Chase Credit Card Services / unauthorized charges

Chase sent us a 3% offer on all transfers for the life of the account, so we transferred the rest of our cards, and closed those accounts, to chase knowing we would not find anything lower than 3%. We mailed in our payment the day we received a bill. For nearly 6 months everything was fine.

One month we received our bill on the normal date and mailed off our payment the day after, like usual, two to three weeks before the due date. The next month we open our bill to find that our % rate had been raised from %3.00 to %14.99, we called to find out why, they replied that they had not received the payment until 12 hours, yes 12 hours past the due date. They had held on the check until the day after our account was due.

I asked them to please put the % rate back down and they refused saying that they had not received it until the day after the due date. The check was dated for two weeks before the due date and they refused to send me the postmarked envelope in which the payment was received saying they had lost it. Chase is a predatory credit company who should not be allowed to do business in this country.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      11th of Dec, 2008

• Af
      28th of Jun, 2009

I took an offer from Chase a while ago to transfer balances. They promised a low fixed rate for the life of the loan. I paid a balance transfer fee at that time. I have paid the debt down from $20, 000 to $13, 900 so far, always paying the minimum or more. They informed me today that my minimum monthly payment will be raised from $280 to around $700. I will not be able to afford this. I am a sole proprietor and a single woman. I have been just making ends meet recently. My credit is still good but this looks like it could push me into bankruptcy. I have read numerous accounts of other hardworking people who are in the same boat because of Chase's policy. There is no "opt out" clause. It seems that Chase is doing this to their customers who contracted with them for a lower rate and they are now breaking that contract with us. Furthermore, this could turn into a personal financial disaster for myself and many others and possible cause a second mass default crisis in this country, (this time with credit cards rather than mortgages). This move by Chase blatantly flies in the face of the spirit of the new law which is supposed to protect consumers from unfair practices by big financial companies. From the outside, it does not look like good business either. The amount defaulted by exhausted working people may indeed exceed the moneys redeemed by the extra fees and charges.