Centerpoint Energy / charging for anything they can!!!

P.O. Box 2628Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
I have 5 children the youngest is 7 months old. It is such a hassle making a payment to Centerpoint, I usually put it off. Since I don't deal with mailing checks, I use my credit card over the phone. First I have to call Centerpoint (on the phone for about 10-15 minutes)just to get the phone number to call for Bill Matrix to make my payment (another 5-10 minutes) plus they charge a 2.95 charge for electronic checks or plastic. THEN I have to call Centerpoint AGAIN (Another 10-15 minutes of phone time) to give them the confirmation code.

Well, my gas was cut off yesterday evening, no knocker...nothing. So I had called Centerpoint, the electronic voice said 61.08 plus $20.00 reconnect fee. But being that I wanted to speak to a person, I had to call back. I finally got through to a person and was told 157.00 and that our service wouldn't be reconnected until Tuesday. Today is Thursday!!! 5 kids, 2 adults, no hot water for 6 freaking days!?!?!?!?! The guy, can't remember his name said there was no way they could make it out here until Tuesday.

Grumbling, I got off the phone called and made the $157.00 payment, plus an additional 2.95 Bill matrix payment fee.

I called Centerpoint energy back with the confirmation code and still pretty ticked off that my service wouldn't be reconnected until Tuesday. Then by the lady I was speaking to with the receipt number, she tells me that I can pay an additional $35.00 OVERTIME fee for them to reconnect today. But through Bill Matrix of course. They have to have that additional $2.95 ya know! But I had to do what I had to do for my babies!!!

So I called, made the payment to Bill Matrix and then called Centerpoint back. They couldn't give me a time of when someone would be here, but someone has to be here! Good thing I have no life outside my house... ya right! DON'T THESE PEOPLE KNOW THAT WE HAVE TO WORK TOO!?!?!?!

They charge you an arm and a leg for everything. My bill was only 94.40 (Summertime, no heat, just hot water) and it totalled 157.00 for a reconnect fee, So it was 94.40 (gas) + 62.60 (reconnect fee) + 2.95 (pay it fee) + 35.00 (OVER TIME fee) + 2.95 (another pay it fee).

Did I mention that I can't go and make the payment at the actual company, because there isn't a Centerpoint energy or place to make a payment anywhere near. The closest one is in Lawton, Oklahoma which is about 50 miles away!!!

This just seem illegal to me and they are getting away with it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they started charging us to mail our bills to us!!! I know they charge us a stamp to mail our paper checks to them!!!

I'm so livid over this that I am thinking about calling my attorney to see if something or anything can be done! Gas prices are high enough!!!
Va

Comments

Er
  17th of Apr, 2009
It just happened to me. After being wrongfully disconnected and paying $62 to reconnect. The tell me that are going to take 3 days to recconect... What is this?? this an utility and public service that is considered a basic need. I think $62 is a big charge for 5 minutes they take reconnecting, I think they could work on saturdays.
I bet if they didn´t have the monopoly for the gas service in the area, I am most certain they wouldn´t have such a lousy customer service.
Re
  21st of Apr, 2009
HELLO, I HAVE A BILL WITH CENTER POINT ENERGY AND FOR THE LAST YEAR I WAS BILLED.FOR THE LAST TEN MONTHS THEY SAID MY METER WAS DEAD AND THEY COULD NOT GET A READING.THEY CUT MY GAS OFF TO CHANGE THE METER, CUT IT BACK ON AND CHARGED ME 785.00.CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID THEY CAN GO BACK SIX MONTHS.SO MY GAS BILL IS 785.00.ISN'T THERE JUSTICE OUT THERE, ISN'T THERE A LAWYER OR SOMEONE TO HELP.PLEASE LET ME KNOW I HAVE 2WEEKS TO GO BEFORE I HAVE NO GAS. E-MAIL ME AT arussell_sport1@comcast.net THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS
Di
  7th of Jul, 2010
centerpoint sucks. whether its reliant, txu or whomever, centerpoint comes out for all providers. we dont have a choice. all you can do is PRAY that you get someone that is in a good mood when they come out to cut your services off. we have to answer to centerpoint and so one day centerpoint will have their day in GOD's court. HE is the highest chain of command.

CenterPoint Energy Logo CenterPoint Energy