CIC Triple Advantage / Unauthorized billing!

This isn't a complaint against the company, I'm just giving out information to everyone that's going to complain on the company. I've dealt with FreeCreditReport.com before and have NEVER had any trouble with the website, nor have I been billed. All I had to do was READ THE WEBSITE. If you go onto FreeCreditReport.com before you even put your name in to get the report it says the following:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

ConsumerInfo.com and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com."

So... they're already letting you know you have 30 days to cancel the membership you're joining. Just in case you don't catch that one, right after you put in your credit card number it also says this:

"Payment Information:

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 30-day trial period, you will be billed $12.95 for each month that you continue your membership. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time to discontinue the membership and stop the monthly billing; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month's paid membership fee. "

So... it LITERALLY tells you "Hey, if you don't cancel, you'll be billed for our monitoring service, but if you cancel you won't be billed." Now if you want to cancel... it's quite a simple process. You go to FreeCreditReport.com and click on the button that says "CONTACT US." And when you click there, lo and behold it says : "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP. If you would like to cancel your membership, for your security, please call our toll-free number at [protected]."

So, if you people who are complaining about the site would actually take a second to read the words on there other than "FREE" you'd know why you're being billed. Also, I don't know if it's just my personal common sense, but any time a company says something is "FREE" and they ask for any type of PAYMENT INFORMATION I backtrack and re-read the website. Just a tip for all of you who plan to launch a complaint on CIC/Triple Advantage.

Ad

Comments

Jo
  11th of Jun, 2007

Adam,
Why do you defend this deception?

I signed up (oops) and got my "Free Report"... Yah... free as in lunch. Then, after a while, the Billing for $12.95 shows up on my CC, small enough to be off the radar... and it says CIC Triple Advantage... How does this lead back to Freecreditreport.com??? Is this anything but deceptive?

Its not like FCR or Experian are giving me any service... even when I just tried to access something, I have to pay again???

Adam, I cant see anyone defending these slippery tactics, unless you are getting your wheel greased, or you work for FreeCreditreport.com.

This is a subversive and disappointing service. I feel duped.

BTW - you can't cancel on line. You have to call during Their Office Hours. Am sure they put their speediest typists on that line too!

There ought to be a law against this.

I hate rewarding assh*les, like ones that siphon my bank account, and jerks that merge onto exit ramps at the last second.

John Westerdale

## Highly irritated ##

Da
  18th of Jun, 2007

What happens when someone orders a free credit report for themselves using you debit card without your knowledge?

I called CIC and they said that they could not cancel the service unless the person that ordered the report called and canceled the membership. I calmly explained that whomever had ordered the report (they would not give me a name) did not have permission to use my card. They simply directed me to my bank to have the bank put a stop payment on the account.

After I explained that I worked for a major law firm and would not hesitate to file suit against them if they did not cancel the service, they agreed.

Low and behold, the next month on my bank statement, there it appeared, a charge for $12.95 deducted by CIC CE Credit Report. The charge the month before was listed as CIC Triple Adv.

Adam, do you still think that are on the up and up?

If you want a free credit report, the best thing to do is write the credit reporting agency (Experian Transunion or whomever) and request one by mail. It takes a little longer, but the hassle of not having to deal with these people is worth the wait.

By the way, when I called CIC back, they had no record of my call the previous month. Luckily, I had also send a letter certified mail and had the receipt for it.

THIS IS A SCAM!!!

Sc
  4th of Jul, 2007

Like most of you who have already posted, I was charged fees under the name Triple Advantage without any intention on my part to sign up for the service. This subscription and purported service resulted from my efforts to obtain a free credit report from freecreditreport.com. When I tried to cancel, the operator tried to cross-sell me on other products. I was informed that they could not refund me any of the fees because they were "valid."

Freecreditreport.com is owned by ConsumerInfo.com, which in turn is now owned by Experian. There are thousands of reports to the Better Business Bureau regarding this same problem. A class action lawsuit occurred in 2003 and resulted in a nearly 1 billion dollar judgment. This obviously did not encourage the company to refrain from this deceitful behavior. Perhaps a more direct appeal to the source of the problem is appropriate.

The founder of ConsumerInfo.com and CEO of the Experian Interactive Division of Experian is Ed Ojdana. I recommend that each and every one of you who reads this message, and is dissatisfied with the way they have been treated, email Mr. Ojdana at ed.ojdana@consumerinfo.com or ed.ojdana@experian.com. Let him know that consumers do not appreciate his condonation of such practices and demand a refund. Continue emailing him until you receive a satisfactory response. Do not let him hide behind the corporate structure that is designed to steal your money. If you find his phone number, I would love to know it. I have been unable to find it to this point.

Mi
  7th of Jul, 2007

There were 3 charges on my credit card of $12.00, $12.00, and $9.00 that I do not know what they are for and I did not charge anything from this company to this credit card.

Nc
  10th of Jul, 2007

Thanks for the info, it took me 30 min just figure out who CIC triple advantage was. Freecreditreport.com makes it seem like you are entering your card info for the purpose of checking your credit and that their service is free.

Tr
  16th of Jul, 2007

I have a credit card that keeps getting billed by this company. I do not even know who they are. I have never used any service that they might provide. I do not appreciate charges on my account that I was not aware of. How can they get away with this? Can't something be done legally?

Plz advise smb!

Al
  24th of Jul, 2007

CIC is billing me monthly for a service I do not use, do not need and I never wanted. I have called them, now I am writing to them to tell them this is identity theft, because; I never approved CIC Triple Advantage to use my credit card, CIC never made it clear to me their intention to withdrawal money from my personal debit money account without my permission. I want to report CIC to the attorney general and any other government agency that is applicable, including the BBB. CIC has obviously defrauded me out of twelve dollars each month starting April 16, 2007 until July 16th; that is four months of theft of money from my debit /checking account!

La
  25th of Jul, 2007

Just for further information - I called the number that is listed on the website and the one you listed in your comment 1-877-481-6826 and it rang and rang w/ no answer. Then a voice came on and said "system on" - over and over again. So this is a bogus number. I finally reached the company at 877-481-6825 - the number that appeared on my credit card bill. The agent said he would credit my account and I would receive a confirmation cancellation email w/in 2 hours.

Ma
  25th of Jul, 2007

You might try calling them. If you did not sign up then someone using your card.

La
  2nd of Aug, 2007

So am when I call and cancel, will both the charges come off? I am being billed for CIC and a minicredit report that I have no idea what it is.

Me
  22nd of Aug, 2007

I don't know how you got an agent to credit your account at the 877-481-6825 number. The person who answered said it was a private line (and answered the phone that way). It's too late in the evening now to try the other number, but I will try both online and the 877-481-6826 number. I usually read all the fine print, but don't recall the statements Adam mentions as being that easy to find and read. Hmmm...

Me
  22nd of Aug, 2007

One question for Adam: You said, "Now if you want to cancel... it's quite a simple process. You go to FreeCreditReport.com and click on the button that says "CONTACT US." And when you click there, lo and behold it says : "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP." However, there is no such button under "Contact us." Nor is there anything under "FAQ" or "About us." In fact, they include lots of information about how to dispute bills, but nothing on how to cancel membership online.

For everyone who missed the really find print, I now have an address and will use that to cancel my membership in writing. That address is: ConsumerInfo.com
Attn: Customer Care
P.O Box 19729
Irvine, CA 92623-9729

The telephone number listed on the site gives: 1-877-481-6826 which I intend to call tomorrow morning. Good luck all!

Tr
  28th of Aug, 2007

I received the same deception. I used the service through a banking service, which is an assumption. I believe there is some type of "misconduct" here. The reason I say is because I would have never used my checking account for a rolling payment, so I am not sure what to say, but I will say this. I called the number mentioned by the individual above and they easy and quick canceled my account and credited me partially back what they charge. I was charged three time and got back two, wo I am happy. I can't honestly remember doing such a thing, but hey my bad and their bad.

He
  29th of Aug, 2007

Like the rest of you, I have been struggling to get my membership canceled (I didn't request one in the first place), and the charges refunded. Today, I finally found a phone number that was answered quickly. The person initially refused to refund the charges, and when I asked to speak with a supervisor, she put me on hold briefly. When she came back, she told me her supervisor had authorized the refund I was requesting, and gave me her name and a confirmation number. Lorey was her name.

Ch
  29th of Aug, 2007

I went over to Google and typed in "Triple Advantage", and it took me to Experian. I sent them an email about it, and I saw the money deposited back into my account within 3-4 days.

Al
  5th of Sep, 2007

I am being charged for months now. This fee of 12.95 and totally was unable to figure out when, where and how this fee comes from. This is absolutely crazy. I finally after months found this site. Thanks you guys for the phone number calling them today... Something has to be done... these son of bit**es can't keep doing this... not even my bank had information on them. I haven't even ever received any kind of notification from that at all. Not even a happy birthday greeting. So what the hell are they charging for...

Mi
  13th of Sep, 2007

I received a 12.95 charge on my checking account from CIC Triple Advantage. I had never heard of the company and knew I had not made the charge. I went online and found out that this is a credit "protection" plan and it was automatically deducted from my account after visiting "freecreditreport.com" I called the company at 1-800-388-8725 and in four minutes had my account canceled. The representative tried to say it was in my wife's name but after I "insisted" he cancel he did.

Em
  27th of Sep, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly Adam. I'm sorry, but if you had to give your cc info did you really think it would be free? I signed up to get the report, saw the "fine print" which is the same size font as the other print on the page, got my free report, called the number provided when I clicked on "contact us" to cancel the membership two days later. The person I spoke with tried to talk me into keeping it, which was expected, but I got it cancelled and was never billed a dime. So I guess Adam and I are supergenuises for being able to figure this out.

Fe
  28th of Sep, 2007

I was charged for 4 month's membership fee and didn't find out until today! I called CIC customer to cancel my account, they did but refused to refund the money to me. I then called my credit card company to dispute the charges, but the credit card rep put me on the phone with another rep from the CIC and let me deal with them directly. Again, CIC refused to refund the money, and asked me to send a letter to one of their departments to request a refund. I faxed my letter to them but God knows what's gonna happen next. I am sure they'll try everything to keep my money. This is such a fraud! I hate their way of stealing consumer's money. I can't imagine how many victims are out there. Luckily I checked my credit card statement today, otherwise I would lose more money.

Ri
  30th of Sep, 2007

They sold me a service and there is no service there unless I buy more and more services from them. This is scam and cheating! Beware!

VERY MAD MARK!!!