CenturyLink / long distance fraud

1 FL, United States Review updated:

We were recently surprised by a $17, 000 charge for International calls to Guinea. Apparently, fraudsters hacked into our phone system and made 3 days worth of calls to the same number in Guinea @ $.99/minute. CenturyLink holds firm that we are responsible for these charges. Anyone out there had this situation taken care of any better? Please help!

Comments

• Ce
      11th of Jun, 2015

They charged me $1, 375 for 475 minutes to the Philippines. They had disconnected my service when I asked them to suspend it for a month while on vacation. When I returned and found I had no service and contacted them to set up every "just like before". Just like before means the landline was only suppose to make local calls - no long distance, not even to the next city. I have a Vonage modem that plugs into their modem on which I pay $30/months for 3, 000 minutes to the Philippines. I had moved one of my phones to the CenturyLink Modem when I was testing it, wondering why I had no service (and later finding out it they stopped services).

I got the same attitude. They refuse to work with me, not even a little reduction in the bill. I offered a compromise even though I believe I don't owe this 1) it happened because they cancelled my service without authorization 2) created a new account different that the one I had (same phone number). 3) and then charged me about $3, 00/minutes. If I had used the whole 3, 000 minutes I have with Vonage, and used CenturyLink by mistake that would amount to nearly $10, 000! I can see not even that would phase them. I never agreed to the rate, or any long distance service. And the manager, Tabatha, said, "there's nothing I can do for you" and hung up on me. The two people with the ability to credit my account were rude and constantly interrupted me. And no apology that my account was cancelled in the first place. And this is just latest of a series of incompetent representatives that have caused me to be on the phone for over 25 hours around these last 3 months. CenturyLink has a bad reputation. Now I know why. Avoid CenturyLink like the plague.