Circuit City / False advertising continues to run rampant

On Thursday afternoon, November 23, after viewing the special ‘After Thanksgiving’ circular, I planned on purchasing the 32-inch Olevia LCD television advertised for $499.99. On November 24 I waited in line at the Braintree, MA location only to find that the location had a limited number of televisions. Unable to obtain a voucher to purchase a television and after asking for a raincheck, the sales clerks suggested I check www.circuitcity.com during the day, in the event a few more were released for online purchasing. As luck would have it, around 4:30, I noticed that the television was available online this time for $474.99, a price noted as valid through November 25, if I purchased the item.

Quickly I began to enter my information online when all of a sudden my page refreshed and my information disappeared. Also gone was any reference to the television. When I called Customer Service I was told that the television was not available. They had no idea what I was talking about when I told them that I saw it on the website no more than 10 minutes prior to my call. I then called a few of the local locations; hoping one would be in stock. The Taunton, MA location had two but they were on hold for those customers who had a voucher. They would be able to release them on Saturday if they were not purchased by the close of business on Friday.

At 9:00 Saturday morning I called the Taunton, MA location and the television sets that were in stock on Friday were now sold. Again I checked www.circuitcity.com and found that the televisions were again being offered for $474.99. I called around and found that the Burlington, MA location had three of the 32-inch televisions in stock, but according to the clerk in televisions, the price was now $849.99. I questioned him about the online price being $474.99 and after checking he stated that the Burlington, MA location would be able to match the price but unfortunately they could not hold one aside. Off I drove, some 30 miles, but once I arrived things changed namely the offer to price match.

According to the manager, an error was made with regards to the Saturday morning price and the incorrect price was being pulled from www.circuitcity.com. And, even with a copy of the attached document in hand, the manager refused to consider honoring the advertised price. Dissatisfied with the blatant display of false advertising, I asked for a telephone number for the District Manager and was referred to [protected]. There I was to ask for Oz Engin. Unbeknownst to me, I reached Customer Service and the representative was unable to assist beyond telling me that the item was $849.99. Furthermore, I was not able to speak with a District Manager.

As the 32-inch Olevia LCD television is no longer available I requested Circuit City honor the price quoted online ($474.99) on Friday, November 24, by refunding me 125% of the difference between the Circuit City advertised price and what I paid by going to a local competitor, who advertised the same exact make and model of LCD television. I have made several attempts (phone, email, and in writing) and am awaiting a response from their corporate offices.

Comments

• Va
      1st of Feb, 2007

On Tuesday, January 30th, 2007 in my home delivered newspaper was a Circuit City advertising 8-page flyer from Circuit City. Looking at the front as bold as can be (there are only 2 items listed) was a laptop computer with the features I have been looking for to buy, one for my wife and another one for my son Anthony who will be starting college in September.

I went to my local Circuit City store at 7001 Sunrise Highway, Holbrook, NY 11741 to purchase two of these laptops at $649.99, price quoted in advertising flyer. I walked to the Computer dept.; ask for assistants in locating two of these laptops in the flyer. The salesman looked for about 5 minutes, then was gone for another 15 minutes. When he came back he told me that was a misprint. The price is $849.99. I told him I want the laptops for $649.99 the price quoted in the flyer. He refused. I asked for the store manager (Najee). I was told he was in a meeting there in the store and couldn't come see me and that they are not responsible for advertising misprints. I again asked for the store manager and was told he was home now. I then asked for whoever was acting manager presently. After another 15 minutes Andrew came to see me. He told me the same thing about misprints. He said he would give me $50.00 off another computer. I told him I want to buy two of the ones in the flyer for the price quoted at $649.99. He refused to sell it to me. I have contacted CEO Philip J. Schoonover who doesn't return my calls but has his supposedly Executive Assistant Mr. Dagenhart called me to tell me that Circuit City is only standing behind the $50.00 off offer given to me at the store. I feel I should be given the offer stated in the advertising flyer. Also speaking to Circuit City's consumer service people I was given case number 547209. Are large corporations allowed to lure consumers into their store with false advertising and should consumers have to deal with these horrible selling practices?

12th of Mar, 2007

I bought two desktop Sony computers from Circuit City. One VGC-V617G on 12/02/06 for $541.17 and the other VGC-RB50 on 12/24/06 for $325.77. I was told by the sales rep that I would receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista when it was released for each computer I bought. I printed out the web page advertisement from 12/28/06 that states " Circuit City customers who purchase a Windows XP notebook or desktop computer between Oct 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade to Microsoft Vista operating system". When I clicked on the link to Sony to apply for my free upgrade, the models of computers that I bought are not listed and as such I am not eligible for the free upgrade. The store here in San Antonio (Windcrest) would not help me. The store Rep was Cameron and the Store Manager, Christopher Mora, said he couldn't help. I asked for the addresses and/or phone numbers of their District Manager and Regional Vice President and all I got was names but no contact information.

I wrote to the Better Business Bureau of Virginia and got a response from Circuit City that they would not honor what was written on their website. This is false advertising and Circuit City should provided what they advertised on their Website. The Website information has since changed, but it plainly stated about the upgrade when I bought the computers. If Circuit City is unwilling to comply with what was stated, then I would like to return the computers for a full refund.

• Up
      3rd of Oct, 2007

Remember those recent Circuit City commercials showing customers in the return line advertising the company's easy return policy? Those days were short lived.

Circuit City charges restocking fees, has horrible customer service at the stores and at their corporate office. It's hard to get anywhere calling their 800 number. Let's cut through the red tape. Here is Circuit City's contact information:

-Contact Circuit City

amhenderson@kaufcan.com
    Fax: (804) 418-8248

-File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau
    www.bbb.org

-File a complaint with your credit card company

-File a complaint with your state's Attorney General's office

-File a complaint with Virginia's Attorney General's office. This is where Circuit City's corporate office is located.
    www.oag.state.va.us

-If Circuit City still does nothing, file charges in Small Claims Court.

Circuit City Telemarketing Calls
    If you get a telephone call from 804-747-6434, it's probably a telemarketing call from Circuit City's Warranty Department. The address that the phone number is registered to is Circuit City Express, PO Box 42344, Richmond, VA 23242.