

I just gott my $150 rebate check from Parago on behlaf of Circuit City. Below is a redacted version of the email I received from a Parago officer on 5/5/09 and referred to above in post above by WillSee :

Due to Circuit City's bankruptcy proceedings, the check run we had queued up in January (checks are cut off of a Circuit City bank account) was stopped due to an order from the bankruptcy court. Last week, the courts approved the release of all checks that were pending. At Parago, we are working on the reversal and re queue of the stopped check runs. We anticipate the checks will be printed and released within a few days. Please keep my email address and check back in as often as you would like. On behalf of Circuit City, we apologize for this delay and inconvenience. Sincerely . . . . Parago, Inc. . . . ."

13th of Jul, 2009

>>Phone: 4085166277

>>Rebate For: January

>>Tracking Number: 306210043

13th of Jul, 2009

Would be great if some body gives me a call or just send me a single mail.Its more then 8 months ...

Kevin...